I hate running...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Having been a runnist and a cycler for over 35 years, I can say that of the two, running is much more preferable. You get fitter faster being the main benefit. A 40 minute run is ideal but a 40 minute bike ride? Wasting your time going out. Running is a lot more sociable. The race winners, especially fell runners, will happily chat with the last runner in great cameraderie but in a cycle race/sportive/duathlon, the winners happily ignore you and if your bike is inferior to theirs, beware. I'm not talking about on here, by the way. I've met loads of sociable people off here but I mean in competitive events only. Of course, you can do too much of anything and that's what I did so all my overuse running injuries means I have to get out the bike. Don't get me wrong, I love it and it's great but having extensive experience of both, I'm more a runninst than I am a cycler.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I thought runners were further down the socially inept scale than cyclists

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Who's scale? And no runner has ever been castigated (as far as I am aware) for jumping a red light!

Ah, sorry, I wasn't referring to the external perceptions of the outgroup but rather the characters themselves that are drawn to said groups.

Runners are lower down the food chain, they are weirder, geekier, odder, less socially able, etc, etc. This isn't to say that cyclists, as a group, consist of people that are the life and soul, quite the opposite, just not as bad as runners. Neither are as bad as plane/train spotters but you get the gist.

Take the OP for example, his previous persona of GrumpyGreg was based around his running whereas his cycling persona has forced him to drop the grumpy bit.

Pottsy

Well I'd like to represent the I love running party.

I did 14 miles yesterday morning and will probably pop out for a brief 3 or 4 miler this afternoon.

Mind you, I don't have breasts and could well be considered to be socially inept.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Ah, sorry, I wasn't referring to the external perceptions of the outgroup but rather the characters themselves that are drawn to said groups.

Runners are lower down the food chain, they are weirder, geekier, odder, less socially able, etc, etc. This isn't to say that cyclists, as a group, consist of people that are the life and soul, quite the opposite, just not as bad as runners. Neither are as bad as plane/train spotters but you get the gist.

No, I don't get the gist And wouldn't it be aptitude that tended to draw characters to the sport that best suits them? And where's the rule book that determines who comes where in which specific 'food chain' you think exists?

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't hate running per se. See the t's and c's in the OP which take a perfectly enjoyable communal activity and turn it into an hour of self flagellation. It would probably have been an 'OK' run without any one of the factors I listed, but combined they made it rubbish.

The people in my jogging club are lovely; though there are two castes, the joggers; sociable, helpful, encouraging types who like beer wine food and song, and the runners; emaciated, over-competitive, miserablists who live on a diet of chicken breast and tinned mackeral and who will jab their elbows in your solar plexus on a training run if they think it will get them past you.

My previous persona of "GrumpyGreg" a handle which is still alive and well in some parts - will I ever live it down? - was more, I think, a factor of doing a job that got on my, then sizeable, tits and having two teenage children. The only running I did back then was in pursuit of 30 muddied oafs - well 30 on a good day - who were chasing a pig's bladder around a field in Sussex watch by an old man and his dog. Much less stressed since I gave up refereeing.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Walking has its compensations:-
830334431_4fe038238e_m.jpg
Is that Corsica?

Top Bottom