I have a chest infection ... probably

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I'm recovering from my first dose of pneumonia - 2 months off the bike now but feeling the time to get back in the saddle could be soon. Still don't feel 100% but much better than 6 weeks ago! Very nasty condition indeed.

Yo will know if you can cycle or not when you are ill. I couldn't even walk and was shivering fully clothed in bed for 2 weeks - I doubt I'd of survived the walk to the shed to get the bike out!

I'm recovering from my first dose of pneumonia - 2 months off the bike now but feeling the time to get back in the saddle could be soon. Still don't feel 100% but much better than 6 weeks ago! Very nasty condition indeed.

Yo will know if you can cycle or not when you are ill. I couldn't even walk and was shivering fully clothed in bed for 2 weeks - I doubt I'd of survived the walk to the shed to get the bike out!

take it easy and don't push you're luck too soon. I once returned to work way too soon after a major illness & surgery with an 8 day stay in hospital. At the time I thought I was doing the right thing, looking back on it I was not.

thankfully I was vaccinated against pneumonia 9 years ago, when my GP realised I had not had one; I qualified because of the severity of my asthma. Has anyone else had the pneumonia vaccination?

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
There are two types of pneumo jab.....one given to children as part of the normal immunisation programme, and a version given predominantly to the elderly and people with chronic conditions such as asthma. I have had the latter jab a good few years ago.
It's worth pointing out that in medical terms "pneumonia" just means a chest infection. The term double pneumonia means an infection that is in both lungs. The general public think of pneumonia as a severe chest infection.
The pneumo jab only protects against certain bacteria that may cause a chest infection.....such as Pneumococcus.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
take it easy and don't push you're luck too soon. I once returned to work way too soon after a major illness & surgery with an 8 day stay in hospital. At the time I thought I was doing the right thing, looking back on it I was not.

Agreed. It's definitely possible, and actually very easy, to overdo it when you're ill, and make your condition far worse. (Been there, done that, didn't get a t-shirt but did end up in hospital.)

thankfully I was vaccinated against pneumonia 9 years ago, when my GP realised I had not had one; I qualified because of the severity of my asthma. Has anyone else had the pneumonia vaccination?

I didn't even realise they existed. I may talk to my doctor about it, since I'm in the fortunate position that I get whatever I want (within reason - I don't mean I just take random drugs) as long as I'm prepared to pay for it. I'm not dependent on the NHS to decide whether I'm worth spending the money on or not.

On that note, I was browsing online pharmacies last night (not because I have any intention of buying, but to compare prices), and I was shocked at the price of medication in the US. The reason I looked was because I'm considering whether to go back on Symbicort, which worked well for me in the UK, but seemed rather unnecessary - and probably expensive - when I moved to a country with a climate that suits me better. A lot of the US pharmacies are charging more than twice the price charged by Chemist Direct (UK based) for a single Symbicort inhaler, and that does allow for the currency conversion from US dollars to pounds. It doesn't look like it will be too expensive (no more than twice what I'm paying at the moment) so I may check with one of the pharmacies here, then speak to my doctor about it.

On that note, I was browsing online pharmacies last night (not because I have any intention of buying, but to compare prices), and I was shocked at the price of medication in the US. The reason I looked was because I'm considering whether to go back on Symbicort, which worked well for me in the UK, but seemed rather unnecessary - and probably expensive - when I moved to a country with a climate that suits me better. A lot of the US pharmacies are charging more than twice the price charged by Chemist Direct (UK based) for a single Symbicort inhaler, and that does allow for the currency conversion from US dollars to pounds. It doesn't look like it will be too expensive (no more than twice what I'm paying at the moment) so I may check with one of the pharmacies here, then speak to my doctor about it.

If it is the combined inhaler I am thinking of, the doses may not suit you if you are needing becotide 250mcg nowadays. I was asked to try if for a month, but it lasted less than a week simply because of the dosages issues, my asthma getting badly out of hand and me saying no. I found that keeping the 2 drugs as seperate inhalers worked better for me because it also allowed me to control the steriod dose (usually a case of more when needed rather than less regretfully) and keep the foradil dose constant. Foradil being formoterol fumarate (capsule that does into an inhaler), which I used to be on and was for many years however I found the capsules do not travel well at all and even on a 2 week tour they perished - the foil around them is very brittle and easily broken and they perish once any humidity gets to them.
I found tiotropium to be far more effective (and easier to transport, but the down side being it is a single dose a day). Have you tried atrovent which is Ipratropium (white inhaler with a green lid)? I find that amazingly good and suspect it is going to have to go back onto my offical drugs list for my asthma but that means a GP visit. It is a longer acting reliever but does not work immediately so you still need another releiver unlike salbutalmol or brycanol, but it is also all that controls my asthma attacks and is what I need on neubilser when I have to pay those unwelcome visits to A&E. I picked up 2 atrovent inhalers (which is what I am still using and rapidly running out) in Greece for around €9 each, so they are not too bad in the great scheme of things! With atrovent & tiotropium it is an either or situation btw but both can be used (at least for me they did) with foradil.

gbb

Legendary Member
How are the bad chests now, folks - any better?
Well, my chest and cough has finally gone last week, that was nearly a month with it...and worse still, it's been nearly a month off the bike. I don't commute now so getting out in the evening with a bad chest, in the cold has been impossible.
God help me once I do get back into it. I'm even struggling to find the motivation to get the turbo out. Roll on some decent weather.
Hope you're all feeling better as well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, my chest and cough has finally gone last week, that was nearly a month with it
Sounds nasty, but I'm glad that you are finally on the mend.
God help me once I do get back into it. I'm even struggling to find the motivation to get the turbo out. Roll on some decent weather.
It could be a long while yet! :whistle:

Hopefully, I will eventually get back on my bike but it is currently out of the question. Assuming that my health recovers to the point where I can handle some hard work again, I'll be interested to see how much residual fitness there is after 9-12 months away from cycling!

gbb

Legendary Member
Lost track of when this thread started, but if its still there Lulubel, hope it eases soon.
I'm off the bike, had a cough since Xmas day, from a cold that didnt really develop but it just left me with a hacking cough ever since.
Friday between Xmas and New Year, the wife called an amulance in the middle of the night when she found me writhing in agony on the bedroom floor...every breath hurt like being stabbed inside the ribcage, excruciating.
ECG, all the usual checks found nothing and it didnt recur...until last night, albeit not as painful.

Docs again this morning, various checks, nothing outwardly wrong apart from possible muscle strain from excess coughing, a heavy object lifted that may have strained something...or trapped air in the torso and i have a very slight infection probably. And acid, my lungs and windpipe feel hot sometimes. So many things going on, its difficult to know whats causing what, very fustrating, glad i don't smoke.
Maybe try for an easy ride tomorrow, i'm going stir crazy.

:whistle:...January and had a chest problem.
Fast forward to May, i'm still not right, but at least getting there. This has been the worst chest ive ever had, ever. TBF, 90 % of its ok now but i'm stuck with a lingering inability to draw a deep and good breath, still have a discomfort in my ribcage where I had that excruciating pain and noticed lately I get breathless when going upstairs etc. That drove me to revisit the docs... one X ray later...I've got Pleuritis as a result of that chest infection. Pleuritis, classic symptom apparently is a potentially excruciating pain in the ribcage...exactly what I had, so its been sitting there for maybe 3 months.
Its rather disappointing...one visit from paramedics, two visits to a docs, two visits to the drop in centre...and only got an Idea of whats causing it after a third visit to the docs, although ive been my own worst enemy as well by not going back soon enough.
Hardly turned a pedal since Christmas :ohmy: just a handful of outings. Amoxicillin, another xray in a week then further treatment and investigation if its still hanging in there.

The moral...don't put it off thinking it'll get better...it doesn't always work that way.

Top Bottom