I have a chest infection ... probably

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Might be a daft question with an obvious answer, but are a chest cold and chest infection one and the same thing?

colour of the stuff you are coughing up.
roughly....

clear & colourless or white is it has air bubbles in it is a chest cold but no infection
yellow - going down hill
green - infection
brown - old flem (usually)
red flecks - seek medical help immediately

EDIT: of course you don't always cough stuff up and sometimes I have only known I have had a chest infection by the fact my asthma is playing up badly, no cough, no pain, no crackles audible to human ear without a stethoscope...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This time, I'm pretty sure mine was caused by inhaling mould spores (ie bacteria).
I was exposed to mould spores before I got ill, and was blaming them until my DVT made itself obvious. Still, mould spores can be very nasty indeed. Actually, more of a fungal infection than bacterial though, surely?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
colour of the stuff you are coughing up.
roughly....

clear & colourless or white is it has air bubbles in it is a chest cold but no infection
yellow - going down hill
green - infection
brown - old flem (usually)
red flecks - seek medical help immediately

EDIT: of course you don't always cough stuff up and sometimes I have only known I have had a chest infection by the fact my asthma is playing up badly, no cough, no pain, no crackles audible to human ear without a stethoscope...

Ta. Nowt is coming up, I did have a decent rumble for a while I sounded like I was purring!

I'm hoping I'm on the mend now. I'm trying to reassure myself that three weeks of near activity (well, as inactive as you can be with a toddler) won't have totally destroyed the fitness I've worked hard to develop :sad:

AndyPeace

Might be a daft question with an obvious answer, but are a chest cold and chest infection one and the same thing?

A chest cold is a viral infection and a chest infection is a bacterial infection. Virus's infect our bacteria and body cells making us ill and are hard to kill, as they have a protective coating...antibiotics won't treat a viral infection. Bacterial infections are foriegn bacteria that have taken home in your body, antibiotics cure these.

Get Well Soon all!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
A chest cold is a viral infection and a chest infection is a bacterial infection. Virus's infect our bacteria and body cells making us ill and are hard to kill, as they have a protective coating...antibiotics won't treat a viral infection. Bacterial infections are foriegn bacteria that have taken home in your body, antibiotics cure these.

Get Well Soon all!

Thank you! I'm really hoping not to resort to antibiotics as I'm sure they give me thrush (tmi?).

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member

Also, I think it depends on how aggressive the infection is. If it's slow to develop, you're more likely to notice it at an early stage when you have very few symptoms (which is fortunately what seems to have happened to me this time). If it's a quick developing one, you could be coughing up green gunk before you know it.

I was exposed to mould spores before I got ill, and was blaming them until my DVT made itself obvious. Still, mould spores can be very nasty indeed. Actually, more of a fungal infection than bacterial though, surely?

You have a point. Could well be. At least the antibiotics seem to be doing the trick, whatever it is.

Thank you! I'm really hoping not to resort to antibiotics as I'm sure they give me thrush (tmi?).

same problem here as well. but I have found that if I can control my asthma I am often better not having antibiotics nowadays.
I also get the fungal infections on my skin as well from ABs.

Here too. I've actually found that drinking probiotic drinks while I'm taking the antibiotics puts a stop to that, although I believe there's no clinical evidence that they're beneficial. I drink probiotics all the time now because I've also had thrush from drinking excessively chlorinated tap water.

AndyPeace

This time, I'm pretty sure mine was caused by inhaling mould spores (ie bacteria). Asthmatic lungs tend to be pretty weak and prone to infection, so that's more likely to cause problems for someone like me than for someone with healthy lungs.

Although I doubt they're welcome in your body, fungus spores may not be what has infected you. They will likley have been killed by your bodies natural defense, but they're corpses make a great home for bacterial infections, along with any other gunk that we all inhale daily. Asthmatic lungs are more prone to infection because restricitve airways make it harder for the lungs to clean themselves out, leaving gunk which bacteria then take home in and multiply!

a regular steaming helps loosen up grime and goop thats got trapped and clear your chest. A spoonful of vapor rub mixed with a bowl of hot water, with your head under a towel for about 10mins, does the trick. I do this once a week through the winter, to help prevent infections.

tc

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
It is quite possible to have a viral chest infection which will not respond to anti-biotics.
There are also fungal type chest infections such as Aspergillosis which need prolonged treatment regimes, and then there are some bacterial infections that are caused by altered types of bacteria that are very difficult to treat with most anti-biotics such as Mycoplasma.
A mild chest infection will probably resolve itself as quickly without anti-biotics as with them.....and without the risk of side effects such as diarrhoea and thrush - so I choose to avoid anti-biotics where possible.
I am an asthmatic and having had 2 near fatal attacks my doctors will always prescribe anti-biotics if I go to them with asthma symptoms - but I know that usually the asthma has been triggered by a viral infection......so they won't work.
I am not advocating that anyone should disregard their doctor's advice - but if prescribed anti-biotics it is worth asking the doctor if they feel they are REALLY necessary, and sometimes when questioned the doctor will advise that you take the anti-biotics IF the symptoms get worse.
What is really important is if you start a course of Anti-biotics you finish it (unless advised otherwise)

Here too. I've actually found that drinking probiotic drinks while I'm taking the antibiotics puts a stop to that, although I believe there's no clinical evidence that they're beneficial. I drink probiotics all the time now because I've also had thrush from drinking excessively chlorinated tap water.

most unfortuantly involve milk in one form or another (yoghurt) and even when I could have dairy products, staying completely away from all dairy whilst ill (cold/cough/flu/any infection) was 100% essential for myself and many other asthmatics would benefit from it was well... so its probiotic capsules only...
Asthmatics also benefit from staying away from aspirin and taking paracetamol instead...

But I still get the skin infections no matter what I take with antibiotics, so they get treated with an anti-dandruff shampoo, but not just any, it has to be "selsun" which gets applied to the skin neat (only infected areas) twice a day and washed off after 5 mins. Works better than any prescription meds and was a tip given to me by my old GP. I also try to stay away from them because the first course never works or clears an infection completely, so a second week long course is always needed, (steriods also help the bugs grow & reproduce so can be counter productive), so by the time I have decided to see and GP and managed to see one, had 2 weeks of ABs which make me feel lousy (total 2.5 weeks so far), I may as well just take 3 weeks to get over it naturally if I can keep my asthma under control especially as I hate calling GP's out on house calls and I have to cycle a 12 mile round trip to see a GP... It's one of those balancing acts anyone with moderately severe asthma has to learn - to listen to your body.

Ironically both times I have been rescuitated, although it has been my asthma that was the problem that needed treatment, it was not a chest infection/bronchitis or anything like that that was the cause and first time around was as simply as getting fed up of being left out a school and deciding to slip away from the PE teachers as the rest of the year went out on the annual cross country run. I didn't make it. 2nd time round was a house fire coupled with a freezing november night air when evacuating the house. I have also had a very close call after a cleaner sprayed a perfumed cleaning product on my desk whilst I was sitting at it. The spray that day was set to very fine, and the fragrance more potent than normal. after that my work banned anything I was allergic to from that building, but it took an A&E visit after the senior school nurse (boarding school) could not control my asthma and had to ring 999.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Also, I think it depends on how aggressive the infection is. If it's slow to develop, you're more likely to notice it at an early stage when you have very few symptoms (which is fortunately what seems to have happened to me this time). If it's a quick developing one, you could be coughing up green gunk before you know it.

You have a point. Could well be. At least the antibiotics seem to be doing the trick, whatever it is.

Ooh, top tip! Ta! No more yeasty dibber!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I think Lulubel is correct to assert there's no good evidence that pro-biotic drinks work once in the gut.....because the bacteria in a pro-biotic drink will be killed by the hydrochloric acid in the stomach. They may have an effect on reducing thrush in the throat and oesophagus though. Having said this, I also would always drink pro-biotic drinks if taking anti-biotics and experientially find that this reduces the gastric symptoms such as diarrhoea. My favourite is Muller Vitality which is rather pleasant ......I have never managed to bite the bullet and try Yakult because it looks like curdled milk!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I think Lulubel is correct to assert there's no good evidence that pro-biotic drinks work once in the gut.....because the bacteria in a pro-biotic drink will be killed by the hydrochloric acid in the stomach. They may have an effect on reducing thrush in the throat and oesophagus though. Having said this, I also would always drink pro-biotic drinks if taking anti-biotics and experientially find that this reduces the gastric symptoms such as diarrhoea. My favourite is Muller Vitality which is rather pleasant ......I have never managed to bite the bullet and try Yakult because it looks like curdled milk!

My thrush occurs a lot lower than my throat!

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I am an asthmatic and having had 2 near fatal attacks my doctors will always prescribe anti-biotics if I go to them with asthma symptoms - but I know that usually the asthma has been triggered by a viral infection......so they won't work.
I am not advocating that anyone should disregard their doctor's advice - but if prescribed anti-biotics it is worth asking the doctor if they feel they are REALLY necessary, and sometimes when questioned the doctor will advise that you take the anti-biotics IF the symptoms get worse.

The only thing that really sets my asthma off badly is a chest infection. I've had 2 in the last 30 years, one that put me in hospital over the millenium, and the other when I was 13, which also put me in hospital. I had them more frequently when I was younger, I think, and was in hospital at least a couple of times with them as a young child. We lived in Southern Ireland for a few years, and had private medical care provided by the company Dad worked for, and when I was ill there - several times; the damp climate didn't agree with me at all - our private doctor did daily home visits until I recovered. (Obviously, it was in his financial interests to do that rather than admitting me to hospital, but it was also a lot less stressful for my family and myself, which I think actually helped with my recovery because a stressed asthmatic tends to be one who can't breathe very well!)

That's why I've chosen to take antibiotics at the first sign of a chest infection. The consequences of missing it are liable to be quite serious.

a regular steaming helps loosen up grime and goop thats got trapped and clear your chest. A spoonful of vapor rub mixed with a bowl of hot water, with your head under a towel for about 10mins, does the trick. I do this once a week through the winter, to help prevent infections.

This doesn't help me at all. Damp air of any temperature has a very negative impact on my breathing. The best thing for me is to get out and exercise until I'm breathing hard, which triggers a loose cough to clear the gunk.

most unfortuantly involve milk in one form or another (yoghurt) and even when I could have dairy products, staying completely away from all dairy whilst ill (cold/cough/flu/any infection) was 100% essential for myself and many other asthmatics would benefit from it was well... so its probiotic capsules only...

I forgot about your problems with dairy. Yes, that's a pain. I love my daily probiotic drink.

It's interesting about asthmatics and dairy. According to some well-read people on a diet and fitness forum I'm a member of, inability to tolerate dairy generally occurs in people who have some degree of Asian descent because Europeans have been consuming dairy products (specifically cows' milk) long enough to have evolved to tolerate them. It would be interesting to trace the genealogy of a group of genuine asthmatics (as opposed to the, "Oh, dear, your overweight and inactive child can't breathe properly, here's an inhaler," kind of asthmatics) and see whether that theory holds up for us. I know I have a mild intolerance to cows' milk - specifically one of the proteins, I think - so I use alternatives where I can, but I'm not giving up cheddar or yoghurt (although I do have goats' or sheep's milk yoghurt when I can get it).

Asthmatics also benefit from staying away from aspirin and taking paracetamol instead....

Again, my understanding is that this varies between individuals. According to a huge asthma text book that I've got (and I'd like to quote, but can't actually find, which is irritating), intolerance to aspirin only occurs in asthmatics who also have nasal polyps. I've certainly never had problems with aspirin myself, and it's actually helpful (with paracetamol and caffeine) if I get a head cold because taking it dries up the cold before it has a chance to move onto my chest. If that doesn't dry up the cold, I move onto Day Nurse, supplemented with aspirin, if that's what it takes, because a bad cold will always move onto my chest if I don't get the symptoms under control quickly.

I'm not sure about others on here, but my asthma was very badly controlled when I was a child, to the point that I was absent from school more often than I was present. According to some research my last asthma nurse quoted to me, uncontrolled asthma in childhood causes permanent damage to the lungs, which leads to reduced peak flow levels and greater susceptibility to infection in adulthood, even if the asthma symptoms themselves appear to have gone away. This may be the reason why doctors are so quick to prescribe inhalers to children at the first sign of breathing difficulties now.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Just wanted to add, this is a really interesting discussion, and I'm glad it's got so in-depth. I don't often come across people who can have a thoughtful and educated discussion on asthma and infections, rather than just telling you what drugs the doctor has told them to take.

Top Bottom