I have my mind changed about helmets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know there are lots of threads on "to wear or not to wear", that being the question, so this post is intended to start a squabble! (although it may anyway!
rolleyes.gif
)

I was watching one of those real-life A&E drama-emergency-car-crash-TV programs the other night and a cyclist was brought in all smashed up because some idiot cager had driven into him.

The windscreen was bullseyed and the guy's head was in a sorry state. The chap wasn't wearing a helmet and the surgeon said that if he had been wearing a helmet then his head injuries would have been far less extensive - the bullseye was his head hitting the windscreen. I know it's the car driver's fault, but it was the cyclist who ended up paying the price.

Normally, I don't wear a helmet but today I've dug it out from the bottom of my equipment box to wear on my commute this afternoon!

I saw the same program and it was scary and it made me think.
before watching that program I would rush out the house to get to work forget to put the Helmet on.
Now I do a check list, keys, phone, helmet I make doubly sure I don't forget and I hang the helmet on the bike

I know there are lots of threads on "to wear or not to wear", that being the question, so this post is intended to start a squabble! (although it may anyway!
rolleyes.gif
)

I was watching one of those real-life A&E drama-emergency-car-crash-TV programs the other night and a cyclist was brought in all smashed up because some idiot cager had driven into him.

The windscreen was bullseyed and the guy's head was in a sorry state. The chap wasn't wearing a helmet and the surgeon said that if he had been wearing a helmet then his head injuries would have been far less extensive - the bullseye was his head hitting the windscreen. I know it's the car driver's fault, but it was the cyclist who ended up paying the price.

Normally, I don't wear a helmet but today I've dug it out from the bottom of my equipment box to wear on my commute this afternoon!

Going back to the OP.....

Do we know what type of vehicle was involved?

Lets assume a cyclist is hit under identical circumstances by two vehicles

If it was a Jeep Cherokee with a EuroNCAP rating of no stars for pedestrian safety, then the injuries have been exacerbated by the choice of the driver to do so.

It it was a 2011 Ford Focus with a five star rating then the injuries would have been less.

Should we not be looking at the decision of some road users to exacerbate injuries rather than helmets.

After all the gain of wearing a helmet can be completely nullified by the decision of the motorist to drive an unequivocally more dangerous vehicle.

If it was a Jeep Cherokee with a EuroNCAP rating of no stars for pedestrian safety, then the injuries have been exacerbated by the choice of the driver to do so.

It it was a 2011 Ford Focus with a five star rating then the injuries would have been less.

Except that NCAP is based on pedestrians, not cyclists. The dynamics of a cyclist being hit are quite different and are not tested at all.

Except that NCAP is based on pedestrians, not cyclists. The dynamics of a cyclist being hit are quite different and are not tested at all.

The same "theory" applies. One vehicle is less safe than the other due to design features.... and the decision of the driver to drive a vehicle that will inflict greater injury still exists.

There is also the ethos of the companies those that design safer vehicles tend to account fr the safety of pedestrians AND cyclists, so a safer vehicle will be safer for both groups.

Finally if the EuroNCAP figures are accurate, then there is a 30% reduction in the number of fatalities between a no star and 5 star pedestrian safety vehicle. Ban unsafe vehicles and reduce the number of deaths by 30%?

The same "theory" applies. One vehicle is less safe than the other due to design features.... and the decision of the driver to drive a vehicle that will inflict greater injury still exists.

There is also the ethos of the companies those that design safer vehicles tend to account fr the safety of pedestrians AND cyclists, so a safer vehicle will be safer for both groups.

Finally if the EuroNCAP figures are accurate, then there is a 30% reduction in the number of fatalities between a no star and 5 star pedestrian safety vehicle. Ban unsafe vehicles and reduce the number of deaths by 30%?

No, the tests and the design measures to meet them are completely inappropriate for testing for cycling collisions. The two main measures for the pedestrian test are low down deformable bumpers to save the pedestrians' legs and deformable bonnets to protect against head impacts there. Deformable bumpers don't help a cyclist as they are hitting primarily the bike and Dutch research has shown that windscreens, roofs and roof gutters are the places cyclists tend to hit. The NCAP tests don't test those at all. Whether a designer happens to consider them will be complete serendipity and unrelated to its rating in the NCAP test.

Most of the NCAP test is concerned with the safety of the car occupants.

Sorry if this is unclear.... forget about cyclists for a second

The point I am trying to make is this:

There is an expectation amongst some groups for the victim of a crash to reduce the injuries, and that failing to do so is negligent

Yet it is acceptable for a motorist to choose to increase the injuries by selecting a vehicle they know will cause more injuries.

If my taking steps to reduce the injury is then neutralised by the motorist - what is the point?

On a ride out, the only one in our group that had a helmet on missed a turning admiring the view and rode straight into the river. We're on the look out for a combined helmet/flotation device if any one knows of one? You can't be too careful.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom