I have my mind changed about helmets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Opinion or fact? And if it is fact then please post the statistics to prove it.

Strong evidence and if you are not aware of the evidence by now then perhaps you should do a little research into it first. Pedestrians have a much higher serious injury and death rate per journey km than cyclists and pedestrians have a much greater likelihood of suffering a head injury in those accidents (48%) than cyclists (38%). On a lifetime basis you are about 15-20 time more likely to suffer a serious head injury from a motor accident, trip, fall or assault than you are from cycling.

Sources: RRCGB 2009 Article 6 Table 6f and Main Report Table 52; Pedal Cyclist Casualties in Road Accidents 2007, DfT Road Accidents Fact Sheet No 4, 2008; Pedestrian Casualties in Road Accidents 2007, DfT Road Accidents Fact Sheet No 3, 2008.

Strong evidence and if you are not aware of the evidence by now then perhaps you should do a little research into it first. Pedestrians have a much higher serious injury and death rate per journey km than cyclists and pedestrians have a much greater likelihood of suffering a head injury in those accidents (48%) than cyclists (38%). On a lifetime basis you are about 15-20 time more likely to suffer a serious head injury from a motor accident, trip, fall or assault than you are from cycling.

Sources: RRCGB 2009 Article 6 Table 6f and Main Report Table 52; Pedal Cyclist Casualties in Road Accidents 2007, DfT Road Accidents Fact Sheet No 4, 2008; Pedestrian Casualties in Road Accidents 2007, DfT Road Accidents Fact Sheet No 3, 2008.

... the next response is usually that this is a cycling forum so such evidence is about pedestrians and disallowed!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The College of emergency medicine recommends them .They see lots of broken heads. They (cycle helmets)dont cost much and weigh very little. Do what you like .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The College of emergency medicine recommends them .They see lots of broken heads. They (cycle helmets)dont cost much and weigh very little. Do what you like .

Does The College of emergency medicine also recommend helmets to those non cyclists that have fallen over and broken their heads? Just asking like?

Are you suggesting that we should observe this sage advice and wear helmets on the word of the College of Emergency Medicine?

After all their president John Heyworth is on record as saying that helmets should be welcomed as they reduce head injuries and that
"It is a pleasure to support "helmets" in my capacity as President of the British Association for Accident and Emergency Medicine."

Are we being silly to ignore his advice?

Mark_Robson

Do you not know them by now? What have you been doing all this time in helmet threads that they could have passed you by?

Ok so provide them.

Mark_Robson

All the time of course as the risks and likelihood are far greater off the bike than on.
Sorry but your the one who portrays himself as the expert here, not me.

I'm interested in how you came to the conclusion that I'm more at risk of a head injury going about my everyday life than I am riding a bicycle, so all I'm asking is for you to prove it with accurate statistical evidence.

[QUOTE 1414965"]
Does the group pedestrians include drunks, fighting and frail people? Just asking.
[/quote]

Probably just as the group cyclists includes POBs and drunks.

sabian92

Über Member
End of the day, evidence or not, coroner's report or not, court case or not, you as an individual chooses to wear one regardless of what other people think. If you don't wear one - that's cool. If you do - then that's cool too. Each and every one of us (me included) has our own opinions on the matter and it will be an argument to the end of time as to which is better. I personally wear one, although I don't have a go at others if they don't. Their head, not mine and by that, their decision. I don't understand why people get so arsed up about it. You aren't spending the money for those who want one to wear one, so why be bothered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom