I have my mind changed about helmets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Does continual exposure to "Helmet Debates" give you brain damage? You sufferers probably wouldn't notice, but I do detect a need for some more expensive research.

Tommi

Does continual exposure to "Helmet Debates" give you brain damage? You sufferers probably wouldn't notice, but I do detect a need for some more expensive research.
Good question. How much would you trust the results of such research considering the researches would have significant exposure to "Helmet Debates" themeselves?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Good question. How much would you trust the results of such research considering the researches would have significant exposure to "Helmet Debates" themeselves?
Excellent point Tommi. I rather wish you had not raised that sensitive matter before my application to The Helmet Research Council comes up for consideration. Shush....

You and me both hb. The people that spout off about helmets, a) doing more harm good, b) where's the proof, c) etc, etc, etc (yawn), have clearly never experienced a helmet shattering, (life threatening), accident that left their helmet in bits but their head in one piece.

I have and I therefore wear a helmet. I know it works as it's been proved too me and my family beyond any doubt, and my family greatly appreciate the fact I wear one.

I can only relay my own experience and let people make up their own minds.

You can argue the benefits or pitfalls of absolutely anything if you really want to, and sadly I feel helmets will always have steadfast believers and blatant non-believers.

Make up your own minds, and above all ride safe :thumbsup:
The people that spout off about tin foil hats

a) not doing any good
b) where's the proof
c) etc, etc, etc (yawn)

Have clearly never experienced an alien abduction, (life threatening), incident that left their tin foil hat in bits but their head in one piece.

I have and I therefore wear a tin foil hat. I know it works as it's been proved too me and my family beyond any doubt, and my family greatly appreciate the fact I wear one.

You can argue the benefits or pitfalls of absolutely anything if you really want to, and sadly I feel tin foil hats will always have steadfast believers and blatant non-believers.

Make up your own minds, and above all avoid alien abduction :thumbsup:

tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

davefb

Guru
The people that spout off about tin foil hats

a) not doing any good
b) where's the proof
c) etc, etc, etc (yawn)

Have clearly never experienced an alien abduction, (life threatening), incident that left their tin foil hat in bits but their head in one piece.

I have and I therefore wear a tin foil hat. I know it works as it's been proved too me and my family beyond any doubt, and my family greatly appreciate the fact I wear one.

You can argue the benefits or pitfalls of absolutely anything if you really want to, and sadly I feel tin foil hats will always have steadfast believers and blatant non-believers.

Make up your own minds, and above all avoid alien abduction :thumbsup:

tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

*hilarious*

so basically on the one hand we have people on a forum, on the other brain surgeons and a&e doctors...

oh and , the real tinfoil hat issue,,, it AMPLIFIES the signals maaan!!!! they can track you easier using them!
http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/
so dont print the lies , its what the government wants you to think!!

You and me both hb. The people that spout off about helmets, a) doing more harm good, b) where's the proof, c) etc, etc, etc (yawn), have clearly never experienced a helmet shattering, (life threatening), accident that left their helmet in bits but their head in one piece.

I have and I therefore wear a helmet. I know it works as it's been proved too me and my family beyond any doubt, and my family greatly appreciate the fact I wear one.

You can argue the benefits or pitfalls of absolutely anything if you really want to, and sadly I feel helmets will always have steadfast believers and blatant non-believers.

Make up your own minds, and above all ride safe :thumbsup:

I will only say that's a blatant misrepresentation of the anti-compulsion side. I have fractured my skull, I do wear a helmet but I will challenge anyone who thinks that it's absolutely clear cut you should wear a helmet. It's far from so, nor do I see what expertise health professionals have which qualifies them to comment of the efficacy of cycle helmets, head injuries yes, helmets no.

Proof beyond doubt you say, a large pinch of salt I say. If we'd ever reached that point then these debates would be over.

Peds are often mentioned but it's a large pink herring because everyone forgets about centre of gravity which is far higher on a bike and makes risk comparison moot, as does potential speed.

I think most of the weary posts in these threads stem from those who've seen all this before and still await anything definitive on the subject.

If you asked me for my view, I'd say wear a helmet because on balance I feel it might do you some good and probably won't do you any harm but it could. I'd take a twisted neck over a fractured skull any day though, having done both, though only mildly twisted my neck muscles and not cycling. And if it was going to put someone off cycling, I'd say leave it, as the greater good of cycling outweighs the small risk of a serious head injury.

I think I've fulfilled my helmet quota for this year now, I'd rather talk about pelmets. Surely no-one has pelmets anymore? If they do does it make them more or less likely to ride a bike?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I will only say that's a blatant misrepresentation of the anti-compulsion side. I have fractured my skull, I do wear a helmet but I will challenge anyone who thinks that it's absolutely clear cut you should wear a helmet. It's far from so, nor do I see what expertise health professionals have which qualifies them to comment of the efficacy of cycle helmets, head injuries yes, helmets no.

Proof beyond doubt you say, a large pinch of salt I say. If we'd ever reached that point then these debates would be over.

Peds are often mentioned but it's a large pink herring because everyone forgets about centre of gravity which is far higher on a bike and makes risk comparison moot, as does potential speed.

I think most of the weary posts in these threads stem from those who've seen all this before and still await anything definitive on the subject.

If you asked me for my view, I'd say wear a helmet because on balance I feel it might do you some good and probably won't do you any harm but it could. I'd take a twisted neck over a fractured skull any day though, having done both, though only mildly twisted my neck muscles and not cycling. And if it was going to put someone off cycling, I'd say leave it, as the greater good of cycling outweighs the small risk of a serious head injury.

I think I've fulfilled my helmet quota for this year now, I'd rather talk about pelmets. Surely no-one has pelmets anymore? If they do does it make them more or less likely to ride a bike?

Fabulous post.

The problem with the helmet threads is that they do go on so.
Unfortunately, there probably are links in them to relevant research etc that I miss in all the clutter.
Maybe a sticky post is needed, with links to any research studies carried out over the Years, that people can read through and make their own minds up?

Personally, and this is the last time I'll contribute seriously, to a helmet thread, I used to wear one religiously but now will leave it on occasion (if it's an extremely hot day for example) for exactly the same reasons as above.

If/when valid research proves whether it's better or not to wear one then I'll go with that but I strongly suspect it will all hinge on what type of accident it is.

Right, back to the cheese :tongue:

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend

Have also done both, although it wasn't a mild twist and it was while cycling and it was caused by a helmet and I'd really, really, REALLY like not to have to go through that again.

The skull, on the other hand, was not caused by cycling.

Hence I've come to the opposite conclusion. However, I respect your right to think differently.

The only thing that winds me up now are people on either side of the debate accusing the opposition of talking tosh. So if that's the best you can do kindly keep quiet until you can do better. I don't know what the big deal is about the conclusion: "you make your choice and deal with the consequences like a responsible person, in the great scheme of things you're more likely to suffer a serious head injury doing something other than riding your bike".

I'm still pondering the great Norris vs Diesel conundrum.

Sam

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I'm still pondering the great Norris vs Diesel conundrum.

Sam

There isn't one. Diesel is a mere slip of a boy in comparison.
It was, after all, Norris who invented Giraffes by uppercutting a horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom