I have my mind changed about helmets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
I saw on telly ages ago a thing they used to convince people seat belts were a good idea when the law changed to make it compulsory

It was a seat on a very short ramp that slide into a buffer giving a short sharp stop at 5mph, no-one, no mater how anti seat belt was prepared to try it out without the seat belt

They should make a machine like that for cyclists that threw you head first into something at 5mph

J4CKO

If you can go faster than 30mph on foot then you would be 7mph faster than Usain Bolt!

It would mean I have stepped into the path of something large and fast, and technically wouldnt be on foot, probably flying.

schlafsack

I saw on telly ages ago a thing they used to convince people seat belts were a good idea when the law changed to make it compulsory

It was a seat on a very short ramp that slide into a buffer giving a short sharp stop at 5mph, no-one, no mater how anti seat belt was prepared to try it out without the seat belt

They should make a machine like that for cyclists that threw you head first into something at 5mph

By understanding the risk and not getting onto such a device you would have done much more to prevent injury than any helmet could. The converse also applies, anyone getting onto such a device thinking that a helmet would prevent any injury at all deserves everything they get.

stevetailor125

I have an easy system, I wear a helmet because I want to, I've had grit and bits of car removed from my skull so I wear one out of choice, I've never looked at the evidence either way and if in some peopes eyes it makes me less of a cyclist then tough, it gets worse I don't wear lycra either, another personal choice.
At the end of the day that is what all this debate boils down to, your own personal choice, nobody should say we are wrong because of the type of bike we use or clothes we wear, it doesn't make you less of a cyclist, your choices just make you different from the next person, it would be a boring place if we were all the same or felt that we needed to force our choices on everyone else, end of lecture :biggrin:

sunnyjim

Say 70 kg driver car hits brick wall & takes 0.5 seconds to stop, Driver thrown forward on very slippy seat, max total force on arms against steering wheel and feet against floor/ pedals 308N say 68 lbf - I think I could do that, so usually don't wear a seatbelt when maneuvering my car at low speed not on the public highway.

No injury likely. Wouldn't want to try hold the 10000N or so the seat belt is designed for by not wearing a seatbelt at speed when might need to brake suddenly 'though.

Accidentally hitting a wall with a car at walking pace is a quite likely incident. So is rapid braking at 70mph - I've done both myself.

70kg cyclist projected straight at wall so head takes entire impact energy 172J. Helmet design limit <100J - foam compresses, & helmet thin cosmetic shell possibly cracks as foam no longer holds it in shape. Likely injury to neck.

No helmet, 6mm thick solid bone skull takes impact and survives intact. Very sore head. Blood everywhere, as cuts on head usually do. Likely injury to neck.

Being projected from a bike horizontally head first at walking pace is a quite unlikely incident - in fact I've never done it. Come off & landed on a shoulder a few times.

Having considered the facts, I can make my decisions about helmets & seatbelts.

Zoiders

I think the doc was talking piffle to be honest.

Newtons law, if he had smashed his head that hard with the helmet on he would have just broken something else, probably his neck.

It takes a hell of a lot of force to dent a car winscreen like that, far more than a helmet would save you from.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Newtons law, if he had smashed his head that hard with the helmet on he would have just broken something else, probably his neck.

Unless he was Vin Diesel.

When Chuck Norris wants to tell on someone, he goes to Vin Diesel.

Sam

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Oh no, oh no, what have I started! I only left the house five hours ago, and already there's four pages of replies and handbags at twenty paces!
blush.gif
whistling.gif
ah.gif
icon_smile_disapprove.gif
unsure.gif
ph34r.gif
blink.gif

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Unless he was Vin Diesel.

When Chuck Norris wants to tell on someone, he goes to Vin Diesel.

When Chuck Norris needs his boots cleaning he goes to Vin Diesel.

hennbell

Guru
Most pedestrians don't walk in the same lane as the traffic and pedestrians do not walk at 25 mph,

I make my children wear a helmet when they ride or ski, I would be a hypocrite not to wear one myself.

I can't think of a single reason not to wear a helmet.

I have 3 different helmets depending on the bike. I have a red bell for road riding, a red giro for mountain biking, and an Evel Knievel helmet for my cruiser.

I look good, I feel good, it is all good.

al78

Guru

Increases size and mass of head which makes it more likely to hit something in an accident.
Some evidence that they can increase the risk of rotational injuries in an accident which are amongst the most damaging of head injuries.
Inconvenient to carry around when shopping, unless you fancy your chances of it not getting nicked when you leave it with your bike.
Risk compensation effect.
Reduces airflow around the head thus making head more sweaty.
Reinforces the perception that cycling is a dangerous activity thus discouraging take up of cycling.

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member

You and me both hb. The people that spout off about helmets, a) doing more harm good, b) where's the proof, c) etc, etc, etc (yawn), have clearly never experienced a helmet shattering, (life threatening), accident that left their helmet in bits but their head in one piece.

I have and I therefore wear a helmet. I know it works as it's been proved too me and my family beyond any doubt, and my family greatly appreciate the fact I wear one.

I can only relay my own experience and let people make up their own minds.

You can argue the benefits or pitfalls of absolutely anything if you really want to, and sadly I feel helmets will always have steadfast believers and blatant non-believers.

Make up your own minds, and above all ride safe :thumbsup:

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
1. Increases size and mass of head which makes it more likely to hit something in an accident.
2. Some evidence that they can increase the risk of rotational injuries in an accident which are amongst the most damaging of head injuries.
3. Inconvenient to carry around when shopping, unless you fancy your chances of it not getting nicked when you leave it with your bike.
4. Risk compensation effect.
5. Reduces airflow around the head thus making head more sweaty.
6. Reinforces the perception that cycling is a dangerous activity thus discouraging take up of cycling.

1. Hardly, and if you do hit something then at least your head has some protection from that object
2.'Some evidence' - Not exactly convincing, I'm sure there will also be 'some evidence' that they can reduce the risk of your brain falling out when you do have an accident.
3. Take a bigger shoppping bag with you - sorted.
4. What? Management pyscho babbel.
5. Buy a decent helmet.
6. Cobblers!

I always said I wouldn't get involved in a helmet debate :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom