I have started fighting back !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...ace-williamson-county-caught-video/462473001/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqysSwOcIQ

Here's a perfect example- A private school dean in Nashville, Tennessee, struck a man on a bike on the Natchez Trace, which is for both cars and bicycles. He claimed the guy threw his bike at his car, but as we see in the grisly footage, such is not the case. how many times in the past have we heard this story, and ones' like it? The video camera can be a big influence with a jury, especially. When people see exactly what happened, tales told about the incident are soon found out.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Idiotic, selfish driving. Well done for reporting and glad you escaped safely.

First part of the number plate is pretty easy to spot, others who are better with the lamps than I can prob make out the full reg.

Do other forces have an equivalent to this OpSpartan malarkey? I've tried to find where to log/upload dangerous driving to Humberside Police but can't find anything. Not that I have my camera yet, so appreciate it's a bit cart before horse for me to be looking.

Cheers.

Thanks EasyPeez, you are looking at a low res copy here, I (and the Police) have a high res copy of my posted video where even a partially sighted person can see the Reg No and make/model of car.
Equivalents to OpSpartan ? I have no idea, but I would hope so. The Police are always ‘requesting’ the publics assistance on various matters so lets hope they all embrace this traffic safety reporting.

Good on you. The more people do this, the more word will eventually ‘get out’ and people may start to change their driving behaviour around cyclists.
Yes. Have never been keen on bike cameras, too much tech, but this might just persuade me to get one in time.
With a view to plonkers changing their driving around everyone, not just cyclists.

I have today heard back from North Yorkshire police 'OpSpartan'

" Thank you for your email and footage.

We would like to potentially instigate prosecution proceedings against the driver in the footage " etc etc

and detailed questionaire from me to complete.

Looks promising.
Please let us know how this progresses.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Idiotic, selfish driving. Well done for reporting and glad you escaped safely.

First part of the number plate is pretty easy to spot, others who are better with the lamps than I can prob make out the full reg.

Do other forces have an equivalent to this OpSpartan malarkey? I've tried to find where to log/upload dangerous driving to Humberside Police but can't find anything. Not that I have my camera yet, so appreciate it's a bit cart before horse for me to be looking.

Cheers.
Devon & Cornwall have just started Operation Snap. https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/opsnap

I'd had a named contact in the force to send filmed incidents to, but making it a proper system is definitely a good move. I'd resisted the filming option for some time, but I had a change of heart, and yes, I do think drivers need to start thinking that their misdeeds might well be filmed and their poor or aggressive driving called out, if we are going to change the culture towards cyclists. If you have observed how much more sensible drivers on the motorway are in average speed camera zones, you'll know how much more likely they are to behave sensibly when they know they'll get caught when transgressing.

keithmac

Guru
That's shockingly bad driving, hopefully you can get them prosecuted for it.

I'm mulling over a camera for my commute, didn't think North Yorshire Police took cyclist safety very seriously but looks promising for you!.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
I ride with a Yi 4k action cam on a chest harness, very unobstrusive. I think a lot of drivers will think twice when they cannot fail to notice a camera stuck on top of a helmet ?
That is no doubt a good thing. I do not use a chest harness to ‘trap’ errant drivers, I just feel a ‘noob’ with a camera stuck on top of my head.

I ride with a Yi 4k action cam on a chest harness, very unobstrusive. I think a lot of drivers will think twice when they cannot fail to notice a camera stuck on top of a helmet ?
That is no doubt a good thing. I do not use a chest harness to ‘trap’ errant drivers, I just feel a ‘noob’ with a camera stuck on top of my head.
yes that's what puts me off.
and I would never attach anything to a helmet anyway for safety reasons. And am somwhat short of bar space.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
yes that's what puts me off.
and I would never attach anything to a helmet anyway for safety reasons. And am somwhat short of bar space.

The chest harness works great, I wear it under a full zip cycling jersey. Zip the jersey up (yes there is a lump) or halfway down with the camera lens protruding.
The camera & mount snap/click into the harness. Going into a cafe etc ? Just unclip the cam & mount from the harness and no obstrusive ‘lumps’ Also the vibration from a body mounted cam is far less than a bike/handlebar mounted device.

Glad to learn that you take it off when you walk into cafes - otherwise folk might think you are on a drugs bust - or something worse.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Please let us know how this progresses.

Well, having heard nothing I took it upon myself to ask and I quickly received the following reply from North Yorkshire Police (Operation Spartan):-

Quote:
The driver was sent a conditional offer of a fixed penalty notice with the opportunity to take a driver awareness course at their own cost. This is the standard approach that is taken to offences even when they are observed by Police Officers and a national standard across all police forces.

Thank you for the footage and allowing us to take action against this driver.
Unquote

So what would this have cost the driver, "conditional offer of a fixed penalty notice with the opportunity to take a driver awareness course at their own cost." ?

Roy

Drago

Legendary Member
Hold on, the Plod are updating you - quote rightly - but other Forces are declining tondo so, citing GDPR as the reason. Just proves what a crock some forces are talking.

BYW, the only nationally accredited course is for speed awareness, not driver education or driver awareness as it is sometimes euphemistically called. How is that a suitable substitute for a penalty for a mandatory road marking contravention offence?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Hold on, the Plod are updating you - quote rightly - but other Forces are declining tondo so, citing GDPR as the reason. Just proves what a crock some forces are talking.

BYW, the only nationally accredited course is for speed awareness, not driver education or driver awareness as it is sometimes euphemistically called. How is that a suitable substitute for a penalty for a mandatory road marking contravention offence?

Thanks Drago, for filling in some blanks.

How on earth do some forces cite GDPR for withholding info ? the only thing I knew about the 'Op' was his/her car Reg No (plus they are idiot drivers of course)
After sharing the above info with me I still only know the car Reg No.

I am content with the outcome, I appreciate it is probably not going to turn this driver into a courteous, considerate driver but if they think there is a chance they will get filmed they will hopefully conform to safer driving procedures ?

Top Bottom