I just had 'that' chat with my wife...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you backed that up with research?

AlanW

Guru
To be honest, you'l be amazed at how big a screen you can get anyway with. We were looking at "going large" earlier in the year, the calculations suggested that a 50" would suffice. However, the last time I bought a TV it looked massive in the shop, however when I got home it was tiny when in the living room. :ohmy:

So with that in mind, I went for a 55". I can still remember the day that it was delivered, we all sat on the settee literally open mouthed as the two men carried it in and set it up. In fact, my daughter said at the time, "dad you have gone to far this time".

If I am being honest, for the first few weeks, it was indeed that "elephant in the room", but now we all thoroughly enjoy and it was the right thing to do. So if your gonna buy a new TV.....my advice is to go BIG

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I bought a 42" years ago, cost a small fortune*. The sales guy advised me that viewing 10ft away, that was as large as you should have. But we've now got a 47" in the kitchen and that looks fine so going for the same in the lounge

* think 10x the current price

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
And you screwed the legs into the bottom of it

I always remember John Noakes on Blue Peter making a "remote control". It went something like "now here's a brilliant idea for those elderly or bedridden relatives". It was a 6ft garden cane with a metal nut on the end which was supposed to go round the push button switches and then you pushed hard.:laugh:

Reactions: GM

Ganymede

Veteran
Main thing is not to put the thing to far up the wall. A friend of mine has her tv half-way up the wall and you have to lift your eyes to watch it. You soon get very, very tired.

Lullabelle

Banana
When I go past houses with the telly on the wall I do wonder why? Some look so high that either they are very tall people of they have to sit with their heads tilted upwards to see it, bad for the eyes and posture.

MarkF

Guru
Our alcove is only 47" wide so we have a newly arrived 42" Panasonic Plasma, I didn't want it and was perfectly happy with the 32" Philips LCD (bought for £1200 10 years ago but now worth tuppence). I only bought it because my son was constantly complaining about playing X-Box on his tiddler 14" TV. Yesterday, he discovered that his new Christmas XBox one won't play on the 32"'er because it doesn't have an HMDI slot and now we need an HD TV for him. :cursing:

I was happy with my old Sony CRT Trinitron, it had a fake wood & chrome control veneer like a1970's Cadillac and you could watch (split screen) 2 different games of football simultaneously. :thumbsup:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I still have that 14inch black and white Hitachi portable telly bought in 1980. It was the first telly we had when we got married, Mrs Accy says it should be thrown out but i like to plug it in every now and then even though there's no reception!:scratch:

Top Bottom