i like driving in my car...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kedab

Veteran
as much as i very much enjoy my bikes :rolleyes:

some of the things i notice about other cyclists while driving: so many of them hug the kerb/as close as they can get to the nearside, that it makes me worry for them / very few shoulder checks, if any / some are hi-vis'd up to the eyeballs, some are ninjas / NONE of them have offered a token wave/finger wiggle/thumbs up, after i've given them the widest berth i possibly can...this irks me because i always try to make the effort. even a little nod of the head would be nice :angry:

some of the things i notice about other drivers while driving: far too many think a 60mph pass with 2 feet to spare between their wing mirror and a cyclist's elbow is a 'good pass' / some think even less is acceptable / hardly any will sit behind a cyclist through a pedestrian/traffic calmed area - MGIF...these are just things i noticed this morning.

i'm out for my 35 miler tomorrow (day off work) and i may even stick the camera on the helmet for some after ride merriment :boxing:

NONE of them have offered a token wave/finger wiggle/thumbs up, after i've given them the widest berth i possibly can...this irks me because i always try to make the effort. even a little nod of the head would be nice :angry:

I must admit it never occured to me that drivers would be a bit irked by that. I'll try and remember to show my appreciation to drivers in future when they give me a good pass :smile:

hoski

Veteran
NONE of them have offered a token wave/finger wiggle/thumbs up, after i've given them the widest berth i possibly can...this irks me because i always try to make the effort. even a little nod of the head would be nice :angry:

I sometimes think this when I'm driving but I then remember that I don't actually deserve praise for driving safely.

And when I'm cycling it's mostly on my fairly busy commute so there's no way I can thank everyone who doesn't drive like a tw@t. Also, after being overtaken and left-hooked by a non-indicating car, going over the bonnet, hitting the back of my head and having an exciting ambulance/A&E adventure, I now hate all motorists regardless.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to like driving my car. The roads are so chokka, I hate it. Did about 60 miles of town traffic last weekend (dad/husband taxi duty - including a 11pm pick up) and it was 'orrible.

Don't get me wrong, I like my car, but driving in the UK is rarely pleasurable.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I've always wondered why I should thank drivers for doing what the Highway Code says they should be doing anyway. I don't thank people who stop at red lights so I can walk across a pedestrian crossing...

Having said that, I do put a hand up to wave my thanks at the really good overtakers if I can. I think it helps the people following see what they need to be doing!

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
overtaken and left-hooked by a non-indicating car, going over the bonnet, hitting the back of my head and having an exciting ambulance/A&E adventure, I now hate all motorists regardless.

ooh, and i hope you're fully recovered of course - i trust the po-po are going to/have taken action against the tool that risked your life?

yes, i'm aware i used the term, 'po-po', i'm down with the kids...i'm even amused when they refer to their cars as, 'me skate' ^_^

Peteaud

Veteran
I used to like driving my car. The roads are so chokka, I hate it. Did about 60 miles of town traffic last weekend (dad/husband taxi duty - including a 11pm pick up) and it was 'orrible.

Ive now switched jobs to do less driving, and closer to home means its cheaper on fuel, and have cycled it although a 12 hour shift is a bit much for on the way home.

I used to like driving, now its just a nightmare.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same here - was commuting 60 miles a day in the car - switched jobs as it was unpleasant sat in all that traffic.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran

location - the fen
time - about 02:30
when - after work on a late shift
activity - razzing down a sweepy, bendy country road between two villages
hazards - occasional wildlife & the odd dyke (that's a ditch to some of you not a lady that likes another lady)
result - warm tires & warm heart

:rolleyes:

I suppose you appreciate good driving more when you come across a lot of stupid drivers.
Out on a 32 miler yesterday coming back on a single lane road with quite a few central reserves.
Approach one reserve and WVM and a cavalier behind it - WVM stays back giving loadsa room.
Pass the reserve, WVM overtakes me n I wave thanks only for cavalier driver to overtake me, and WVM AND the next reserve as some bloke on the other side is approaching it to cross... Freaking nutter driver.

About 2 miles further on, LH lane primary approach to RBT straight on to a single lane busy town road, Qashquai man hoofs it past me in the o/s lane fir turning right, then pulls in front only having to brake hard as stationary traffic in the road.

I then thought about me thanking drivers for proper driving and realised that I had thanked a couple of drivers for not pulling out on me at a "T" junction!

Crazy day

I love it when cyclists appreciate considerate driving. It is a matter of courtesy. I appreciate courtesy.

I raise a hand to thank drivers who've hung back from a possible overtake or who slow for me at a pinch point when the way is theirs.

A smile back from a motorist who sees that their thoughtfulness is appreciated can make leg-ache disappear for up to five miles.

We get around seventy years (give or take) to glide or struggle through this life. A little courtesy and a few smiles along the way might make it a more enjoyable (or tolerable) seventy years for those who think they shouldn't have to thank people for doing what the HC says they should.

Good OP. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom