I`m done.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
So some cyclists think THEY are hard? :laugh:
This was a rugby match played yesterday (Saturday) during storm Dennis. Musselburgh v. Selkirk.

1581880923925.png

So some cyclists think THEY are hard? :laugh:
This was a rugby match played yesterday (Saturday) during storm Dennis. Musselburgh v. Selkirk.

View attachment 504848

Yet there's probably some among those players who would think it completely loony to go cycling in such weather!

Proves you’ve lost touch with the outdoors and become softened by 21st century “comforts”
No it’s not, what is all this tough get going you promote.
See above. "Lost touch with the outdoors"?
No. Just no. It's simply not inherently better to cycle in all weathers, if you don't have to or want to. If you like it, great. If others don't, great. There's no point to be made out of it. The first quote was straight out of the "man up" cookbook, and cannot be easily seen as anything else. And I'm sure as hell not promoting it...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
See above. "Lost touch with the outdoors"?
No. Just no. It's simply not inherently better to cycle in all weathers, if you don't have to or want to. If you like it, great. If others don't, great. There's no point to be made out of it. The first quote was straight out of the "man up" cookbook, and cannot be easily seen as anything else. And I'm sure as hell not promoting it...

Nope nothing to do with man up to would you insist woman. Ones gender has nowt to do with this. It’s just your mental disposition to natural weather and being outdoors. Speak with those who work outdoors and you’ll understand.

Modern humans are coddled to the point that they would gladly plug in to the matrix and be living batteries for their machine overlords rather than get a bit cold and damp or sweaty. With the advent of the motor and electricity, any kind of adversity is seemingly now something that should be avoided. Heaven forbid another war break out in Europe, as we'd lose before it's even started based on some of the whinging in this thread. :laugh:

s.com%2F2015%2F08%2Fmorpheus-red-pill-vs-blue-pill.jpg

Which one will you take?

Last edited:
How well do you think the youth of a century ago coped?

80,000 were formally diagnosed with shell shock and 306 executed for cowardice.
I imagine it would be a lot worse nowadays. Things have changed a lot for the worse since the 40s as far as detachment from nature is concerned. Of course, the shell shock and PTSD was less about inclement weather than it was about being constantly at risk of being blown to smithereens.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
This has been one of the most interesting threads I have encountered on this forum. Although it is windy and sometimes bitterly cold here we only get about 13 inches of precip per year and we do get 220 sunny days annually. I have always wondered how you folks deal with the rain and gloomy grey days which apparently are many. Riding over 30 miles a day, day in and day out, in rain and wind is very impressive to me. As for me, if it is too cold or windy or the ice and snow are too much for the bikes I have, I do something else which could be walking, resistance training or some project or another. I can't go without some kind of exercise for long, though, because I'm hooked on the endorphins and become meaner and more grumpy without my daily fix. Hat's off to you folks, though. I have a lot of respect for you.​

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I imagine it would be a lot worse nowadays. Things have changed a lot for the worse since the 40s as far as detachment from nature is concerned. Of course, the shell shock and PTSD was less about inclement weather than it was about being constantly at risk of being blown to smithereens.

It does seem odd. We have Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc etc just like they did in history. Did they cope with that better in the 40's for example? No, i'd say we cope with that better today and i think most people would agree thanks to all the amazing advances we have made and continue to make in Science, but when we talk Mental Health, it was they coped better years ago etc, despite awareness, treatment and knowledge being far far worse... That seems bizarre, well it does to me at least...

Perhaps then im alone in being happy i live now rather than in 40's or whenever that isn't now, because i don't think there is anything wrong seeking help for a wide range of ailments including mental health and seeking help for your cycling needs on this forum... That being said, those that have fought in the World Wars we're exceptionally brave people and we should always remember...

It does seem odd. We have Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc etc just like they did in history. Did they cope with that better in the 40's for example? No, i'd say we cope with that better today and i think most people would agree thanks to all the amazing advances we have made and continue to make in Science, but when we talk Mental Health, it was they coped better years ago etc, despite awareness, treatment and knowledge being far far worse... That seems bizarre, well it does to me at least...

Perhaps then im alone in being happy i live now rather than in 40's or whenever that isn't now, because i don't think there is anything wrong seeking help for a wide range of ailments including mental health and seeking help for your cycling needs on this forum... That being said, those that have fought in the World Wars we're exceptionally brave people and we should always remember...

I specifically highlighted the connection to nature, and excused them of their mental suffering as that was violence related. Warfare perhaps wasn't the best analogy as you cannot equate warfare with inclement weather. I guess I was coming at it from the angle of being posted outdoors for great lengths of time. Perhaps it would have been more sensible to compare modern day urbanised living with old manual farming practices?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I specifically highlighted the connection to nature, and excused them of their mental suffering as that was violence related. Warfare perhaps wasn't the best analogy as you cannot equate warfare with inclement weather. I guess I was coming at it from the angle of being posted outdoors for great lengths of time. Perhaps it would have been more sensible to compare modern day urbanised living with old manual farming practices?

Sure, But i think you're overplaying it a little. I don't think there is a disconnection with nature. I walk regularly around a few local water parks and cycle down the canal i see plenty out and about. With so much of these young un's these days getting vocal about climate change, plastic waste and animal welfare i can't help thinking they have more connection with nature than before. A decline in mental health and a disconnect with nature seems a tenuous link at best. As i say, we're seeing more awareness and treatments for such issues that it is that awareness and a prevalence for more mental health help these days i see as a more reasonable link to what is seen as an increase...

Top Bottom