I`m done.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Theres somewhat of a difference between flooding and rain when riding a bike.
Ah, but we've been assured it's all "average"...

Sharky

Guru
I`ve been on here moaning about the relentless rain back in December. Now 2 months on it`s still f*cking raining, that`s pretty much non stop since September last year. As of 1 Jan, I tried to take on the "I`m not giving into it" attitude, but after nearly 7 weeks of get up - get soaked - do day at work - get soaked - wash and dry kit - go to bed - get soaked - do day at work yada yada yada. I`m burnt out with it, my bike is a mess, I`ve wasted about half a ton of washing powder, and my morale is in the sewer.

Well today I gave in, I`m done, totally pissed off with it all. After 20 years of it I`ve had enough, I`m hanging up my cycling shoes and giving up. Please don`t give me the cobblers about there being no such thing as bad weather, only bad kit, rule no 5 etc. I`ve been through thick and thin with it, but yet the weather over the last 6 months has finished me. I`m out of here:sad::sad:

Watch the ads guys, there will be plenty going up for sale
With this continuous bad weather, I don't blame you. Get rid of the bike stuff and get a TV for the bedroom and stay all day in bed.
- What could go wrong with that ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ok, calm down every one. As has been said, it isn't a tough guy contest and really we should only be riding if we are (mostly) enjoying it.
iateyoubutler has commuted a big distance for many years and I find that impressive. I don't believe for one minute that you will be able to just jack it all in and sell up, it's in your blood. Take a break, wait for spring and better weather, then see how you feel. If you sell everything now I can almost guarantee you will be looking to buy another bike before the fall.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Time for a fully enclosed velomobile? Or a rain jacket? :laugh:

View attachment 504524

I've been where you are, only it was terrible drivers that did my head in and stopped riding for a good 6 months, sadly it was the summer months I missed out on, not this crap winter. I still don't cycle as much as I used to, but getting back into it now I've moved and have quieter and safer roads to navigate, buying a new ebike helped my motivation too.

Jeez! That's a surefire way id end up head first into the canal with no hope of escaping my demise!

Jimidh

Veteran
Don’t give up just take a break for a period and the love and joy will all come back when the weather improves.

Blowing 50 mph + winds outside today so I’m not thinking that anyone out on their bikes in this is as hard as nails I’m thinking they are off their heads.

cycling should be fun - if the crap weather makes it unenjoyable for you then give it a rest And do something else for a while. Doesn’t make you less of a cyclist than the ‘I’m as hard as nails brigade’ who claim ( and sometimes actually do) go out in all weathers.

I’m desperate for Spring to come round as although I still get out most of the winter it’s just so much nicer when it’s not freezing wet and windy.

I hardly ever commute during the winter as it’s a miserable experience in my situation cycling home 15 miles mostly up hill usually into the wind in the cold and dark. Especially when I can sit in my lovely warm car and be eating my dinner 25 minutes after leaving work - light weight that I am.

MarkF

Guru
Don’t give up just take a break for a period and the love and joy will all come back when the weather improves.

Blowing 50 mph + winds outside today so I’m not thinking that anyone out on their bikes in this is as hard as nails I’m thinking they are off their heads.

cycling should be fun - if the crap weather makes it unenjoyable for you then give it a rest And do something else for a while. Doesn’t make you less of a cyclist than the ‘I’m as hard as nails brigade’ who claim ( and sometimes actually do) go out in all weathers.

I’m desperate for Spring to come round as although I still get out most of the winter it’s just so much nicer when it’s not freezing wet and windy.

I hardly ever commute during the winter as it’s a miserable experience in my situation cycling home 15 miles mostly up hill usually into the wind in the cold and dark. Especially when I can sit in my lovely warm car and be eating my dinner 25 minutes after leaving work - light weight that I am.

Same here, why would I do something I wouldn't enjoy? I do respect and admire thoso who commute through all weathers, but it's not for me, I don't like cold or wet. Cycling is a hobby from which I get enormous pleasure, I get all giddy as spring comes around as I hardly ever ride betwen November & April, then there is no stopping me.:okay:

Same here, why would I do something I wouldn't enjoy? I do respect and admire thoso who commute through all weathers, but it's not for me, I don't like cold or wet. Cycling is a hobby from which I get enormous pleasure, I get all giddy as spring comes around as I hardly ever ride betwen November & April, then there is no stopping me.:okay:
Exactly this. I did all my unavoidable bad-weather cycling from ages 11 to 18 to get to school and back, and promptly abandoned anything to do with cycling for the next 30 years. Why? I'd had enough of having to cycle, as opposed to choosing it.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
30 miles a day, in all weather, for 18 years, is nothing short of heroic in my book. Flipping Herculean to be honest. You deserve a break. Don't sell the gear though. Keep it for when the weather improves and you can go out spontaneously and enjoy a ride in the sunshine. Even enjoyable things become a chore when they have to be done out of necessity rather than choice.

Top Bottom