I`m done.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I
Averages being averages, if rainfalll was average half the country will have been drier than average and half wetter than average

The way people are talking it sounds like this winter is an outlier, ridiculously wet. It isn't, the actual rainfall numbers don't support this. We forget that every winter has poor weather in the UK and this year is no worse than most
If you say so.......

Brandane

Legendary Member
It does seem that the weather is getting worse but I had a 6-week holiday in Scotland (around the mid 1960s; I can't remember the exact year) in which it poured with rain every day! OTOH. I also had a couple of glorious 6-week holidays with the sun shining all day, every day.
That is exactly how it is, and part of the problem. When the sun comes out and there's some warmth in the air, there is nowhere better than some parts of Scotland, and I love it - wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The downside is, it is just so unpredictable that you dare not try to organise any outdoor activities because the chances are stacked against you with regards to the weather. As the years go by, that nice, warm, sunny weather seems to get rarer and rarer. It frustrates the hell out of me :sad:.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Even on a properly-equipped bike, cycling in shite weather is not an enjoyable experience

...for you.

Unless it’s icy, grip is rarely affected to any serious extent.

I‘d rather be out cycling in shoot weather, than working in a warm office anytime. Too much is made of “shoot weather” when really it’s just raining which is easily dealt with. It can and usually is very enjoyable cycling out in the hills or lanes in the rain but does depend on your mindset.

johnnyb47

Guru
You could look at this way.
Its piddling down outside and my amazing bike is parked up next to the warm kitchen radiator out of the way from the elements. Its not depreciating in any substantial money. Its not costing me in VED or insurance. Meanwhile my old British Leyland iron chariot parked outside is slowly dissolving away in the rain and is costing me, even though it hasn't turned a wheel today through VED and insurance.
The weather is awful at the moment but tomorrow's another day, and when you're parked up enjoying your ice cold beer after that long ride in the sunshine, today will feel like a million years ago.
Just keep the faith and before you know it summer will be back again 🌞👍👍🌞^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Whatevahhhh.... But I, and hundreds of thousands like me, would rather find something more pleasant to do on a rainy day, and save the cycling for more pleasant weather. It's not compulsory and proves nothing. Each to their own and all that.

Proves you’ve lost touch with the outdoors and become softened by 21st century “comforts”

johnnyb47

Guru
We all get a bit down and disillusioned about cycling from time to time..
This time of year when the weather is rubbish is hard going sometimes.
Some of us are more hardy than others and will take the rough with the smooth better than others. It's just the way we are, and that we're all different.
Some people relish the challenge of cycling in strong head winds and driving rain. I think they call it "character building"
There's others that use there bikes for commuting and its the only way round for them to get to work practically.
Then you've got the Weekend warriors, or in may case a wannabe Weekend Warrior 🤔 who enjoys a blast around the countryside trying to burn off the lard.
Either way, we're all cyclists and do it for many different reasons.
Personally i don't mind cycling in the dark or windy conditions, but i draw the line when it's raining.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I‘d rather be out cycling in shoot weather, than working in a warm office anytime. Too much is made of “shoot weather” when really it’s just raining which is easily dealt with. It can and usually is very enjoyable cycling out in the hills or lanes in the rain but does depend on your mindset.
On you go then! A village 3 miles away. Looks like perfect cycling weather for you:laugh:

Top Bottom