I`m done.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Where i am the weather for the last few weeks has been extreme, https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2655984
Up until a few weeks ago i cycled through every winter may have missed a few days in a row but never do i remember weather like this? Know for me theres nothing nice about cycling in high winds ice on the roads plus a few times along the coast high waves have came right over me a bit like some one turning a fire hose on at me.
The last few times i have cycled i have been cold to the point of shivering when cycling and thinking i would not be able to mend a flat if i had one plus my hands where that cold i could not even change gear or even remove my helmet when i stopped. Have been told to expect these conditions in winter from now on due to global warming? Cycling to me is for a hobby, commuting, fun, and sport but until weather improves as they say in dragons den for this reason i am out.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Done a fantastic commute home tonight. Storm Dennis saw to it being of biblical monsoon proportions and I was dripping wet at the end but still loved all 10 miles of it.

Not true, whether you hate getting damp on the bike is a personal thing, not inevitable. Plenty of clothing choices out there to keep you comfortable in the conditions we’ve had this winter.

Sorry, but when the road just 2 miles away looks like this, it doesn’t matter what clothes, bike or mudguards you have!

View: https://www.facebook.com/stvnews/videos/623345001798271/UzpfSTU0MDQzODc5MDoxMDE1NzUyNzE0ODEwODc5MQ/

Looks like my commute tonight :okay:
...for you.

Unless it’s icy, grip is rarely affected to any serious extent.

I‘d rather be out cycling in shoot weather, than working in a warm office anytime. Too much is made of “shoot weather” when really it’s just raining which is easily dealt with. It can and usually is very enjoyable cycling out in the hills or lanes in the rain but does depend on your mindset.
Just as I left the bike shed tonight the heavens opened. When I was kitting up in the shed the wind had been rattling the perspex roof quite violently so I knew I was in for a fun one but had no idea how good it was going to be. It was brill. The rain was really quite warm in a lovely summer shower kind of way and I enjoyed riding in it....
On you go then! A village 3 miles away. Looks like perfect cycling weather for you:laugh: View attachment 504691
Thats a lovely stitched leather dashboard. Silly car for playing around in such conditions in!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Again extremes are quoted but we are talking about normal rain and typical winds as a reason for giving up. Not constant extreme weather.
There's nothing normal about winds gusting around 50 mph and rain, every day for 2 weeks with no end in sight. THAT is the real situation in coastal Ayrshire. Not sure where you are located, but might be different there.

classic33

Leg End Member
My late mum and her side of the family were from Mull and the Oban area. I love the country and the people but I could never live there. The weather is bad enough here in Yorkshire - I couldn't take it worse than this!*

It does seem that the weather is getting worse but I had a 6-week holiday in Scotland (around the mid 1960s; I can't remember the exact year) in which it poured with rain every day! OTOH. I also had a couple of glorious 6-week holidays with the sun shining all day, every day.

If I ever have enough money (which seems unlikely!), I would start spending late autumn to early spring abroad, somewhere with a warm climate and lovely roads for cycling. (And go back there again in between if/when the summer here were a washout!)
You on the right side of the pre 1974 border to be saying that?

OP
OP
I
As OP it`s time for my 2p. There are plenty of you here arguing about cycling in crap weather, quoting figures, going on about the tough get going etc etc but at the end of the day I am sick of the drenchings.

For information, I ride a singlespeed bike, with mudguards, 29.4 miles 5 days a week, and am wrapped up like a Christmas turkey. It is still bloody miserable. At the end of the day I am fed up with it, and I am allowed to be. I have commuted, all weathers 7000 miles/year for the last 18/19 years.

I appreciate those who try to encourage and see my side of it

It`s got old now though and I`ve had enough of the same old same old. I used to live for cycling. Right now I hate it, I don`t want to, but I do, and the non stop rain has caused that

Drago

Legendary Member
Let's just hope the Hun don't kick off again, because no Englishman will turn up to give Jerry good kicking this time because it's raining and they're fed up. Sheesh.

OP
OP
I
Can you drive on the wet days and cycle the dry if you wish to?
I expect commuting to a job you hate (as you’ve stated before) in bad weather doesn’t help :sad:
That`s all very true:rolleyes:

classic33

Leg End Member
As OP it`s time for my 2p. There are plenty of you here arguing about cycling in crap weather, quoting figures, going on about the tough get going etc etc but at the end of the day I am sick of the drenchings.

For information, I ride a singlespeed bike, with mudguards, 29.4 miles 5 days a week, and am wrapped up like a Christmas turkey. It is still bloody miserable. At the end of the day I am fed up with it, and I am allowed to be. I have commuted, all weathers 7000 miles/year for the last 18/19 years.

I appreciate those who try to encourage and see my side of it

It`s got old now though and I`ve had enough of the same old same old. I used to live for cycling. Right now I hate it, I don`t want to, but I do, and the non stop rain has caused that
Don't let a bit of bad weather, given the length of time you've been cycling, force you into selling up. Keep it for when the weather improves.

It's always more expensive to get back into something than what you got for what you sold.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
And? Should I sycophantically agree with everything you say, or am I mot allowed to air my own opinion in the way you do yours?
Judging by the lapses in your normally impeccable spelling, and your unwarranted aggression, I'd guess that you've got outside a bevvy or several. Maybe it's time for beddy-byes. Good night John Boy.

Edit: I note you've edited your post to correct one error. Well done.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You on the right side of the pre 1974 border to be saying that?
Almost on the border. Oldham postcode, Yorkshire council, and website forms seem 50-50 on where I am - some insisting that it is Lancashire and some West Yorkshire. I'm sticking with calling it Yorkshire where I have the choice, not that I have anything against Lancashire.

That's a pretty impressive cycle commuting record. I don't blame you for wanting to cut back now, but I would keep at least one bike for the seven or eight days a year of perfect cycling conditions! :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
And? Should I sycophantically agree with everything you say, or am I mot allowed to air my own opinion in the way you do yours?
Comparing cycling to troops having to fight in the Great Wars isn't exactly a sensible contribution though, is it? Or did we all get drafted into cycling so now we have to keep doing it no matter what? Times have moved on since 1945, and those who DID fight in the wars did so to ensure we are allowed to make these choices.

Top Bottom