I`m done.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

I`ve been on here moaning about the relentless rain back in December. Now 2 months on it`s still f*cking raining, that`s pretty much non stop since September last year. As of 1 Jan, I tried to take on the "I`m not giving into it" attitude, but after nearly 7 weeks of get up - get soaked - do day at work - get soaked - wash and dry kit - go to bed - get soaked - do day at work yada yada yada. I`m burnt out with it, my bike is a mess, I`ve wasted about half a ton of washing powder, and my morale is in the sewer.

Well today I gave in, I`m done, totally pissed off with it all. After 20 years of it I`ve had enough, I`m hanging up my cycling shoes and giving up. Please don`t give me the cobblers about there being no such thing as bad weather, only bad kit, rule no 5 etc. I`ve been through thick and thin with it, but yet the weather over the last 6 months has finished me. I`m out of here:sad::sad:

Watch the ads guys, there will be plenty going up for sale

I totally approve your decision.

Having to endure awful weather day in and day out can really make you hate cycling and spoil it forever. I hope you stopped before reaching the point of non return.

Don't sell all your kit, keep a bike and just cycle FOR LEISURE, over the weekend if the weather allows. Cycle alone or with mates...whatever makes it enjoyable.

PS: also don't listen to all the people who may say you're not tough enough. They're not tougher than you...just dumber

OP
OP
I
It's been a mild winter so far. We've had much worse winters than this

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/summaries/index

January was average rainfall and was 2 degrees warmer than average. The OP getting fed up with cycling isn't to do with unusually bad weather
So you know my mind better than I do then?

rivers

How far can I go?

vickster

Legendary Member
@iateyoubutler have you managed to get anywhere further with your plans to make some wider changes in your life overall? Having a plan or something to look forward too may help to lift the mood :smile:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Mild, yes. But windy and rainy as can be. I will take the cold, dry, and lack of wind over what we have been having.
Nope....January actual rainfall in the UK was 100% of the average for January. It was.....average. December was a bit wetter than average (117%), November was slightly drier than average (97%)

We live on a rather wet and windy island. Every winter is rather wet and windy.

Reactions: C R

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For me the horrible weather this season seems to come at the most inappropriate times namely - 7.30am and 5pm commuting times mid week and 7am Sunday rides. When I am sat in the office it seems to be nice out there. I can believe that overall the rain has been average, but for sure this season it seems to be out to get me more than ever before. On a plus note, much fewer icy days, so not all bad.

iandg

Legendary Member
We've just left the EU - the forecast for the UK is bright and sunny :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
There's a certain satisfaction in doing what others say you can't do(Not possible). They may even think you're nuts for doing it. That's lost when you start going the same way as everybody else.

If physical effort is required, you're nuttier still. But there'll be those bits that being stuck on a train, round here waiting on a train, hoping it'll show, that can't be got any other way. The feeling of freedom on two wheels, or four, doing what others regard as mad. I was told I was "f***ing nuts" when I said I could cycle in on the Bank Holidays, when services were limited.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
There's no shame in how you feel. Cycling should be enjoyable, or at least tolerable through the bad bits. If it's not then best not to do it. Keep your bike for leisure cycling when the weather is nice

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Completely understand your feelings, it can be a grind sometimes. I hope you find something else you can enjoy that keeps you active.

However, why sell all your stuff now? The weather's still rubbish and you'll likely not get a good price for it. I'd keep everything until the better weather starts and then you can either advertise it all at a time when it'll be more attractive to buyers, or you might just be tempted by the better weather yourself and hang on to it.

Either way, do what will make you happy.

iandg

Legendary Member
We've just left the EU - the forecast for the UK is bright and sunny :whistle:

Seriously though. Comes a time when we've all had enough of something.

I had enough in 1981 and stopped being a 'serious' racer, stopped chasing national ambition and returned to club runs and local time trials. In 1984 I went for a steady ride around local lanes to relax and clear my head after a day's revision for my degree and had an argument with a car driver who forced me into a ditch and then threatened me ( I was lucky to get away without a black eye/broken nose, he was a big guy). I decided that I wasn't getting the same enjoyment out of cycling anymore and stopped completely and started running.

I came back in the early 90s when my dad bought me a Saracen Tuff Trax mtb (out of some inheritance money from his brother). I started riding off-road at weekends on Cannock Chase and slowly the passion returned.

Take care and all the best. :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom