I`m done.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think he's saying that we all have to do things we don't much enjoy ...and sometimes they get in the way of doing the fun stuff :smile:

I agree with that, what has it got to do with packing up doing something you do not enjoy when you do not have to do it? As in cycling in rubbish weather.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am not getting your point on this.
I'm saying that you are right!

I think he's saying that we all have to do things we don't much enjoy ...and sometimes they get in the way of doing the fun stuff :smile:
It's true, but I think he suggested that.

What I was really saying was that for one reason or another I have spent a lot of my life with the worst of both - doing boring things which were also unimportant!

Foul weather cycling that you don't enjoy may not be important either, as long as it is replaced by something else that keeps you fit.

vickster

Legendary Member

What I was really saying was that for one reason or another I have spent a lot of my life with the worst of both - doing boring things which were also unimportant!

Foul weather cycling that you don't enjoy may not be important either, as long as it is replaced by something else that keeps you fit.
Or that simply gives you enjoyment, reduces stress, anxiety

davidphilips

Veteran
Dave7 ? Yes a bike can just be used in bad weather like you did but brakes work better if kept clean plus gears work better and theres both less friction in the drive chain plus less wear and corrosion. So its actually costs less to cycle on a clean bike, Goes better and over all requires less maintenance plus dont know about any one else but i like a clean bike.

screenman

Legendary Member

That makes sad reading, can I suggest aqua zumba to brighten your life.

ColinJ

That makes sad reading, can I suggest aqua zumba to brighten your life.
I can't see me doing that, but I just checked and there is a session at Todmorden pool every Friday. That is only a 10-15 minute walk from here. £4.20 with a local 'passport to leisure' card, which I don't currently have, but is available free to all over-60s.

I have just taken up the guitar again. That should keep me entertained for as long as I want it to.

I'm now busy writing computer games (which I enjoy doing, but they will need to earn me some money this year otherwise I will need to do something else for 18 months until I get my state pension).

Wobbling

Regular
Yep it just seems like we have had a very very long autumn that’s gone on for five months.Ive just taken a month off ticking over on a gym bike and getting the bus a bit more .I have this illusion it’s going to get out nice in mid March based on absolutely nothing

ColinJ

Yep it just seems like we have had a very very long autumn that’s gone on for five months.Ive just taken a month off ticking over on a gym bike and getting the bus a bit more .I have this illusion it’s going to get out nice in mid March based on absolutely nothing
I organised a 'forum walk' from Hebden Bridge, due to take place on 23rd March 2013. I decided to call it off... :whistle:

:laugh:

CXRAndy

Guru
Put the bike on a turbo, train with Zwift for a few months to keep fit. Then when weather is much better go back outside.

I dont need to cycle to work,. I work from home. I train/ride for nearly 6 months a year in-doors. I ride outside when the weather is nice and warm

screenman

Legendary Member
Nope....January actual rainfall in the UK was 100% of the average for January. It was.....average. December was a bit wetter than average (117%), November was slightly drier than average (97%)

We live on a rather wet and windy island. Every winter is rather wet and windy.

I bet Henry Ward the farmer does not feel it was average.

Nope....January actual rainfall in the UK was 100% of the average for January. It was.....average. December was a bit wetter than average (117%), November was slightly drier than average (97%)

We live on a rather wet and windy island. Every winter is rather wet and windy.
But the distribution of that average obviously isn't average, else places would not suffer flooding to the degree they have.
It has been bad leisure cycling weather here for months, let alone commuting.
And as for "the wrong clothes " or "the tough get going"...garbage. If you enjoy cycling so much that you'll go out in anything, well great, more power to you. But don't have the temerity to slag off others who don't.
Rant over.

Bobario

Veteran
Couldn't you just get a cheapo turbo trainer to keep your fitness up through the winter months? Spring is just around the corner and temps are starting to get into double figures at last.

Being inured to commuting in the rain is pretty much mandatory in Glasgow, so I never used to mind rainy weather that much - although the constant leaden skies and inevitable soakings do exert a toll on morale.

I've had some pretty great rides in terrible weather, too.

What puts me off is that I've simply had too many negative interactions with drivers. I no longer trust them to be capable of driving to conditions, nor do I trust them to understand the role that ABS and traction control plays in their ability to drive, or that bikes are far worse at braking and cornering in the wet than their oversized go-karts are, and with far worse consequences if traction suddenly disappears because of a manhole cover.

Last edited:
Top Bottom