I managed a half century today .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
The weather's great ,the birds are tweeting and the daffodils are flowering. What could be better than a nice ride out on the bike. It's been a long long time I've ever done a 50 mile ride ,but a moment of madness got the better of me this morning. My usual run outs usually run for around 16 to 25 miles, but today I was feeling a little more frisky and though I would tackle something a little more challenging. The first 15 miles I paced myself to a sensible speed ,as didn't want to burn my self out further on. I heard something drop on the floor behind me, and was gutted to see my Aldi,s cob light lying there. The bracket it was connected to snapped.. Thankfully it still worked so I put in my jersey back pocket and continued on my merry way. The roads were quiet and the scenery was breathtaking. Even the passing motorists where courteous. When I arrived in Shrewsbury I stopped off at Dave Mellors bike shop for a browse around. I haven't been there for years but wow I was really impressed with there shop. The staff were really friendly and helpful and after telling about my light dilemma he dug out an old light bracket from a huge box of second hand spares he lying around and just told me to take it. After a smoked salmon and cheese sandwich washed down with a can of Iron Brew I set off home from the picturesque riverside cafe. I took a small detour on the home run because I wanted to crack the magic 50k ..Around 35 miles in I was starting to feel it by now and the hills were now starting to sap my strength from my puny legs. A lone road biker came past me and I tried to pace him but after a few miles I let him slip away as I was really feeling a little knackered by now. At around 40 miles I stopped for another drink and a piece of cake. 5 minutes later I was back in the saddle again and feeling stronger. With the sight of the end in view the last few miles were a joy to ride and when the computer clicked on to the magic 50 ,it was such a good feeling. Overall I did 50.46 miles in 3hrs 25min averaging 14.6 mph..What a great sport/ hobby cycling is. It costs virtually nothing to enjoy and you get to see so much much around you. Swimming/ the Gym / golf etc cost you money every time you want to participate but with cycling it costs virtually nothing after the initial outlay of the equipment. Buying a bike doesn't have to be an expensive purchase either. Mine cost me around £70 second hand and was the best money I've ever spent.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Nice one.

Ice2911

Über Member
Very well done, I too did my first ever 50 miler this week, ended up being 61 miles. One puncture and the mini pump packing up added to the excitement. Hadn't realised how close swe this as to 100km or I would have done the extra mile and a bit. Learnt lots of lessons on the ride, mainly how rubbish the sign posts are in rural Norfolk with no 3G for maps on my phone. Absolutely loved the ride, especially watching a barn owl being mobbed by a kestrel. Cream tea at the coast felt well earnt. Keep on enjoying riding your bike :smile:

The weather's great ,the birds are tweeting and the daffodils are flowering. What could be better than a nice ride out on the bike. It's been a long long time I've ever done a 50 mile ride ,but a moment of madness got the better of me this morning. My usual run outs usually run for around 16 to 25 miles, but today I was feeling a little more frisky and though I would tackle something a little more challenging. The first 15 miles I paced myself to a sensible speed ,as didn't want to burn my self out further on. I heard something drop on the floor behind me, and was gutted to see my Aldi,s cob light lying there. The bracket it was connected to snapped.. Thankfully it still worked so I put in my jersey back pocket and continued on my merry way. The roads were quiet and the scenery was breathtaking. Even the passing motorists where courteous. When I arrived in Shrewsbury I stopped off at Dave Mellors bike shop for a browse around. I haven't been there for years but wow I was really impressed with there shop. The staff were really friendly and helpful and after telling about my light dilemma he dug out an old light bracket from a huge box of second hand spares he lying around and just told me to take it. After a smoked salmon and cheese sandwich washed down with a can of Iron Brew I set off home from the picturesque riverside cafe. I took a small detour on the home run because I wanted to crack the magic 50k ..Around 35 miles in I was starting to feel it by now and the hills were now starting to sap my strength from my puny legs. A lone road biker came past me and I tried to pace him but after a few miles I let him slip away as I was really feeling a little knackered by now. At around 40 miles I stopped for another drink and a piece of cake. 5 minutes later I was back in the saddle again and feeling stronger. With the sight of the end in view the last few miles were a joy to ride and when the computer clicked on to the magic 50 ,it was such a good feeling. Overall I did 50.46 miles in 3hrs 25min averaging 14.6 mph..What a great sport/ hobby cycling is. It costs virtually nothing to enjoy and you get to see so much much around you. Swimming/ the Gym / golf etc cost you money every time you want to participate but with cycling it costs virtually nothing after the initial outlay of the equipment. Buying a bike doesn't have to be an expensive purchase either. Mine cost me around £70 second hand and was the best money I've ever spent.
Props.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Many congratulations and well done.

Slick

Guru
Thank you all for the positive comments. I think rigormortis has set into my legs tonight. Feet up with a beer and good film tonight and planning my next ride out. I may again tomorrow venture out ( only a short ride ) to loosen off my stiff knees.
Ha ha, nothing nicer when you know the graft has been done.

Top Bottom