Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only had a couple of hours spare today
Photographs from previous rides, not today

So
Through Castleford, over 'Hartleys Bridge', up Barnsdale Road, through Allerton Bywater cross-roads
Up 'Mary Pannall'
Through the traffic lights at the junction with LongDyke Lane & Back Newton Lane
Up, & across Peckfield Bar' (where the A63 crosses the Castleford-Aberford road)

Up to HookMoor (where the A1) is just south of Aberford - and where, it used to cross the Wakefield-Towton road, to enter Aberford, & right-turn
Hook Moor. 3.JPG

Right at Lotherton, onto Copley Lane, & over to Sherburn-in-Elmet

Right at the end, to pass the Church, & having left my water bottle on the kitchen table, a quick cup of tea at http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/

Back out of the café, & up to the 'old' A1 (crossing the new one on the way)
Down it, towards Fairburn (in opposite direction to this pic)
Fairburn. 8.JPG

Into Fairburn village, touching very briefly (100yards) on the old 'GNR' route
Past the Fairburn Ings, & RSPB centre

Back to Allerton Bywater cross-roads, but this time, a left turn back towards Castleford

Through Castleford, over the level crossing on Albion Street, & on the way home

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Eventful trip today.

10 miles north along the coast road at lunchtime. Then on a mad impulse turned inland up the moor road.

I've never yet managed it to the top of the hill without stopping, but I came closer today than I have done before. Very pleasing. Continued on down the gentle side of the hill, then stopped to check train times on my phone- do I take the road that heads directly home, or go the other way and catch a train back? Lots of options.

Back on the bike, and round the next bend. Couldn't have been doing more than 10mph. A ditch was blocked and was overflowing across the road. 20 yards of sheet ice.

Down I went.

The bike took some damage, but nothing that can't be repaired. Broken rear light, broken mudguard stay, and it'll need new bar tape.

I fared less well. Currently an inpatient at the local orthopaedic unit. X ray inconclusive, CT scan in the morning, suspected hip fracture.
Oh no!! Hope you heal well.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm in complete denial its winter so thought I'd go out searching for palm trees. 1st up Lambeth Bridge roundabout
IMG_20161122_130630_zps0acxstkr.jpg

Whitehall gardens has palms surrounding each of the 3 statues, here's Sir James Outram's
IMG_20161123_151952_zpsstjtjygc.jpg

It also has this lovely little shed, being used to store gardening tools I think, though someone forgot to put the broom away.
IMG_20161123_151508_zps3argivo9.jpg

Mountstreet Gardens Mayfair
IMG_20161122_132559_zpsa960ug4o.jpg

This one is next Fulham Football Ground
IMG_20161122_141644_zpsa9fo3q0z.jpg

I saw a few palms in Lincolns Inn Fields, but my photos came out blurred an unusable, so this nearby rubble on the corner of the LSE building will have to do instead
IMG_20161123_152758_zpsalr9ppdl.jpg

I love a green wall, I found another one on Rood Lane
IMG_20161122_150650_zpsc5forku1.jpg

Then over to Lewisham to see a back garden one
IMG_20161124_141927_zpsxp7lyvlw.jpg

I popped in to see the Dutch Elm in Ladywell Park, you don't see many of these anymore after Dutch Elm disease claimed over 25 million of the UK population, they used to be among the tallest trees in the capital.
IMG_20161124_142626_zpsyt50zqgb.jpg

And finally I stumbled upon this palm in George Lane
IMG_20161124_144918_zpssr1jurud.jpg

I then rushed back home and felt the strange urge to get changed into a loud shirt^_^
As an ex palm tree worker person, I loved the subject of the day/ride!
Palm trees look quite innocuous, but the spines that develop into the fronds can temporarily paralyse if you get jabbed by one. I suffered several times :blink:
The last pic you posted is a Cabbage Palm. I had a branch from one on my wall for a while. People thought it was a swordfish bill :smile:

me-dates.jpg

Me, many years ago, when I was in black&white....
:smile:

Attachments

• IMG_20161123_151508_zps3argivo9.jpg
    IMG_20161123_151508_zps3argivo9.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20161123_151952_zpsstjtjygc.jpg
    IMG_20161123_151952_zpsstjtjygc.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20161122_130630_zps0acxstkr.jpg
    IMG_20161122_130630_zps0acxstkr.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20161123_152758_zpsalr9ppdl.jpg
    IMG_20161123_152758_zpsalr9ppdl.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20161122_141644_zpsa9fo3q0z.jpg
    IMG_20161122_141644_zpsa9fo3q0z.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20161122_132559_zpsa960ug4o.jpg
    IMG_20161122_132559_zpsa960ug4o.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20161124_142626_zpsyt50zqgb.jpg
    IMG_20161124_142626_zpsyt50zqgb.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20161124_141927_zpsxp7lyvlw.jpg
    IMG_20161124_141927_zpsxp7lyvlw.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20161122_150650_zpsc5forku1.jpg
    IMG_20161122_150650_zpsc5forku1.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20161124_144918_zpssr1jurud.jpg
    IMG_20161124_144918_zpssr1jurud.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 46

Mrs M

Guru
As an ex palm tree worker person, I loved the subject of the day/ride!
Palm trees look quite innocuous, but the spines that develop into the fronds can temporarily paralyse if you get jabbed by one. I suffered several times :blink:
The last pic you posted is a Cabbage Palm. I had a branch from one on my wall for a while. People thought it was a swordfish bill :smile:

View attachment 152762

Me, many years ago, when I was in black&white....
I love palm trees (remind me of hols:smile:).
The ones in this post were very impressive.

Slick

Guru
Today was a strange one. I've been riding regularly for a while now, supplementing my commute rides with some really good climbing workouts at the weekends. A mixture of working away from home and a house move, has kept me off the bike for the past month so I was determined to get out this morning despite the cool temperature. I really struggled with my breathing, and my mouth filled with thick saliva that I had to get rid off. Not pleasant, but had to be done. My legs felt okay, but amazing how quickly you can loose your level of fitness. Hopefully you get it back as quick.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A couple of days ago now, but here's my ride today(ish)

I've not had the chance to get a ride in for a while now, due to 'stuff' going on, so it was good to take the MTB out for a few miles before w*rk t'other day and clear the brain and stretch my legs!
I only had time for an hour, but great to get out..

IMG_0050.JPG

Bit of a trail blockage to clear, but nothing I couldn't handle..

IMG_0016.JPG

And then a circuit of the lake in Overstone.

Back home on 10 miles in dismal weather, with the sun breaking out just as I was washing the bike down...

https://www.strava.com/activities/785888123

PS: at one point in the ride, the bike got tangled up with a bit of barbed wire laying in the undergrowth. Not a malicious thing, just bad luck, as I was a bit 'off-piste' in some local woodlands. I though I'd got away with it, but on checking the bike this morning, it looks like I've got a tube to repair!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Chapeau for riding today, fog and ice are not much fun.

Have you tried lobster gloves? They are excellent when temperatures are around zero.

I suffer with cold hands and feet badly. Everything else can be warm.

I can second lobster gloves as they keep two fingers together in each claw. I have seal skinz ones. Chunky but can go out in anything.

A10 commute this morning and reasonably quiet too considering I was a bit late in leaving and once again everyone gave me plenty of room so the multiple lights must be working:thumbsup:.

Wore the Aldi lobster gloves and I'm not too impressed to be honest,not much warmer than my usual Endura's or Castelli's with inners and they do not breath at all so by the time I was in Waterbeach was getting sweaty hands;pretty cumbersome too so they will probably be only used on short hops when I'm on the train;still can't expect much for the £4 I paid for them.

https://www.strava.com/activities/787769971

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A steady jaunt over to Windsor today on a shopping trip. It's cheaper than taking the van and costs nothing to park a bike:smile: A brief pause on the way through Windsor Great Park for a picky
28 Nov 2016 WGP.jpg

Came home the flatter route, and whilst I knew they were there, I've never stopped to see them. The Jurors.
28 Nov 2016 Jurors.jpg

28 Nov 2016 Jurors Plaque.jpg

17 sunny miles

A steady jaunt over to Windsor today on a shopping trip. It's cheaper than taking the van and costs nothing to park a bike:smile: A brief pause on the way through Windsor Great Park for a picky
View attachment 152808

Came home the flatter route, and whilst I knew they were there, I've never stopped to see them. The Jurors.
View attachment 152809
View attachment 152810

17 sunny miles
Never knew they wer called the Jurors
Seen them often

The first time I saw these I thought someone had left some chairs out!

Old jon

Guru
Another cold and crisp morning. The sight of the sun shining through the windows always fools me, so off I pedalled around the tag end of Holbeck and to the start of Great Wilson Street.

I wonder who he was, the great Wilson? A quick look online reveals nowt, so anyway. Turn left, Crown Point Road, and then Bridge, followed by the temperature raising climb to the Clock at Oakwood. In my youth, cycling clubs met there on Sunday mornings and I guess that is where I first heard the next climb called Boot Hill. After crossing the Ring Road, the entrance to the roundabout is UPHILL, turn right on Red Hall Lane. Reaching the T junction of Thorner Lane with Skeltons Lane, turn left. And feel the first spots of rain. Ah well, the ride was never going to be a long one. Turn left onto Milner Lane, with that short sharp hill on it, at the top of that the road veers to the right, and I followed it to East Rigton.

Collingham next. There is a junction of little roads at the top of Jewitt Lane, usually decorated with a couple of cars, dog walkers or hikers. Today was no exception, two very jolly lasses and a few damp looking dogs. Loud ‘good morning’s were exchanged. Once down the hill, I happily rode the boring way home along the A 58, whizz down the Hill of Boot and across that bit of Leeds that leads home. 26.4 cold miles, another couple of miles would have been too far. Fun was had.

Garminology, the art of making pictures of meandering on a bike.

28112016.jpg

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
A few days holiday, wife is at work, cleaned up.....err, sun's shining, just an easterly breeze, off we go.
No great rush, aiming for some miles today. Headed East to Whittlesey, Turves, on toward Guyhirn...dead flat and open out there but just found a pace that worked.
Lost the desire to get to Guyhirn (nothing much there anyway) and turned round and headed back...I'm still finding my feet so best not go too mad.
35 miles, averaged 14 mph...meh, not bad considering my meagre mileage.

Saw my first flock of fieldfare, three kestrels together, slightly unusual that and all the usual birdlife. Lovely day, not cold at all despite the thermometer probably not getting above 7 degrees.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Top Bottom