Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Wall to wall blue sky today so of course it was a bit chilly. An easterly wind was a tad annoying. I headed off for my standard run around the Ashleworth and Woolridge loop. Other riders were out and about too no doubt enjoying the sunshine even if it is quite low on the horizon at this time of year. Strangely a car followed me for a while after I turned at Highleadon. It eventually turned off at Hartpury College. Now that was a patient driver who had many opportunities to come past. A less patient driver overtook on the lip of the descent from Woolridge. Always a problem if the vehicle descends slower. This time not too much of an issue. More wildfowl is gathering on the Hams at Ashleworth. I expect the imminent cold weather will bring more in. At last the dreadful road surface below Clive's Farm is being dealt with. Patches but better than nothing. I began to struggle a bit over the last third of this ride. Wee bit tired I think. But it will pass. 44 smiles and a wee bit slower than usual

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Never knew they wer called the Jurors
Seen them often

The first time I saw these I thought someone had left some chairs out!

Part of the Magna Carta 800 years celebrations, I often ride past them on the road. Unusually for me today I was on the CX, so little off roading to have a closer look. They are, for brass chairs, surprisingly comfortable..

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
It's been some time since I've posted n this thread, but since I managed to continue with my ambition of getting out on a bike every day this year - even if it was just a minimum of 1 1/2 miles around the block today on Patsy #3 The Hybrid - I thought I'd post a couple of sunset pics from Saturday, taken about 5 minutes before I hit a pothole and threw myself into the road. (Bruised and cut, but no broken bones, apparently, and can still laugh.)
It's good to be back. :okay:

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
A steady jaunt over to Windsor today on a shopping trip. It's cheaper than taking the van and costs nothing to park a bike:smile: A brief pause on the way through Windsor Great Park for a picky
View attachment 152808

Came home the flatter route, and whilst I knew they were there, I've never stopped to see them. The Jurors.
View attachment 152809
View attachment 152810

17 sunny miles

Are there 12? Being a juror has thoroughly stuffed my chance of a ride this month but at least we have a table!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Eventful trip today.

10 miles north along the coast road at lunchtime. Then on a mad impulse turned inland up the moor road.

I've never yet managed it to the top of the hill without stopping, but I came closer today than I have done before. Very pleasing. Continued on down the gentle side of the hill, then stopped to check train times on my phone- do I take the road that heads directly home, or go the other way and catch a train back? Lots of options.

Back on the bike, and round the next bend. Couldn't have been doing more than 10mph. A ditch was blocked and was overflowing across the road. 20 yards of sheet ice.

Down I went.

The bike took some damage, but nothing that can't be repaired. Broken rear light, broken mudguard stay, and it'll need new bar tape.

I fared less well. Currently an inpatient at the local orthopaedic unit. X ray inconclusive, CT scan in the morning, suspected hip fracture.

Walking with the assistance of Physio, crutches and morphine.
Oh no! Hope you're on the mend. :hugs:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
This mornings commute home was at about 0 degrees, and whilst the airport roads had been gritted some of the local ones hadn't. That lovely sheen to the road surface made me that extra bit cautious, but arrived home ok at silly o'clock.
Up at lunchtime, and after dog walking etc it seemed a shame to waste the sunshine, and given the forecast is -3 degrees tonight I figured I'd do a ride this afternoon and take the car to work tonight rather than risk icy roads in the morning. A quick wizz out to Chobham and back and spotted lots of other cyclists who seemed to have had the same idea. Lovely in the sunshine but nippy in the shade, Garmin said 3 degrees. It would seem Winter has arrived.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It was properly frosty this morning so I swapped wheels for the brand new set with Marathon Winters on as a precaution. With plenty of layers on it was quite a pleasant ride to work. I went via Lyth Hill at the start which gave some nice views but took the shorter route after that which gave time to pause for a few snapshots.

I could have managed on ordinary tyres really as there were only a couple of places where there was frozen run-off from the fields but it's given this set of wheels their first outing.

On the way home it was clear and cold still. The frost from this morning hadn't melted where it was sheltered from the sun and there were suspicious patches on the road that looked damp but sparkled in my lights.

Another 21.6 miles added to the tally at 12.5 mph. The studded tyres don't feel too bad to ride but do knock a bit off the average speed.

DSC0004108.jpg

From Lyth Hill with the Wrekin poking its head through the mist in the distance.

DSC0004109.jpg

Looks wintery on the old bridge at Atcham.

DSC0004113.jpg

As usual the phone camera hasn't captured the richness of the colours post sunset but it's not a bad effort this time.

gavgav

Guru
It was properly frosty this morning so I swapped wheels for the brand new set with Marathon Winters on as a precaution. With plenty of layers on it was quite a pleasant ride to work. I went via Lyth Hill at the start which gave some nice views but took the shorter route after that which gave time to pause for a few snapshots.

I could have managed on ordinary tyres really as there were only a couple of places where there was frozen run-off from the fields but it's given this set of wheels their first outing.

On the way home it was clear and cold still. The frost from this morning hadn't melted where it was sheltered from the sun and there were suspicious patches on the road that looked damp but sparkled in my lights.

Another 21.6 miles added to the tally at 12.5 mph. The studded tyres don't feel too bad to ride but do knock a bit off the average speed.

View attachment 152942
From Lyth Hill with the Wrekin poking its head through the mist in the distance.

View attachment 152943
Looks wintery on the old bridge at Atcham.

View attachment 152944
As usual the phone camera hasn't captured the richness of the colours post sunset but it's not a bad effort this time.
You are braver than me!! It was minus 5 on my car temp at 8am and minus 2 when I left work at 4:30pm!

Gareth C

Veteran
Just taken delivery of a new fat bike! This coincided with a long weekend away on the Northumberland coast, based in Craster. This gave chance to try it out on local trails (Craster to Boulmer), Beadnell beach and Druridge Bay.

img_0180.jpg

After a muddy byway
img_0184.jpg

Bike packing straps supplied
img_0187.jpg
img_0192.jpg

img_0193.jpg

Big Fat Tyre
img_0198.jpg

Perfectly still weather
img_0210.jpg

img_0244.jpg

Black hole
img_0248.jpg

Night fishing
img_0256.jpg
img_0263.jpg
img_0265.jpg

It’s great fun, and each time I’ve ridden it, I’ve let more air out of the tyres resulting in more traction. I’m looking into some bikepacking trips in 2017, and in particular this local coastal trip

Attachments

• img_0180.jpg
    img_0180.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 48
  • img_0184.jpg
    img_0184.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 46
  • img_0187.jpg
    img_0187.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 60
  • img_0192.jpg
    img_0192.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 54
  • img_0193.jpg
    img_0193.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 60
  • img_0198.jpg
    img_0198.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 52
  • img_0210.jpg
    img_0210.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 44
  • img_0244.jpg
    img_0244.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 56
  • img_0248.jpg
    img_0248.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 48
  • img_0256.jpg
    img_0256.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 60
  • img_0263.jpg
    img_0263.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 57
  • img_0265.jpg
    img_0265.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 48

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A couple of utilitarian rides into town over the last two days. First was on my old pub SS bike, as I had to leave it locked up, and yesterday was a slightly longer ride on the CX as it wouldn't be out of my sight as I purchased a few things at the market.

Pica.JPG

It was a bit chilly on the way in as I cut across from the boat club to the Washlands cycle path. Good fun crunching through the ice though!

Picb.JPG

Once I'd finished in the market, I grabbed a cup of Marsala tea, to warm me up, from one of the stalls there, run by the friendliest Indian lady you could hope to meet.

Unfortunately had to head back home on 17 miles as w*rk beckoned... Booooo
I could have stayed out riding for hours in such beautiful weather!

https://www.strava.com/activities/788740519

:smile:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Another 1.5 miles around the houses. I may need to invest in block and tackle to help me on and off the bike, but I'm still getting a ride in every day. Though my assessment at A&E on Saturday didn't give any indications of anything broken, part of my ribcage still hurts when I take a deep breath. I suspect some internal bruising, but if it doesn't improve in the next couple of days, I'll go and get it checked out again. No photos - I was too busy looking out for potholes in the low winter sun. :whistle:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Definitely a good call not to commute to work last night, coming home this morning it was -3 degrees and I was happy in the car. Much as I love the commute by bike it's not worth carrying on regardless when I'm fortunate enough to have the choice of 4 wheels when it's looking like ice.
To make up for it I did a quick 8 miles or so when I got up this afternoon, a deliberately short ride but the 8 miles took me to 5001 miles for the year so far, quite pleased with that:smile:

Top Bottom