Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The ice has melted but it's still rather chilly as the humidity has risen. So kitted up for the conditions I headed out under grey but brightish skies. No wind at all meant I warmed up fairly well. There were times today when my legs seemed to fail me but I wasn't looking for speed just a ride around so I took the pressure off. Yesterday there were some Lapwings in a field near Hill Croome. These days that's an unusual sight. It wasn't all that long ago Lapwings gathered in huge flocks. Today seemed to be Greater Spotted Woodpecker day as I had several sightings all around the route. 34 smiles

First of all an apology for not taking photographs. Will try harder next time, honestly.
I finally got to ride one of my favourite routes today after what must be at least eight weeks of not being able to as they were resurfacing most of it and closed the road.
From my house I cycle over to Wannock and from there cycle up to East Dean through the lanes.As you would expect theres always plenty of traffic through there but if they keep their speed down its never too dangerous.
If I do hold up anyone climbing the hills I like to think I do my part in taking the heat out of anything that could turn nasty by giving a thank you wave when they do go pass and also keeping over to the left when I can.I am certainly glad I have a mirror on my bike which helps.
Through the valley its a bit undulating and as you rise up to Eastdean its fairly seep for me anyway.
Its there that I had my first test as the last time I rode it I had to stop several times to get my energy back because I have an health issue.But this time no such problem.I cycled it all the way although I did have to repeat my mantra which a young lady told me when I was cycling in the Alps.Stopped on a mountain climb she cycled past me and when I asked her how she was doing it she said just cycle as slow as you can.So now on difficult climbs I always remind myself of her very valuable advice.And it works although I still ache afterwards.
From there its an easy ride down to Birling Gap and time for a cuppa in the NT cafe.
Birling Gap is one of the places I never get bored of riding to as its to me at least very scenic.
After a cuppa I get back on my bike to climb up to Beachy Head and in the car park I get chatting to a fella on a 125cc scooter and its got me thinking about getting rid of all of my bikes and buying one as it would be so much easier than this cycling lark.But given I already have a BMW 1200GS in the garage I think it might of being so knackered not having ridden this route for so long is my reason for getting such strange thoughts.At least I hope it is.
Because this is the road that was being resurfaced it is now billiard smooth and as a consequence several Bikers flew past me and coming down the hill several fellas on street luges. No problems with either of them as they too were just out having fun.Although my fun was a bit tougher as I had to stop several times so I still need to get a bit of fitness back as I can normally cycle this non stop.
Once at the top of Beachy Head its more or less downhill back to Eastbourne front.
Called in to collect my faulty lap top from the shop and had the wonderful it needs a new mother board. Great end of that then.
From there it was a fairly easy ride back home but not having ridden this route approximately 15miles I felt knackered.Still its money in the bank for the next ride which should at least be a tad easier.Shouldn't it !.

iandg

Legendary Member
Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Last night shift last night, and given I'm not sure what the weather is up to I figured I should try and get the 12th and final metric 50 in for the challenge. I'm really quite pleased with myself that I managed to get this far without too many health issues, and whilst I know that to many doing 31 miles in one ride per month is nothing, to me it's been a target to achieve in my recovery. So headed out this afternoon, tired but keen. Started quite warm, and fingerless mitts were the order of the day. Not a vastly exciting ride, just one of my usual routes out Lightwater way with a small bit added to the start. I did take one picture of a deer, but it came out rubbish so not posting it...
37 miles all told, and it was getting chilly by the end of the ride. Chuffed to have completed the metric half challenge this year:wahhey::wahhey:
Now then, how about the metric century challenge next year...

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Got an hour or so spare...a quick night ride on the hybrid, country tracks mostly with lights to be seen with, not TO see with...as I quickly realised. Hardly easy but only 1/2 mile in, dropped onto the small ring and chain flipped over itself on the crank. Unable to clear so walk home, rectify in the light then off again.
Just a little less than 8 miles...never was going far and it's surprisingly mild out there.

https://www.strava.com/activities/791598409/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1480703505

Today's final imperial ton of the year took me up to Littlehampton, then back on the faster route.

IMG_3752.JPG

Fish, chips and mushy peas for lunch in Littlehampton
:hungry:

IMG_3753.JPG

The revamped, cleaned up, cross, in Chichester.

102 miles, and 2016's imperial ton challenge completed.

:thumbsup:

https://www.relive.cc/view/791598409

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Last night shift last night, and given I'm not sure what the weather is up to I figured I should try and get the 12th and final metric 50 in for the challenge. I'm really quite pleased with myself that I managed to get this far without too many health issues, and whilst I know that to many doing 31 miles in one ride per month is nothing, to me it's been a target to achieve in my recovery. So headed out this afternoon, tired but keen. Started quite warm, and fingerless mitts were the order of the day. Not a vastly exciting ride, just one of my usual routes out Lightwater way with a small bit added to the start. I did take one picture of a deer, but it came out rubbish so not posting it...
37 miles all told, and it was getting chilly by the end of the ride. Chuffed to have completed the metric half challenge this year:wahhey::wahhey:
Now then, how about the metric century challenge next year...
Well done :okay:

gavgav

Guru

gavgav

Guru
32.0 miles (51.5km) to complete the Half Century a Month challenge for 2016 :smile:.

A bit gloomy and chilly out, but dry. I began by lowering my saddle a few mm, as I'd been having knee problems on my last few rides. Much better on this ride, only a small bit of stiffness, so hopefully that's sorted it :okay:

Out along the cycle paths to Heathgates and then along the old canal path to Uffington and Upton Magna, where a postman pulled an idiotic manoeuvre, overtaking me on a bend and then turning left across my path :cursing:. Enjoyed the nice downhill section to Withington and then along through Isombridge, where there was a rowdy local to greet me......a barking terrier in the road ^_^ and then Longden on Tern.

Turned left to Rodington and onto Roden, Poynton, Bings Heath and back to Upton Magna via Ebury Hill. I was passed rather closely by a group of Paramount cyclists which annoyed me a bit, as I climbed up East Haughmond. Really no need:headshake:

From Upton Magna I shook my fillings out along Pelham Rd, which hopefully will be better then next time I use it, as it's closed from Wednesday for 2 weeks of roadworks and then out onto Atcham straight and over the river, before climbing up to Betton and home, with a dangerous close pass from an idiot in a red Toyota. They had a gesture from me, as it was stupidly close.

Enjoyable morning out.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Another 1.5 miles around the houses to keep on track with my 2016 A Ride A Day. Still could do with a block and tackle to get on and off - I've experimented with raising the bike vertically and easing myself forward over the saddle and then lowering the bike, but that's only been in the privacy of my kitchen :whistle: - but I've found I can use the kerb as a small step and reduce the stretch. For no better reason than it's nice to post pictures, here's one of the bugger that caused me to throw myself onto the Tarmac in the first place. :smile: (Reported and apparently being dealt with.)

IMG_0367.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lovely if chilly morning at 3 Celsius. Steve E., Pete M, and me were joined by newbie Jose from Spain. He rolled up and introduced himself so we welcomed him on board. With a winter programme in our thoughts the call was for Tewkesbury. That'll be the third time in three days for me but I was content. I varied the route slightly to take in the Castlemorton lanes and Longdon Marsh is a bit of a change for Pete and Steve. Soon we rolled up to Brown's Cafe where coffee, cake and chat was on the agenda.

Our route back was the fairly standard one. Steve joined us through Hanley Swan for a change. My legs were beginning to struggle on the up slopes on the way back. That's what the winter does. Nice outing with my pals and lovely to welcome Jose too. The more the merrier. 35 smiles today and it was warmer when we got back.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
After telling @tallliman yesterday I was planning on being at Nice Pies cafe around twelve o'clock I had a time target to go along with the distance target.

I'd planned a route that meant I would get to Nice Pies at 82 miles which at 15mph would be about 12 if I left the house at 06:30, which would then mean I could head direct back home to hit 100 miles and finish the 2016 imperial century challenge.

Got up at 5:30 and it felt cold, but a mug of tea and a couple of slices of toast later I was out of the door at 06:20, ten minutes ahead of schedule.

For the first hour and half ish I was riding in the dark and it was very cold on any downhill section, but once the sun came up I soon warmed up. Saw a few rabbits and a couple birds of prey. One had a very distinct V shaped tail so I'm guessing it was a kite, regardless it was a great sight.

My average speed was a bit higher than expected so I added a couple of miles before the cafe stop and rolled into the car park at 11:55, not bad timing ^_^

As I got off the bike @tallliman walked up to me. I spotted another bike I knew and sure enough as we walked into the cafe @13 rider was in there. So we had a chat and then a gentle ride and more chatting back towards Leicester. @tallliman turned off when we got to Sileby and @13 rider turned off when we hit Cossington, both going on to finish off their metric hundreds for December and I think both completing that challenge (:bravo:to both)

By the time I got home I had 105 miles on the clock and another year done - not sure whether to thank @ianrauk or not for suggesting I do it!

Considering it is December the weather is cracking (sure I said that in November as well :laugh:)

https://www.strava.com/activities/792319686

Top Bottom