Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After nearly hacking up a lung this morning I thought I'd relegate myself to the KCC Beginners' Group's flat ride today and just take it easy. Just one problem. There wasn't one. So the Intermediates it was, then. Ten of us set off on a 33 mile loop with two big hills. I let the others know I'd probably be turning back at Stroud, but I'd see how it went. To my surprise it actually went OK, and I was able to make my way up Butter Row onto Rodborough Common even with only half my usual lung power. As ever, @Frazzle stayed back to see I was OK. Carried on across Minchinhampton Common and back to Stroud via Brimscombe before stopping for a nice social get-together at the Salmon Springs.

A hot cappucino and a lovely gloopy chocolate brownie did the trick of giving me just enough oomph to get up the back of Horsepools Hill from Pitchcombe to Edge. In fact I even found I could summon up enough energy to take @Dark46 by surprise and lead out @Frazzle past him with a storming sprint attack just before the summit. Left him for dead ... for once. (There's payback for all the times he's done it to me!). I am testament to the miraculous healing powers of cycling. Definitely seem to have ridden myself healthy today.
Cheers, Donger.

Dark46

Veteran
To be honest I wasn't looking forward to today's ride.

Due to the lack of people today there was only 2 groups a fast group which @gordyfinbar was with, and had a off today. (A nasty looking leg but still managed to finish ride. So look after the leg bud.) Plus the inter group which me, @Donger and @Frazzle were in.

There was no sign of @maltloaf as he had been on works Christmas do and over endulged and got in late.

So the inter group was 10 strong today and set off for Stonehouse and Stroud, but before we got out of Quedgeley Lisa dumped her ass saver on the floor for me to pick up.

The roads were damp but there seemed no chance of rain, which that was a good thing as I've no mud guards and didn't have my ass saver on the bike either.

The group seemed to be going along well, even if there were a couple that really shouldn't be in the inter group, but more the merrier.

There were a couple of hills in today's ride and the first one I'd never been up before. Plus @Donger wasn't feeling the best and didn't know if he's going to get up the first hill. Fair play mate some of the sounds coming from him weren't the nicest but he dug in and managed everything thrown at him.

Butterow Hill is another I can tick off around Stroud which goes up to Minchinhampton common. From here it was across the common and down Crowcombe Hill back into Stroud. Down the hill I did my usual and closed on a few people and was able to join the front of the group and stayed till the lights at the bottom of Butterow Hill. This netted me a couple of pb segments on Strava which is always a plus.

The coffee stop today was at the Malthouse just outside Stroud. I had a nice Latte which went down very nicely.

From the Malthouse it was up Edge towards Gloucester and Quedgeley. So how I managed to get a pb up there. But where there is a little dip up the top @Donger got some momentum and went passed me. So I will have to watch that in the future lol.

We today's ride was very enjoyable come the end. All in all it was just over 31 miles.

Get well soon @Donger and Chris and @gordyfinbar.

Attachments

• DSC_0164.JPG
    DSC_0164.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0163.JPG
    DSC_0163.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20161127_133507.jpg
    IMG_20161127_133507.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 33

dim

A much better ride today ... 63km ... good weather, and my 1st ride with the Garmin Varia Radar. I managed to buy it off Amazon for £100 (I only needed the back radar unit and not the front display attachment, as it links directly to the Edge 1000) ... It also links directly to some of the other Garmin Edge units

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Var...&ie=UTF8&qid=1480269884&sr=8-1&keywords=radar

It worked flawlessly and is well worth the money, so if you don't have one, get one! .... little dots appear on the side of the screen indicating cars/lorries/motorbikes .... as the vehicles get closer, the dot moves higher up the screen. When the dot is at the top of the screen, that's when the car is overtaking you .... Still advisable to look behind you though, but this gadget is really good

I stopped halfway for a sip of water, and a cyclist passed, and the radar unit registered the cyclist aswell. No other cyclists passed me on this ride, but I will test it on my next ride:

svMYEkrHwFbqLHSnTisotyv310oiN18BP2EghIY4SBQ-2048x1536.jpg

Attachments

• svMYEkrHwFbqLHSnTisotyv310oiN18BP2EghIY4SBQ-2048x1536.jpg
    svMYEkrHwFbqLHSnTisotyv310oiN18BP2EghIY4SBQ-2048x1536.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 32
Eventful trip today.

10 miles north along the coast road at lunchtime. Then on a mad impulse turned inland up the moor road.

I've never yet managed it to the top of the hill without stopping, but I came closer today than I have done before. Very pleasing. Continued on down the gentle side of the hill, then stopped to check train times on my phone- do I take the road that heads directly home, or go the other way and catch a train back? Lots of options.

Back on the bike, and round the next bend. Couldn't have been doing more than 10mph. A ditch was blocked and was overflowing across the road. 20 yards of sheet ice.

Down I went.

The bike took some damage, but nothing that can't be repaired. Broken rear light, broken mudguard stay, and it'll need new bar tape.

I fared less well. Currently an inpatient at the local orthopaedic unit. X ray inconclusive, CT scan in the morning, suspected hip fracture.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Much appreciated. Good news is that the consultant doesn't think it's fractured, but it may need a MRI to verify.

Walking with the assistance of Physio, crutches and morphine.

As others have said GWS.

One thing though,was your first thought "is the bike ok?"

Surlydave

Über Member
Last edited:
Some rides to report from this week-end;

First a couple of now (short) regular shopping trips which is basically just an excuse to post a pic:whistle:;

IMG_20161125_101121342.jpg

Saturday was a misty start for the club run which I was hoping to pick up as it went through Ely on it's way to Prickwillow,however although I thought I'd timed it right no sign of any groups even after trundling along for a bit so from there on just rode on at a normal pace.

Stopped along the road between Prickwillow and the Mildenhall rd for a pic;

There is some swans there somewhere honest!

IMG_20161126_094759817.jpg

Then on to Littleport and down Ten Mile Bank for another stop for a pic;
IMG_20161126_102712279_HDR.jpg

Then on to the cafe stop at the Welney wetland centre on Hundred Foot Bank where the easy group had just arrived and where I was informed that there was no mods group although Jon who is normal a regular 'mod' rider had also made his own way there, still time for another pic;

IMG_20161126_110229239_HDR.jpg

After a muffin and tea we all set off again although after a little while a few of us jumped off and formed a mini mods group for the rest of the ride;I turned off early and headed back to Ely for a shortened ride;

https://www.strava.com/activities/786030463

Today was a two-part ride; first a 20km ride with the better half before a solo spin to complete a 50k.Mostly a nice day apart from a short shower but a nice morning's riding;

https://www.strava.com/activities/787081594

Only a 34 mile trip, but I didn't stop for a break

https://www.relive.cc/view/786918113

https://www.relive.cc/view/787223909

A recovery ride up to middle Wallop today. I've been asked to work as a 'captain' on a 2 day 180 mile charideeee ride in May next year. So I took some of the riders on a ride at the pace we should be aiming at, over very similar terrain / elevation, and at about the distance we'll be covering, just to see where we're at. It was tough, but fun. Bring on May 17th next year.

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3726.JPG

dim

Will it still work 'flawlessly', when covered in road detritus/spray?

don't know, but I have not read any negative comments on the Garmin forums. Sadly, it will get splattered with mud during winter,but if it stops working during a ride, I will stop and clean it ... ... just one of those things .... if you want to do the miles, you have to ride them during the wet months aswell

and if you ride on quiet roads, this works brilliantly .... you don't have to hug the side, you can veer more to the middle and give it stick ... if you have mudguards, even better .... the unit will stay clean

and if it works well (like it did today) , it's worth it's weight in gold

I have ordered the protective screen though . My current commuter/winter bike is a Surly Long Haul Trucker with mudguards, and I could use it on this bike aswell (It's also a pretty good blinky light)... I also have a Giant TCR (my fast bike), and I will use it on this bike aswell ... :tongue:

so my advise (based on my 1st ride), is get one.... :becool:

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just a gentle 16 miler here in the flatlands this afternoon.through Swaffham Prior, Reach and Burwell then out to Burwell Fen to see the short eared owls. Three there today that I saw. I was lucky enough to see barn owls too on the way home. Getting chilly at dusk with Venus making an appearance low in the W sky.
Only one pic today- Split Drove.

image.jpeg

Looks a bit bleak but it was lovely to be honest. No one about at all to make a miserable sod like me very happy ^_^.

13 rider

Guru
Another Sunday another 50 miler done . Set off with no plans or route headed out towards Market Bosworth . Climbing out of Newtown Linford came across a motorist struggling to change a tyre offered assistance but neither of us could shift the bolts and left him calling the breakdown service .Out to Market Bosworth and found some new quiet lanes lovely riding . Heading back to Bosworth a rider was approaching the junction and they had to give way to me and they nearly had a clipless moment then as they set off I heard a crunch of gears looked back and I could see her getting off the bike so turned round and offered help which was greatly accepted . The chain had come off the small cog at the back and wedged between the cassette and chain stay and she could not move it . Bit off brute force and it was free quick chat and admired her bike a giant liv avail disc version very nice . Then headed home via Shenton ,Kirby Mallery at which point I worked out I get back with about 46 miles so extra loops in Desford ,Ratby and Groby and round Anstey to make it up to 50.4 miles . Pretty chilly out again added an extra layer from yesterday the wind breaker Gillet was called into action just about warm enough .I struggle to get the clothing right in winter as much asI don't like being cold I also hate getting to hot and sweaty

Last edited:
Top Bottom