I nearly killed a runner today (or at least broke his legs) while driving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I have had this happen to me. It put the wind up me hugely. Especially as there was only me and my friend's young daughter in the car. The runner banged on the windscreen and called me a lot of names and told me to get out of the effing car so he could punch me. I reported him to the police, who assured me that I had done nothing wrong.

When I used to run, I used to jog on the spot until the junction was clear. There was no way that I was going to risk being flattened on a training run.
I wonder if that jogger also cycled.... sounds familiar.

The most appalling aspect of the op is the admission to jogging on the spot. Not cool; it's straight out of a Monty Python sketch. Just stop and wait, that's the only cool thing to do.

Dan B

Disengaged member
The jogger stepped off the pavement to cross the junction , point being that he was not on the road therefore the OP did not have to give way to him , would consider the joggers move a tad stupid .
The jogger stepped off the pavement but was not on the road? But was only two inches away from the OP who (presumably) was on the road? I'm having trouble visualising where the jogger was then, going by your description. Levitating?

U

User6179

The jogger stepped off the pavement but was not on the road? But was only two inches away from the OP who (presumably) was on the road? I'm having trouble visualising where the jogger was then, going by your description. Levitating?

I was correcting your post , you said "Just to clarify, you were waiting at a minor road, and saw a runner coming along the major road, and then you pulled out anyway"

I said that he was not on the road but coming along the pavement , that was all I was saying .

Dan B

Disengaged member
I said that he was not on the road but coming along the pavement , that was all I was saying .
In law, the pavement (the legal term is "footway") is part of the road (legally termed "highway", generally comprised of one or more "carriageways" plus whatever "footways" the highway authority deem necessary and/or desirable). RTA 1988 Section 192(1) , HA 1980 Section 66(1)

So your clarification makes more sense - thanks - but is technically incorrect. Turns out so was mine (as my edit clarified). But I am still mystified that anyone would see a runner coming towards their stopped car, look the other way, and then assume it was safe to drive off without checking again where the runner was. I suppose that the OP, for one, will not make that assumption in future ;-)

albion

Guru
Runner probably failed to click that 50% of drivers fail to signal.

There is many a junction I know of where I do not dare cross until the lights are mid phase change. Most of the cars only signal after they see me waiting. not before.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

Just to clarify..........although I think the original is quite clear.
I came to the give way junction........I am due to turn left.
He was running on the pavement........coming from my left
I saw him approach the junction and slow down.
I checked right/left (he was then still on the pavement) then looked right again........then pulled out.
He decided to run straight across the front of my car.............it would have been just as easy to run behind it.

U

User6179

In law, the pavement (the legal term is "footway") is part of the road (legally termed "highway", generally comprised of one or more "carriageways" plus whatever "footways" the highway authority deem necessary and/or desirable). RTA 1988 Section 192(1) , HA 1980 Section 66(1)

So your clarification makes more sense - thanks - but is technically incorrect. Turns out so was mine (as my edit clarified). But I am still mystified that anyone would see a runner coming towards their stopped car, look the other way, and then assume it was safe to drive off without checking again where the runner was. I suppose that the OP, for one, will not make that assumption in future ;-)

I agree the op should of looked again but still think nobody should cross in such circumstances unless you have eye contact with the driver and even then I would probably go behind the vehicle .

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
It's a classic 'you can be right and dead, you are still dead' situation.

By the letter, if a road has a give way across it you have to give way to pedestrians as well as vehicle traffic although there is a nice grey clause of 'who have started to cross' for peds. The link is to the relevant bit of Highway Code. However, as a ped you almost never push it because walking (or jogging) across the front of a car puts you in the danger zone and most drivers can't be trusted to know that you have right of way.

Sounds here that the jogger saw you, slowed a bit in case you didn't stop, saw you'd stopped and were checking so decided to cross. As you pulled out, they were crossing so they had right of way. Of course the argument is were they crossing when you started pulling away, or about to start, or what. If they'd been coming from the right you'd have had to wait for them to complete. Basically treat it like a zebra.

Sara_H

Guru
Just to clarify..........although I think the original is quite clear.
I came to the give way junction........I am due to turn left.
He was running on the pavement........coming from my left
I saw him approach the junction and slow down.
I checked right/left (he was then still on the pavement) then looked right again........then pulled out.
He decided to run straight across the front of my car.............it would have been just as easy to run behind it.
Your error was pulling out before checking left again. You knew he was there, you should have checked.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ah- I see.................then checked right again? Then maybe left again? and just for luck...right again??

The fact you only just missed the jogger suggests you had broken the golden rule of motoring: Look where you are going.

Had you looked straight ahead before moving off, you would presumably have seen the jogger crossing.

If you pulled away - forwards - while still looking right, you have made a basic error.

I agree the jogger has not helped himself, but had you knocked him over and things became legal, your account is effectively an admission of driving without due care and attention.

Top Bottom