I nearly killed a runner today (or at least broke his legs) while driving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Eyes in the direction of travel FFS.
Evolution suggests eyes in direction of greatest perceived threat.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Evolution suggests eyes in direction of greatest perceived threat.

That would be eyes facing backwards because a rear ender is by far the most likely accident on the road.

Why is that?

Because there are too many drivers driving around who are not looking where they are going.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That would be eyes facing backwards because a rear ender is by far the most likely accident on the road.

Why is that?

Because there are too many drivers driving around who are not looking where they are going.

Including this one last Wednesday morning :blush:

It was still dark as I pulled out of a petrol station thinking the road was clear and because it was a tight left turn I went to the opposite side of the road as I emerged. I had pulled the classic howler of looking without seeing and was horrified to find a motorcyclist coming towards me. He braked, I braked and we stopped a foot or two apart. He was giving me a well deserved mouthful as I got out but calmed down when I made a gun motion to my head admitting my fault. Profuse apologies from myself, we shook hands and when he confirmed that he did smoke I pulled the packet with half a dozen still in it from my pocket, took one for myself and gave him the rest telling him he'd need a few when he got to work.

All ended well but it shook me up as to how a stupid mistake made in an moment of inattention could have had extremely serious consequences. As someone who spent two decades as a driving instructor and have cycled and motorcycled for most of my life so am fully aware of the dangers from muppets in cars I felt a complete idiot for the rest of the day, and still do now in fact.

Be careful out there.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Why is that?

When driver B rear ends driver A then driver B's threat perception is that the threat is to their right. From the oncoming traffic on the road they are joining. As is driver A's.

And it isn't possible to drive safely and always look where you are going.

U

User6179

]
When driver B rear ends driver A then driver B's threat perception is that the threat is to their right. From the oncoming traffic on the road they are joining. As is driver A's.

How many times we see bike cams when a driver facing you in on coming traffic cuts across the cyclist into a side street , is watching where he is going but should be watching to his left where the cyclist is coming from , you cant watch both ways at all times as you say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Driver B has no threat perception, he is just an impatient t*sser.

As regards your second point about it not being possible to be safe and always look where you are going, I would like to see you say that to a magistrate - just watch your fine increase.

What has happened is increased traffic volumes have made observing all the safe driving techniques more difficult.

For example, you should never pull into a declining gap.

Observe that and you would never move from lane one to lane two on a motorway to overtake.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As regards your second point about it not being possible to be safe and always look where you are going, I would like to see you say that to a magistrate - just watch your fine increase.
So, when driving, you never use your mirrors or check over your shoulder then?

It isn't possible to drive safely and always look where you are going.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So, when driving, you never use your mirrors or check over your shoulder then?

It isn't possible to drive safely and always look where you are going.

Mirrors are in the driver's eye line, so when glancing at one of them, I think the driver is still looking where he is going.

Shoulder checks is a point, although most of the ones I do I would be stationary at the time.

The exception would be joining a motorway, or changing lanes, which would be more a glance to the side, rather than a full over the shoulder job.

Perhaps I should do more - a couple of times I've pulled out behind a car and not realised it was pulling a low trailer.

Top Bottom