I nearly killed a runner today (or at least broke his legs) while driving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
The fact you only just missed the jogger suggests you had broken the golden rule of motoring: Look where you are going.

Had you looked straight ahead before moving off, you would presumably have seen the jogger crossing.

If you pulled away - forwards - while still looking right, you have made a basic error.

I agree the jogger has not helped himself, but had you knocked him over and things became legal, your account is effectively an admission of driving without due care and attention.
This is what I meant.

See this all the time, drivers start pulling away whilst still looking right.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
But I am still mystified that anyone would see a runner coming towards their stopped car, look the other way, and then assume it was safe to drive off without checking again where the runner was. I suppose that the OP, for one, will not make that assumption in future ;-)
It is right up there with why anyone would see a cyclist coming towards their stopped car, look the other way, and then assume it was safe to drive off without checking again where the cyclist was.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 3422478, member: 9609"]I too would have expected him to stop. As a pedestrian I would never go in front of a vehicle about to pull out at the T junction as you describe, I would expect the driver to only be looking for other vehicles.[/QUOTE]
I'd expect the same. Chuffin' depressing what a low opinion, drawn from bitter experience, we have of drivers isn't it?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This is what I meant.

See this all the time, drivers start pulling away whilst still looking right.

For what it's worth, the most common type of motor accident is a car second in line to join a roundabout driving into the back of the car first in line.

Driver of second car sees gap in roundabout traffic and pulls forward assuming the car first in line will have moved away.

You look the direction you are travelling. If turning left, left is the last direction you look in. If not you are turning left and looking right you therefor not looking where you are going.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Why did the jogger cross the road ?
To get his old age pension......
Get it???
Neither did he cos he wasnt 65^_^
(or 68 as it now is)

I'd expect the same. Chuffin' depressing what a low opinion, drawn from bitter experience, we have of drivers isn't it?
I've noticed it's also very common (in London at least) for a pedestrian to not step onto a crossing (or take a step back) if they see a cyclist - me, for example - approaching. This is also depressing.

(it is also depressing that it only applies on crossings, they don't look or hesitate if they are stepping out at a random point in the road)

Custom24

Über Member
You look the direction you are travelling. If turning left, left is the last direction you look in. If not you are turning left and looking right you therefor not looking where you are going.

Suppose you're turning left at a T, having stopped, but the view to the right from the junction is quite poor? Would you look left, and keep looking left, before you started moving off?

Also, what if the jogger had been coming from the right?

Suppose you're turning left at a T, having stopped, but the view to the right from the junction is quite poor? Would you look left, and keep looking left, before you started moving off?

Also, what if the jogger had been coming from the right?
The last direction you look is the direction you are travelling in.

Top Bottom