I nearly killed a runner today (or at least broke his legs) while driving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
So.......I am on a minor road and come to a "T" junction and I am turning left onto a busy road.
I look left and see its clear although there is a runner/jogger on the pavement approaching the junction from my left............I look right and that is clear. So I star to pull out and the stupid idiot runner HAS RUN STRAIGHT ACROSS MY FRONT........no pause-no check-just straight across the junction. I missed him by (literally) 2 inches.

Now I used to run a lot (up to half marathons) and when you get to a road junction the least you do is wait and double check.....jog on the spot etc.
He was such a lucky man.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
No he wasn't lucky. You were driving sensibly and making appropriate observations as do most motorists.

He'd have been unlucky if he'd run past the front of a car whose driver was not making appropriate observations before pulling out.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have had this happen to me. It put the wind up me hugely. Especially as there was only me and my friend's young daughter in the car. The runner banged on the windscreen and called me a lot of names and told me to get out of the effing car so he could punch me. I reported him to the police, who assured me that I had done nothing wrong.

When I used to run, I used to jog on the spot until the junction was clear. There was no way that I was going to risk being flattened on a training run.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Small kid did a suicide run in front of me last week..he stopped on the grass verge waited..then went for it.
abs is a marvel ,does shake you up

Dan B

Disengaged member
Just to clarify, you were waiting at a minor road, and saw a runner coming along the major road, and then you pulled out anyway?

[edit: having checked the actual law http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/regulation/25/made it appears that it was legal for you to do so, as the requirement to give way only applies when you're giving way to vehicles, meaning it's presumably perfectly OK to barge through pedestrians, horse riders, or cattle. Still and all, bit bemused why you didn't look to see whether he'd stopped before you started]

Last edited:
U

User6179

Just to clarify, you were waiting at a minor road, and saw a runner coming along the major road, and then you pulled out anyway?

[edit: having checked the actual law http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/regulation/25/made it appears that it was legal for you to do so, as the requirement to give way only applies when you're giving way to vehicles, meaning it's presumably perfectly OK to barge through pedestrians, horse riders, or cattle. Still and all, bit bemused why you didn't look to see whether he'd stopped before you started]

The jogger was on pavement , NOT the road !

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The jogger was on pavement , NOT the road !

The OP missed the jogger by two inches, so was the OP on the pavement as well?

Seems to me the OP may have been keeping a proper lookout for vehicle traffic, but was not keeping a proper lookout for pedestrian traffic.

The miss appears to be more by luck than good management.

U

User6179

The OP missed the jogger by two inches, so was the OP on the pavement as well?

Seems to me the OP may have been keeping a proper lookout for vehicle traffic, but was not keeping a proper lookout for pedestrian traffic.

The miss appears to be more by luck than good management.

The jogger stepped off the pavement to cross the junction , point being that he was not on the road therefore the OP did not have to give way to him , would consider the joggers move a tad stupid .

Top Bottom