I need help with a 2 speed kickback hub, anyone familiar with it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

passive jay

Hello!

I recently had an Eagle 2 speed kickback hub installed on my bike. The issue is I do not think it is working properly. This is what I bought https://handsomecycles.com/products/...hub-silver-36h the shop installed it on a new rim for me and sent it to me ready to go.

The problem is when I kickback the pedals it makes a sound like it shifted but it seems to stay in the same gear. I had a friend who is mechanically inclined put it on the bike and it seemed pretty straight forward... but I need to make sure it was installed properly before I start the process of taking it off and trying to get a refund.

Any advice for me? At this point I am starting to contact local bike shops to see if they have any knowledge of the hub to see if they can check it out for me.

alicat

Legendary Member
I don't know anything about the hub but if there are only two gears I'd go to the nearest big hill and try shifting up and down when both climbing and descending. You should notice a difference if the hub is working and been installed correctly.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hello!

I recently had an Eagle 2 speed kickback hub installed on my bike. The issue is I do not think it is working properly. This is what I bought https://handsomecycles.com/products/...hub-silver-36h the shop installed it on a new rim for me and sent it to me ready to go.

The problem is when I kickback the pedals it makes a sound like it shifted but it seems to stay in the same gear. I had a friend who is mechanically inclined put it on the bike and it seemed pretty straight forward... but I need to make sure it was installed properly before I start the process of taking it off and trying to get a refund.

Any advice for me? At this point I am starting to contact local bike shops to see if they have any knowledge of the hub to see if they can check it out for me.
I have no idea what a kickback hub is but have you tried seeing how far one revolution of the pedals will move the bike in both gears? The link says it has a 1:1 and a 1:0.67 ratio. If installed correctly, you should see quite a difference.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'm only familiar with the Sachs Duomatic. Apart from the increased ratio, it ticks in high gear but doesn't tick in normal gear.

If it's not a factory manufacturing issue I'd suggest checking things like chain tension and the alignment of the drop-out internal faces, these can create internal forces on the hub which might prevent it from shifting. If it is a factory issue your warranty rests with the store who sold it to you.

The guys at Ratrodbikes.com forum might be able to advise.

Top Bottom