I need your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
3.5k for the running of a web forum? I can understand this thing being a bit expensive to setup and run, but I have serious doubts as to the legitimacy of this thread.

gaijintendo

Veteran
3.5k for the running of a web forum? I can understand this thing being a bit expensive to setup and run, but I have serious doubts as to the legitimacy of this thread.
I know there was some downtime earlier this year whilst things transitioned to a new server.

Planning that and paying for someone to oversee it gets expensive quick. And that's assuming that we have an external person. If it was Shaun working alone: Shaun's time should not be consider a freebie.

During that transition, the scale of Cycle chat became apparent. This isn't a vanity site or a menu for a restaurant... It has terabytes of photos and people ignoring the thread topic. This is a fairly popular site.

£292 a month, assuming that this is just covering 12 months, and the new server should represent an efficiency.

I wouldn't be offended of they started another drive to get them all a take away and some cava.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is a (poor) joke, right?

Have you even got the slightest idea what things cost in the real world? There are a myriad of potential behind the scene costs that would quickly gobble up a piffling £3.5k. Hardware, software (and maybe ongoing user rights fees), accountancy (I.R will presumably look at Shaun's media empire as a business and require a tax return to be filed), legal defence, to protect against individuals or companies that feel they have been wronged and hold the forum responsible and maybe some promotional costs to help drive new traffic and users to the website rather than simply leaving it to chance.
These are just the obvious ones that a simpleton like me can think of. I am sure there are others and Shaun doesn't have to justify his request in my book!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It sounds such a simple question, then you start adding it all up.

I have done ' well the total bike cost.

Once the cost of extra food's added in ... :ohmy:

add travel / accommodation costs for events, clothing, plus other things :eek:

Then factor in medical costs. Despite being cheap for many years I'm guessing since my crash in April 2016 I've racked up a six figure sum for the NHS to date that's nowhere near done.

The server cost is miniscule by comparison.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have done ' well the total bike cost.

Once the cost of extra food's added in ... :ohmy:

add travel / accommodation costs for events, clothing, plus other things :eek:

Then factor in medical costs. Despite being cheap for many years I'm guessing since my crash in April 2016 I've racked up a six figure sum for the NHS to date that's nowhere near done.

The server cost is miniscule by comparison.
See post #72.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
A little bit of help provided.
I was going to give £X0.05, just so everyone asked the question "Which tight git only gave 5p", but the time/space continuum was working against me.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm very pleased that the donations are getting close to what @Shaun needs to keep CC afloat

However, I would suggest that the forum needs to be on a firmer financial footing that this. There are several models that forums adopt and it's not really for me to say which one would be best here. But I don't think that keeping CC ad-free and subscription-free is really tenable in the long-term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom