I need your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Assuming that ultimately it would be better to get regular monthly contributions rather than ad hoc events I would agree with @RideLikeTheStig that it would be helpful to know how how much, roughly, CC costs to run after income from advertising and commission. I honestly cannot see the annual costs being anywhere near £3,500 even before advertising & commission income but I am happy to be proved wrong.

I honestly cannot see the annual costs being anywhere near £3,500
Who said annual? Shaun was clear that it was it had built up over a long period.

Can I pick out a one line item?
including, settling development debt,

Developers cost several hundred pounds a day. It would be easy to spend £3000 on development costs alone.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Assuming that ultimately it would be better to get regular monthly contributions rather than ad hoc events I would agree with @RideLikeTheStig that it would be helpful to know how how much, roughly, CC costs to run after income from advertising and commission. I honestly cannot see the annual costs being anywhere near £3,500 even before advertising & commission income but I am happy to be proved wrong.

If you don't want to give for whatever reason, don't give, but don't ask the guy who hosts all this voluntarily to prove the costs of running the site he provides you for free.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Developers cost several hundred pounds a day. It would be easy to spend £3000 on development costs alone.
Develop what? The forum software is off-the-shelf.

If you don't want to give for whatever reason, don't give, but don't ask the guy who hosts all this voluntarily to prove the costs of running the site he provides you for free.
My understanding is that it is run as a business rather than a non-profit. I have no wish for Shaun to be dipping into his own pockets to pay and therefore would far rather know what it would take to put CC on a stable financial footing, e.g. how many people paying how much per month.

Most people seeking "donations" are happy to provide such basic information. Shaun could even say "I really want to implement x, y, and z if I can raise an extra £n a month". Some form of PR contact to counteract the lazy journalism on cyclists would be well worth paying for.

Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Well all of you can continue to donate your money on trust. I will donate if/when I know how much money is actually needed.

All those fawning over Shaun are presumably oblivious to the fact that he could sell the forum tomorrow and walk away with your £3,500 too.

Well all of you can continue to donate your money on trust. I will donate if/when I know how much money is actually needed.

All those fawning over Shaun are presumably oblivious to the fact that he could sell the forum tomorrow and walk away with your £3,500 too.
Beer costs nearly a fiver a pint in London. I've already had more than 2 beers of pleasure from CC including lots of great people and one great friend**, so if it ended tomorrow I wouldn't resent the £10.

**Edit: and a ticket to Edinburgh, thanks to @theclaud.

lazyfatgit

Maybe a small subscription after a month of use? Or 60 days free?If you don't sign up, you get adverts permanently?
How many people on here have spotify/netflix/strava/velo viewer/mywindsock etc subscriptions? A small cost for CC is probably good value.

The current model seems unsustainable. I'm sure Shaun suffered some financial hardship a long time ago, and many were happy to contribute to keep the forum running.

lazyfatgit

He'll actually be running off with only $17 of mine. Given a cycling magazine here generally costs around $15 if the site closes tomorrow I'm probably still ahead.

edit - 2 ffs in off

@lazyfatgit has it right , not that I think for one minute it would happen..

you have been told how much is needed, .... grow up

if you don't want to contribute, then don't,....but either way please do it quietly

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I gave £20 'on trust' did I? No I didn't. There is a 'product' I use. I have got far more 'value' from that 'product' in the past few years than can be seen in financial terms, not least in friendship. The real value is in the people who use CC, not least the bloke who spends so much time and effort in keeping it going and stopping us metaphorically and/or literally killing each other.
Money well spent.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Interestingly enough in all your self-congratulation about your own generosity you seem to be missing the point that if CC is losing money it is in everyone's interests, especially Shaun's, to get regular monthly contributions.

But still, you know...

0cea341dd568ed096c1cede1fb5d42b0beb32298b8c39c28c5a2f4b58d2ad690.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom