I never knew it was that obviou.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I was sat in the BrewDog in Shoteditch just now, and I was sat with some Japanese people. One of them noticed ( unprompted ) my calves and quads, and asked how far I’d cycled. I hadn’t, but I had to doff the proverbial to him.

Same with swimmers and shoulders.

ETA, shorts? Today?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It’s like when I get asked which modelling agency I work with

You mean the Play Doh modelling agency...

image.jpeg

It's a bit like the quote from the TV pundit at the time who said "Rebecca Adlington" had an unfair advantage as she was "dolphin like"

I really don't know what he meant!!!

MikeG

Guru
I'm not sure how many of us would have the ego to start a thread about how strangers have noticed our legs. Unprompted even, as though we sometimes feel the need to prompt strangers to discuss our legs.

The past tense of the verb "to sit" conjugates thus:
I was sitting
You were sitting
S/he was sitting
We were sitting
They were sitting.

Oh, and as well as any sense of self deprecation, you're missing an "s".

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm not sure how many of us would have the ego to start a thread about how strangers have noticed our legs. Unprompted even, as though we sometimes feel the need to prompt strangers to discuss our legs.

The past tense of the verb "to sit" conjugates thus:
I was sitting
You were sitting
S/he was sitting
We were sitting
They were sitting.

Oh, and as well as any sense of self deprecation, you're missing an "s".
I think that's the past progressive rather than simply the past tense as the action is ongoing isn't it?

Past tense: I sat in the chair.
Past progressive: I was sitting in the chair.

MikeG

Guru
You may well be right. However, couldn't it be said that the past progressive is one of the past tenses? In other words, was I not using the general case, and you are simply mentioning a sub-set thereof? I don't know.

winjim

Smash the cistern
That seems reasonable although I also don't know. I think the usage you describe would be correct in the context of the OP though.

What do you call someone who's an expert in grammar? Is it a lexicographer or does that just relate to vocabulary? Either way, do we have any?

ETA: I've just noticed a very obvious grammatical error in this post, but I'll leave it in to see if anybody pulls me up on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom