I never knew it was that obviou.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That seems reasonable although I also don't know. I think the usage you describe would be correct in the context of the OP though.

What do you call someone who's an expert in grammar? Is it a lexicographer or does that just relate to vocabulary? Either way, do we have any?

A thread derailer? :laugh:

I was sat in the BrewDog in Shoteditch just now, and I was sat with some Japanese people. One of them noticed ( unprompted ) my calves and quads, and asked how far I’d cycled. I hadn’t, but I had to doff the proverbial to him.
What were you doing in a Shoreditch bar with bare legs and a group of Japanese veritable strangers (they can't know much about you if they don't know you cycle) admiring your body?

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've just noticed a very obvious grammatical error in this post, but I'll leave it in to see if anybody pulls me up on it.

Is it the use of 'also' in a negative context when you should have used 'either'?

I've actually seen RR out and about a couple of times. Got to admit I could tell he was a cyclist right off too (and I'm not even Japanese!). He was riding a bike though, so maybe it was that and not just his ebony hard, ripped leg muscles that was the giveaway.

One question that puzzles me about this is what the op was doing sitting in a pub displaying his calves and quads at night? Then I read this description on The Brewdog website and it all became clear!

"BrewDog Shoreditch is part livewire extrovert, part custodian of antiquity, clad in graceful antique tiles.

Shoreditch is more than simple hipsterbait – it is an area of constant re-invention. Our BrewDog bar encapsulates that, serving a continually-changing selection of cutting-edge craft beer and amazing food. It is the very spirit of East London
."

Pretentious, moi?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
nickyboy said:
Actually it conjugates as "I sat, she sat etc etc". Don't mix up your past perfects and past imperfects, see me after class

But he didn't use the past perfect, that would be "I had sat, you had sat" etc.
"I sat, you sat" is the preterite.

Top Bottom