I occasionally wake up absolutely soaked in sweat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
If his doctor is NOT prescribing K2 as well then Dave should go back and ask why not, given the wealth of research suggesting it to be necessary! (Unless one happens to eat a K2-rich diet which very few people do these days due to changes in farming practices.)

And if the doctor doesn't know the difference between vitamins K1 and K2, find one who does!

Which of those papers suggest it's necessary for absorption ? They all seem to only talk about using it in conjunction with Vit D for osteoporosis and other bone density issues ?

vickster

Legendary Member
and more so in post-menopausal women?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I get something similar quite a bit, albeit likely not as bad. Not saying ignore it, but I think my dad tends to sweat a lot in bed, particularly legs. He's 95. That said, if it's a new thing or there there are other worries no harm in checking it out, but not necessarily cause for panic either (depending on how bad and context)

D

Deleted member 26715

I'll come at this from a slightly different angle, not saying don't go to the GP & get bloods, but with what's currently going on in your life & has been for a while I'm not surprised. It could well just be your subconscious, your brain trying to deal with your situation, I'm a naturally anxious person & as I'm getting older it's getting worse, I often wake up in a damp state.

presta

Guru
I occasionally wake up absolutely soaked in sweat.
Me too. I've had it happen on and off for 30-40 years, but it must be a year or two since the last time.
Go and see your GP.
How the other half live, it must be nice to feel you can go to the GP for something like this.
The last bloods showed I was very low on vit D
About a year ago I found out that I've been severely deficient, and probably for decades. I've been taking supplements, which might be why it's a while since I had a sweat.
Unless one happens to eat a K2-rich diet
Neither the NIHR/MRC nor the EFSA list a recommended intake for vitamin K2, and neither McCance &Widdowson nor the USDA databases list the VK2 content of food, so it's not possible to know whether you're deficient without a blood test. I've just noticed that I'm low on VK1 though, about 68% of the recommended intake.
find one who does!
It's not possible to choose.

Other things to consider:

-do you drink any alcohol before bed?
-do you sleep with any man-made materials? (e.g. non-cotton or non-wool sheets, blankets, PJs, undersheets and duvet contents)

Copious quantities of booze and man-made materials could be contributory factors.

vickster

Legendary Member
How the other half live, it must be nice to feel you can go to the GP for something like this.

I wouldn’t have an issue discussing a health concern like this with my GP, likely by phone initially if needed. I can just book online, might need to wait a couple of weeks booking online or can call to book.
Being a female of a certain age, I’d have my suspicions but this, despite my jesting earlier, wouldn’t apply to the OP!

Last edited:

SuffolkBlue

The other half ???? It is literally the advice given on the NHS website which is what I was quoting!!

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/night-sweats/

D

Deleted member 26715

The other half ???? It is literally the advice given on the NHS website which is what I was quoting!!

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/night-sweats/

I think you will find it is a comment about getting to see or even speak to a GP, in our area it is almost impossible to get an appointment, they have a cap on the number of appointments per day, if you haven't been able to get one in the period of 08:00 to 08:30 you can forget about it. Along with they will only book appointments on the same day, you can't make an appointment for something non urgent next week.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think you will find it is a comment about getting to see or even speak to a GP, in our area it is almost impossible to get an appointment, they have a cap on the number of appointments per day, if you haven't been able to get one in the period of 08:00 to 08:30 you can forget about it. Along with they will only book appointments on the same day, you can't make an appointment for something non urgent next week.

Same here, but it's "ring at 08:00", then all lines are engaged, then it's "ring tomorrow" ad infinitum.

Hope OP gets through and gets seen to

vickster

Legendary Member

Doesn't your practice have online booking for non same day appointments?
Is it a very small practice? You should lobby for them to introduce - does your practice have a patient forum? I don't think I have ever had an issue getting an appointment within a reasonable timeframe (a few weeks) and always have got a telephone appt for same day urgent stuff.
Mine has a dozen GPs probably (there are a fair few GP registrars as it's part of a training programme and several of the old partners seem to have retired in the last few years, no great loss to be honest!)

I seem to recall reading that the Govt is trying to do away with call at 8am practices?

D

Deleted member 26715

Doesn't your practice have online booking for non same day appointments?
Is it a very small practice? You should lobby for them to introduce - does your practice have a patient forum? I don't think I have ever had an issue getting an appointment within a reasonable timeframe (a few weeks) and always have got a telephone appt for same day urgent stuff.
Mine has a dozen GPs probably (there are a fair few GP registrars as it's part of a training programme and several of the old partners seem to have retired in the last few years, no great loss to be honest!)

I seem to recall reading that the Govt is trying to do away with call at 8am practices?

No idea about the forum, but yes they do have an online system but it's exactly the same, it gets switched on a 08:00, they limit the number of connections & then not much after 08:30 it gets disabled again, although the site says it's only closed on Mon/Tues at 11:00 but it lies.

We're drifting OT, but the GP access around here is terrible, not just our practise all the others are sinking to make it worse the local council have been told to build 6K houses, they have approved over 13K with no extra provision for Doctors, Schools, Dentists etc.

D

Deleted member 1258

Same here.

Top Bottom