I occasionally wake up absolutely soaked in sweat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
She wouldn't be on my list of doctors to see anymore after that.
Does your practice have more doctors,I know mine, you can ask to see a particular doc, or any that's available, or even a practitioner nurse who I always found very sympathetic and good.
There's no choice, most of them are locums I think, and you get who you're given. And I don't actually know who she was anyway.
And keep banging away, sometgings gone very wrong with the doctors side of the NHS in my opinion, its like they've rolled down the shutters since covid.
Oh I have.

On an occasion when I complained about being fobbed off with a packet of stemetil she just said "well what do you expect me to do over the phone" as if it was me who's retreated to the other end of a phone line. When I objected to having to waste most of an appointment repeating what I'd already said many times before, I got "What do you think I am, clairvoyant!". When I asked the arrhythmia nurse what elevated ST interval, high uptake, and spiked t-waves are all about she just said "I don't know, I haven't got your ECGs", so someone obviously went through 1000 pages of records removing scores of ECGs before they gave them to her for the appointment. When I told one that I've had to stop one of my heart meds because of serious side effects he just said "Oh, OK". Making phone appointments, then not keeping them and blaming me.....

All this is the sort of thing any of you can look forward to if you're rash enough to make a complaint against the NHS. I recall listening to a guy who'd made a complaint on the radio, he said his GP had told him to his face "You'll never get good healthcare again".

gbb

Legendary Member
I think it's down to your area, our surgery used to be great, but they expanded & took on 4 more areas & I suspect far too many patients. They have now pulled out of 1 of the areas stating they haven't the resource to support it. Hopefully this will allow them to improve the service,

Its also down to the individual practice I suspect. Our doctors get a right old scathing on social media by many many local people. The quality of the doctors consultation has always been good for me and my wife....once you get in. But getting in is nigh impossible, hopeless, frustrating, endless. I said up post somewhere, it's like they've rolled down the shutters.
Ironically the practice closer to us gets good feedback and lots of people are swapping apparently to them. As we are very infrequent doctors visitors, we just muddle on.
It seems to me, talking to family, friends, colleagues, many many people are losing faith in the doctors and I do wonder if the NHSs standing in people's minds suffers as a consequence.

Personally I always found 111 quite good. A&E has become a joke, ambulance times have improved, but from appalling levels in my experience. Again, the quality of care given is great but getting In is a mare...just when you really need it.

My wife in particular has never been averse to complaining to doctors or NHS and its generally kicked them up the ass and her subsequent care has seemed better, they suddenly become a bit more... more invested, interested.

And ultimately, when the chips are really down, doctors, hospitals ,all the systems seem to really kick into gear. My wife has cancer and while circumstances are delaying her surgery, we simply can't complain about the system, it moves things when you really need it.
2 weeks ago she was due for surgery but it was cancelled at the last minute, infection markers showed in tests. Despite the worry the delays are causing, Leicester hospital couldn't divvy up an antibiotic prescription because of the time, one ring to111on the way home from Leicester, a prescription was waiting in Peterborough by the time we got back.

There's lots wrong in the system, there's lots good about it too.

richardfm

Veteran
Its also down to the individual practice I suspect. Our doctors get a right old scathing on social media by many many local people. The quality of the doctors consultation has always been good for me and my wife....once you get in. But getting in is nigh impossible, hopeless, frustrating, endless. I said up post somewhere, it's like they've rolled down the shutters.
Ironically the practice closer to us gets good feedback and lots of people are swapping apparently to them. As we are very infrequent doctors visitors, we just muddle on.
It seems to me, talking to family, friends, colleagues, many many people are losing faith in the doctors and I do wonder if the NHSs standing in people's minds suffers as a consequence.

Personally I always found 111 quite good. A&E has become a joke, ambulance times have improved, but from appalling levels in my experience. Again, the quality of care given is great but getting In is a mare...just when you really need it.

My wife in particular has never been averse to complaining to doctors or NHS and its generally kicked them up the ass and her subsequent care has seemed better, they suddenly become a bit more... more invested, interested.

And ultimately, when the chips are really down, doctors, hospitals ,all the systems seem to really kick into gear. My wife has cancer and while circumstances are delaying her surgery, we simply can't complain about the system, it moves things when you really need it.
2 weeks ago she was due for surgery but it was cancelled at the last minute, infection markers showed in tests. Despite the worry the delays are causing, Leicester hospital couldn't divvy up an antibiotic prescription because of the time, one ring to111on the way home from Leicester, a prescription was waiting in Peterborough by the time we got back.

I'd forgotten about 111 for prescriptions. Last year we were going to France with the caravan and had a couple of nights south of London before crossing the channel. While there my wife realised she had forgotten her meds. A call to 111 got a prescription to a local chemist. It took a bit of toing and froing because NHS Wales and NHS England have different systems, but it was 111 that sorted it out but we were able to collect the meds before going on to Folkestone

Reactions: gbb

PK99

Legendary Member

In my experience and observation, the main flaws in the service come down to bad management.
I receive excellent service in the bits I interact with and I see good management happening around me.

presta

Guru
And what did she complain about, something trivial? The NHS and their protectors go to extraordinary lengths disseminating reams of propaganda designed to portray the complaints system as honest and fair, and complainants who are easily satisfied with platitudes like "we're sorry you feel that way" are just grist for the mill. They love those.

The ones they don't like so much are the dangerous ones who won't be fobbed off, who keep coming back with embarrassing evidence, and worst of all, people like me who made audio recordings of them lying.

It's interesting to listen to the program the BBC made about patients recording doctors. The version that went out on the World Service included UK GP Dr Ayan Panja saying “We of course already in British general practice record our consultations”, but he doesn't want patients recording him "because you have to make sure you’re doing the best possible job". Compare that with the version for the domestic market that went out on Radio 4, in which Panja's contribution has been left out. Did you know your doctors are recording you, because they sure as hell don't like it when you record them.

Have a look at what Parliament had to say about their handiwork when they set up the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman, quoted verbatim from the 24 Jan 1967 entry in Hansard:

“Anyone who contemplates an office of this kind is faced with the dilemma of making it either a Frankenstein or a nonentity—a Frankenstein if it has effective powers and a nonentity if it has not. The Government, quite rightly, has opted for its being a nonentity, and in that sense it is a fraud......I congratulate the Government on its being a nonentity......it is a noble facade without anything behind it.”

A fraud, a nonentity, and a facade.

Now have a look at Paragraph 7.69 from the PHSO Service Model Main Guidance, providing them with a loophole they can use to reject any complaint they want to, followed by an email to Broomfield Hospital from a PHSO 'investigator' coaching them what to say:

1685799147536.png

Just take a few minutes to think about what the public reaction would be like if the police had coached a defendant to stand in the dock and say "Yes your Honour, I did rape the victim, but I've stopped raping women now"

and then the judge had replied "Oh, that's OK then, off you go"

Section 15 Paragraph 1 of the Health Service Commissioners Act 1993 has been used to prevent Scotland Yard from investigating them on 32 counts of Misconduct in Public Office (that's corruption to you and me). So that's the PHSO effectively above the law.

Now tell me that the complaint system isn't corrupt and there solely to protect the NHS.

Here are a few of the findings from Kings College London research into doctors' and nurses' attitude to complaints:

"We find that interviewees rationalised patients’ motives for complaining in ways that marginalised the content of their concerns"
"it was rare for interviewees to describe complaints raised by patients as grounds for improving the quality of care"
"it was rare for complaints about care raised by patients to involve more than immediate teams"
"it was rare for a complaint raised by patients to be attended to ‘in and of’ itself: as legitimate knowledge or experience"
"We suggest that current consumer orientated/learning approaches that advise staff to ‘take complaints seriously’ or ‘receive them as gifts’ are unlikely, in themselves, to convince care professionals of the value of patient insight and experiential knowledge"

In my experience and observation, the main flaws in the service come down to bad management.
Actually, 67% of all complaints are against clinical staff, doctors & nurses, but it suits them to cultivate a public perception that the primary problem lies with admin, which only accounts for 19%.

the quality of care given is great
I receive excellent service
And those who get great service have utterly no conception that there are others who don't. None at all.

My wife has cancer and while circumstances are delaying her surgery, we simply can't complain about the system
Concurrent with the period in 2012/13 when the NHS were denying any knowledge of my heart arrhythmia I also had a referral for a bowel tumour. There were 359 patients referred in that quarter, and 358 of them were done within the 30 day target time. Guess who's the one who wasn't. It took them a month just to tell me the result of the biopsy, and that's on top of the 6 months from referral to surgery.

But you're right, you can't complain, can you.

Top Bottom