I phoned 101. I might as well not have bothered!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No you didn't.
Oh right. You're being confrontational i see.:ninja:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
[QUOTE 5222456, member: 9609"]a very quick search suggests the following -
pop 1960; 41million with 71,000 police = 570 people per plod
pop 2017; 60million with 123,000 police = 490 people per plod
(fig are uk pop & eng/wales police officers so could be more accurate)

police have less to manage now than ever before, either too much paper work or too much time eating doughnuts?

On a side note, you just have to look at that population explosion to see whats going wrong with about everything.[/QUOTE]

We've had nearly 60 years of politicians banning things, passing laws and making things illegal since 1960 though. I expect there are a lot more laws and probably a lot more managers requiring a lot more paperwork than in 1960.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Should i say something or let it go?
You should have let it go if you weren't prepared for the reaction. It seems a nice thing to do at the time, reporting someone for being indecent and disrespectful, but the aggressive behaviour only started when you initiated the confrontation.

As for 101 - like with many things they have to cover their back in case a reported incident turns into a death or serious criminal offence. If they didn't take people's details then they'd be overwhelmed with anonymous tip-offs about every minor infringement under the sun.

I know you wanted to do the right thing, but in this day and age it's better just to ignore people like that unless they are a direct threat to your safety.

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 5222574, member: 9609"]so basically they have got themselves bogged down in their own nonsense ?[/QUOTE]
Which laws that have been introduced since the 1960s would you like to see repealed? Which year were the number of laws "enough"?

https://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_information_uklawhistory.php
1962 Road Traffic Act (aka The Marples Act)
In 1962 it became an offence for any person to drive, attempt to drive or be in charge of a motor vehicle if their "ability to drive properly was for the time being impaired". No legal drink driving limit was set until 1967.

I don't really want to get rid of this one...

I wonder what percentage of those crime figures are vehicle and road related, and how the number of cars on our roads, and the number of miles of roads we have, have increased in the past 60 years?

So, that's what 20 minutes of intermittent pondering and google turned up without me having to think too hard about it. Some crimes are more common because there are more people, more vehicles, and more things. Some things weren't illegal in the 60s because they hadn't been invented then. Some things were seen as acceptable in the 60s and 70s (like drink driving, rape within marriage or, in some circumstances, the sexual abuse of minors) which we no longer deem to be OK. Thank God. I imagine that policing today is not the same as policing 60 years ago, for a lot of different reasons.

ETA - but yeah, it stands to reason it's all about the breaks and the doughnuts and coppers not being bothered. I mean, clearly it's common sense, innit?

colly

Re member eR
The police have much more to do on a daily basis than ever before. It's gradually crept up to an vast amount of record keeping and report writing. All of which in todays world is probably necessary.
The partner of one of my sons is a copper and from the moment she gets in work until (and even after she goes off duty) she is working flat out.
She gets spat at, hit, verbally abused, lied to and complained about and generally made to feel shoot all day long. I wonder she sticks it tbh. Precious little thanks from anybody.

Top Bottom