I phoned 101. I might as well not have bothered!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I posted this yesterday in the confrontational thread.
"And by sheer coincidence i've had another confrontation today. Soon after posting the above message i went for a walk like i do most days,in the local cemetery. There are a few "winos" who've been using the place to go about their activity. I happened to notice one of the winos having a pee where he sat. He just lobbed it out and peed there and then. Should i say something or let it go i thought to myself. No,something has to be said i thought. So i said to the offender that it wasn't a nice thing to do,peeing like that in a cemetery. The offender then launched into a tirade of threats and swearing. Again,in my state i had to back down. I decided to phone 101. I shouldn't have bothered! They operator asked more questions about me than the winos. After about 15 minutes of waffle,i asked if they were sending the cops out to have a word with them."We'll see what we can do" said the operator. I hung around in the cemetery for about 90 minutes,but the boys in blue didn't arrive. What was the point i thought. Now i know why folk take the law into their own hands. Hopefully the gobby wino will upset the wrong one one day and he'll get a slap".

I thought i might've got a few replies about the plod not turning up. Anyway,i've decided to seek answers from my fellow CCers. I'm just not happy! Like i said above,the conversation took about 15 minutes. I know i've posted a few times about my speech problem,but yesterday it was pushed to the limit. The conversation was near to a main road so i not only had to spell many words out to the operator who took the calls,but i also had difficulty hearing her timid child like voice. When i say child like i mean she sounded like she was on work experience. She spoke very quietly and to make matters worse i don't think she could spell very well. Anyway,the gist of my thread is about the lack of response to my 101 call. After the call i stood back,still in the cemetery but away from the offenders,waiting for the police to arrive. 90 minutes later no one turned up so i left. Then later in the day i got talking to a woman who told me she'd been subjected to similar abuse off them after asking them not to throw their plastic cider bottles around the place. Why didn't the police go to the cemetery and at least have a word with these anti social gits?! They tell us that we shouldn't take the law into our own hands and instead let the police and courts do the job,but if they don't then folk will either grumble and walk away or take actions into their own hands like giving these "winos" a good beating.
The operator asked me my DOB,my address,the height of the offenders,their build,their hair colour,what they were wearing,what they were drinking etc etc,but why?! Nothing was done about them! I felt like she would've passed the info' onto some coppers and they'd have laughed and thought "We have better thing to do than sort a few cider heads out". If that's the case why didn't the operator just say at the beginning of my call something like "Sorry,but we don't respond to trivial incidents,so it's up to you how you deal with it". It would've saved me 15 minutes of torture!:cursing:

Councils often have some kind of joint working arrangements with other enforcing bodies over issues that cross enforcement responsibilities. If it's the council who operate the cemetery try reporting it to them. Tell them you reported the incident to the police. Nothing will happen immediately but your complaint will be properly recorded and if other people are complaining then between the council and the police something should get sorted out.

Drago

Legendary Member
What do you think "having a word" would achieve? It's usually just wasted breath. Offenders at all levels rarely care what the police say to them - they wouldn't be offenders if they did! I can understand that it might make you feel a mite better, that the police had done something, but in actual fact it would have achieved zero.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What do you think "having a word" would achieve? It's usually just wasted breath. Offenders at all levels rarely care what the police say to them - they wouldn't be offenders if they did! I can understand that it might make you feel a mite better, that the police had done something, but in actual fact it would have achieved zero.
Hum,i was hoping the plod would've tipped the cider over their heads and twatted them with their batons.:okay:
But seriously, to not bother turning out,but being given the impression they would i found very patronising. So that's it? They sat there all day getting more and more tanked up and nothing happened. :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Councils often have some kind of joint working arrangements with other enforcing bodies over issues that cross enforcement responsibilities. If it's the council who operate the cemetery try reporting it to them. Tell them you reported the incident to the police. Nothing will happen immediately but your complaint will be properly recorded and if other people are complaining then between the council and the police something should get sorted out.

If this is an ongoing problem with undesirables in the cemetery, send a message to the local community officer who covers the area, you can do through the link below

The bloke who works in the cemetery told me the other day that even if they're drinking alcohol,as long as they aren't misbehaving nothing can be done about them. Yet there's a sign at the entrance that clearly states that drinking alcohol in the cemetery is not allowed. He's sick of them himself. He doesn't want to say anything to them incase they turn on him. He also said that the more people complain then the more the chance something will be done about them. I hope my 101 call will have been noted and it will help in stopping them going in. Yes i think i will contact the council and tell them i phoned 101.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've stopped worrying about what other do now to our country, if you have a go you get a load of abuse back, call the police and they do nothing, so now I keep my mouth shut.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've stopped worrying about what other do now to our country, if you have a go you get a load of abuse back, call the police and they do nothing, so now I keep my mouth shut.
I suppose some will blame police cuts. But it can't all be blamed on that. Like a friend of mine said "more police would just mean more coppers queuing up in Morrison's buying snacks for their breaks". Have they given up on enforcing the law? It certainly felt like that yesterday. Anti social behaviour is trivial to some,but not to many others.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5221450, member: 45"]There's your answer, now let's see how many pages this gets dragged out for...[/QUOTE]

And of course you'll help the page count by posting sarcastic replies quite a lot.:rolleyes:

Like a friend of mine said "more police would just mean more coppers queuing up in Morrison's buying snacks for their breaks". Have they given up on enforcing the law? It certainly felt like that yesterday.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-statistics-home-office-figures-a7851576.html
Official statistics show there were 123,142 officers across all ranks in England and Wales at the end of March this year.
This was a fall of 0.7% on 2016, and the lowest number at the end of a financial year since comparable records began in 1996.
A Home Office report said: "Records earlier than this are not directly comparable; however, they indicate that this is the lowest number of officers since 1985."
[...]
In March a watchdog delivered a highly critical assessment of the "potentially perilous" state of British policing and issued an unprecedented warning that a shortage of detectives and investigators amounted to a "national crisis".
I think the narrative that coppers all spend their days sitting around eating doughnuts is about as helpful as the one that teachers work short hours with long holidays, that all public sector employees are going to retire with gigantic gold-plated pensions, and that benefits claimants are lazy scroungers who are swinging the lead.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Move to Scotland, @Accy cyclist ......

The Scottish Government is clear that public drinking can often be a nuisance to local communities and can greatly hamper the quality of life for residents in a particular area. All local authorities have alcohol byelaws in force and that demonstrates how seriously local authorities are tackling the problem of reducing the nuisance and disorder commonly associated with public drinking. To date, more than 480 towns and villages across Scotland, together with the built up areas within the city of Glasgow and Edinburgh have such byelaws.

Local authorities have the power to make byelaws to prohibit drinking in designated public places under provisions contained in the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, subject to confirmation by the Scottish Ministers.

If you are a member of the public and wish to know about alcohol byelaws that are in operation within your area or wish to suggest that an alcohol byelaw should be brought in, please contact your local authority.

In effect this means that large swathes of Scotland are covered by local bye-laws making the consumption of alcohol in a public place a criminal offence. When the legislation was first introduced a lot of local councils made a right mess of it by designating certain streets or small areas where there was a particular problem. Of course, the problem then moved 100 yards round the corner! The division where I was stationed in the Police eventually had a blanket ban covering the entire council area. It was one of the better bits of legislation as it was a huge problem. People hanging around "tapping" money from shoppers so they could stand drinking super strength lager all day, every day, outside whatever off sales they chose. You never see them these days.

Top Bottom