I remember when motor cars were simple to fix.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The first warning I had of a behind-the-dashboard mini fire on my 1970s Beetle many years ago, was the lights going even dimmer than they normally were and a plume of smoke from the switch...
I had a friend complain from the back of my old Beetle that the seat was getting a bit hot. By the time we got to the side of the road, things were getting smokey. Fortunately the entire back seat could be easily removed, and we put it out. Turned out a spring from the back seat had broken and shorted out the battery (why was the battery located under the back seat? Good question!) which had set the seat padding material smouldering. Apparently this happened quite a lot with elderly Beetles.

Up to buying a Td5 110 County, my Land Rovers were fairly basic
The most complex thing on them (including the 300Tdi) was the radio

keithmac

Guru
[QUOTE 5077585, member: 9609"]they wern't from a main dealer, local motor factors that are usually quite good, wife got them they charged her full list price (happens to women) and that was £34 for the pair of genuine bosch flat wiper blades.

As for quality of these 'latest technology in rubber and steel' lasted 2.5 years, 11,000 mile in one of the dryest areas of the UK.

meanwhile the blades on my van which are tradition style blades have lasted twice as long went twice as far for a third of the price and still seem in perfect condition.[/QUOTE]

Our Kuga has "fancy" wiper blades, paid £20 for the pair including delivery from Ebay. They are Bosch.

It was cheaper to buy the Oil and Filter for the Powershift gearbox (genuine Ford) and have it delivered from Germany than buy in the UK..

screenman

Legendary Member
Our Kuga has "fancy" wiper blades, paid £20 for the pair including delivery from Ebay. They are Bosch.

It was cheaper to buy the Oil and Filter for the Powershift gearbox (genuine Ford) and have it delivered from Germany than buy in the UK..

Stock up, things might change.

I used to love it when my old Clio wouldn't start especially when there was an audience.
Up with the bonnet, disconnect the starter and then file with the emery board kept in the glove box for that very purpose. Reconnect, bonnet down then drive away giving the audience a cheery wave.
How I miss those times.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
To add, I have found a difference between cheap and not so cheap blades, nobody regrets buying quality.

I

Ditto Bosch wiper blades...OE suppliers to the German big 3, but buy identical items with Bosch branding and the price difference is again huge.

Genuine Citroen wiper blades for the C3 from my friendly independent garage are cheaper than Halfords own and he'll happily fit them for nowt, whilst at Halfords they want another £4 a pair for the Saturday lad to try and fit them, then give up half way through after he's taken the old ones off...:rolleyes:

screenman

Legendary Member
Genuine Citroen wiper blades for the C3 from my friendly independent garage are cheaper than Halfords own and he'll happily fit them for nowt, whilst at Halfords they want another £4 a pair for the Saturday lad to try and fit them, then give up half way through after he's taken the old ones off...:rolleyes:

Great little car, I miss my Citreons and may well be driving one again soon.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Great little car, I miss my Citreons and may well be driving one again soon.

This one is my third C3, all HDIs and I'll miss diesel when they outlaw it.
The first one did 163k at an average of over 60mpg before we part exchanged it for the second one. and cost next to nothing outside servicing and consumables.

screenman

Legendary Member
This one is my third C3, all HDIs and I'll miss diesel when they outlaw it.
The first one did 163k at an average of over 60mpg before we part exchanged it for the second one. and cost next to nothing outside servicing and consumables.

I ran Citreons for over 24 years taking each one above 180,000 at times doing 50,000 a year, never once a large unexpected bill and not once did they fail me. The same cannot be said about my last two non Citreon cars.

Or you could spray the starter terminal with Wurth Terminal Sealant, and never have to fiddle with it again...
Too late. The timing belt went despite me believing that Hal****s had changed it at the previous service as I had requested. When I questioned them about it they said they hadn't done it because it hadn't done enough miles. I knew how many miles I would be doing and the service would be due very soon which is why I wanted it done. I was treated abysmally. They denied receiving my instructions and told me it was my word against theirs. If the emery board had been to hand it might have been used as a weapon. I would never trust them with a car again.

Top Bottom