I remember when motor cars were simple to fix.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to valet cars in a Vauxhall showroom in Newcastle. Sometimes the second-handers were reluctant to start so we used to take the top off the air filter and tip half a cup of petrol down the carb. That would usually jolt them into life.

I remember the first Datsun Sunnys, what a revelation they were compared with the old Vauxhalls.

screenman

Legendary Member
I used to valet cars in a Vauxhall showroom in Newcastle. Sometimes the second-handers were reluctant to start so we used to take the top off the air filter and tip half a cup of petrol down the carb. That would usually jolt them into life.

I remember the first Datsun Sunnys, what a revelation they were compared with the old Vauxhalls.

I saw the results of that on a bodyshop manager face, so sad as he is scarred for life. Not saying that I have no done it on many occasions, but looking back it was a stupid thing to do.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I saw the results of that on a bodyshop manager face, so sad as he is scarred for life. Not saying that I have no done it on many occasions, but looking back it was a stupid thing to do.
I always used to whip out a couple of plugs and inject a few cc of petrol direct into the cylinders. Worked everytime. Mate of mine was trying to start an old Suzuki GT750 two stroke for a couple of days, when he gave up and gave me a call. I got it running in about 5 minutes.:laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

I hate car designer, alternator went on the Rav4, it was clearly originally installed before the engine was put in the car, it was a barstool to get off & on. had to kneel on the battery & cam cover to be able to lean down to it. That was Monday still suffering today, I'm getting old :eek:

KneesUp

Guru
I'd like to see a law passed that says bulbs can be changed within a minute and without the need for tools or any dismantling. And that they should be accessabile without your hand being cut to pieces and out of use for three days.
I'd vote for that. We have two cars currently. To do the indicators on the Honda you have to remove loads of plastic studs, prise the revolting wheel arch liner out of the way and then fumble around the back of the light whilst the wheel arch liner you now can't hold out of the way tries to sever your hand by pressing it into thr sharp inner edge of the wing. Your looking at at least 30 minutes kneeling next to the car. On the Fiesta you pull up two toggles on top of the headlight unit and the whol unit comes out complete with all the bulbs. Guess which car I drove with a bust bulb for about a month over winter, and guess which one I changed immediately.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I'd like to see a law passed that says bulbs can be changed within a minute and without the need for tools or any dismantling. And that they should be accessabile without your hand being cut to pieces and out of use for three days.
Here ya go.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br89MEOuLsw

My XC70 has HID bulbs, which are easier to remove and install than the ones in the video.
Takes about 2 minutes.
Genius.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had a Rover 75. Lovely car but when a front bulb went I had to take it to the garage.

Adam4868

Guru
I'd vote for that. We have two cars currently. To do the indicators on the Honda you have to remove loads of plastic studs, prise the revolting wheel arch liner out of the way and then fumble around the back of the light whilst the wheel arch liner you now can't hold out of the way tries to sever your hand by pressing it into thr sharp inner edge of the wing. Your looking at at least 30 minutes kneeling next to the car. On the Fiesta you pull up two toggles on top of the headlight unit and the whol unit comes out complete with all the bulbs. Guess which car I drove with a bust bulb for about a month over winter, and guess which one I changed immediately.
Sounds like my accord.Still running about with sidelight out,there again they are useless when working.Love the car though.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It was pretty easy to change the bulbs on my old ex-MOD Landy, just unscrew the lens. Headlights came right out with 3 screws, useful when you wanted to drain water out. For working on the engine you removed the bonnet, then stood on the chassis inside the engine compartment.

Top Bottom