I scalped the ignorant one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
While I wouldn't chase down Mr Ignorante' - I would most definitely blank the £ucker should he one day decide he wants a chat.
How would you do that?

Stare intently ahead? Raise your nose and glare disdainfully at him? Shrug and offer a gallic "pah" before effortlessly accelerating away? You could do that "Do you hear something? Is someone talking?" thing.

Enquiring minds, &c.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
What is a reasonable way of warning another cyclist that you are behind and will be overtaking, without making them jump out of their skins.

One approach I am still working on, is to change gears or try and make my bike make a noise, not difficult seeing as everything seems to be coming apart.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
What is a reasonable way of warning another cyclist that you are behind and will be overtaking, without making them jump out of their skins.

One approach I am still working on, is to change gears or try and make my bike make a noise, not difficult seeing as everything seems to be coming apart.
"Watch out on your right, mate."

"Stay left please"

"Passing on your right"

"On your right"

"MORNIN' / 'NOON / EVENIN'*"

To slightly paraphrase Anita Ward, you could ring your bell.

Get a Hope rear hub and freewheel briefly.

Alternatively, just wait for room & go around v. wide.

* (Delete as applicable)

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I have no issues with being overtaken.
Neither do I have issues overtaking other cyclists;'cause it doesn't happen.

What does annoy me is the cyclist who overtakes so close he is able to read the label inside my lycra:thumbsdown:
It's simply not necessary.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Just overtake them. There's no need for any interaction or warning.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
"Watch out on your right, mate."

* (Delete as applicable)

My son visited yesterday & demonstrated his new Hope rear hub,which he is very pleased with.
No need for any other audible warning

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Just overtake them. There's no need for any interaction or warning.

I slightly disagree - if you're going to go past close (or there's a fair chance they might change line significantly) I appreciate a warning. I guess the question is whether you should be going past that close at all though.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
"...

Alternatively, just wait for room & go around v. wide.

* (Delete as applicable)

My son visited yesterday & demonstrated his new Hope rear hub,which he is very pleased with.
No need for any other audible warning

What is it with those Hope hubs? One went passed me on a sportive the other day, the fecker woke me up!

I'm pretty cautious over saying hello to somebody I've passed these day's, I've seen so many people react by jumping out of their proverbial skin. If they note me passing wide, I usually respond but I let them make the first move.

Edit slightly OT, I passed my minute man (actually a woman) on last night's TT, gave her a wide berth but I did call out 'Up, Up!". Got the typical WTF reaction at first but a second later I heard a 'thank you' which was nice :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom