I scalped the ignorant one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
This place is turning into Bikeradar!

I had no idea there were so many middle-aged men getting angry at not getting waved at.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
To do a friendly beep you have to do "two" short beeps, try that next time.
I'm reporting as an observer, not a beeper :smile:

I'm content to hang back and wait for a safe place to manoeuvre, when driving.

Judging by the behaviour succeeding the beep, I can't recall ever having experienced an "I am here" beep in the UK, either as a driver, cyclist or pedestrian.

On the bike, I agree "two tings" is the best way to ring a bell.

stephec

Legendary Member
It's a cultural thing. Over here, the beep tends (and I mean, overwhlemingly is used to say) to mean "GET OUT OF MY WAY RIGHT NOW". The longer it's drawn out, the more willing the driver is to bring you real physical harm.

The exception is parked vehicles, where the beep means "COME OUT OF YOUR HOUSE, BECAUSE I SURE AS HELL AM NOT WALKING ALL THAT DISTANCE TO KNOCK, NO SIR."

People hear the bike bell in a similar way, although at least it's possible to thank people that move aside, apologise for startling them (if the noise did) and so on.
You forgot another use.

When leaving a friends house after eleven at night, even though you may have spent ten minutes on the doorstep saying goodbye, it is customary to sound your horn as you pull away just in case any of the neighbours who went to bed an hour ago need to be woken up.

Bellends.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Getting back to the OP, I am afraid I shall need GPS downloads, Strava segments and headcam videos for both participants, or it did not happen.

sazzaa

There i was out on the bike when he passed me again!! The bloke who's passed me about 4 or 5 times without as much as a hello or even a cough to let me know he's approaching. I know some say it isn't a requirement of cycling that you acknowledge other cyclists but i always let a cyclist in front of me know that i'm behind them or about to overtake them,so this bloke has been getting me a bit annoyed with his antics especially when i've shouted as he passes that a simple "how do" wouldn't go amiss and he's ignored me. So tonight he sailed past and i went for him! I tailed him for about half a mile then took him on the flat then maintained my position even though he was about a foot behind me most of the way. He must've been seething as he was struggling to overtake me again,i held him off for another 2 miles then turned left,looked over my shoulder to witness him giving me an unfriendly gesture! This bloke goes down my local pub by the way,we've even talked about bikes and i reckon he knows who i am,but he must have a different mind set when he's out on his bike!

I really don't understand the attitude here. Someone overtook you without warning and you take this as a signal to start cycling aggressively? Is it some kind of bloke thing? I admit, I jump when someone rings a bell, shouts, beeps a horn at me because I'm usually not expecting it and I'm too busy enjoying the ride. I don't use warnings to overtake because WHY WOULD I? If I can't overtake safely I stay back until I can and I give plenty room. I have never once felt the need to race someone who's overtaken me, ever. And even if I did, I'd resist the urge because it only makes me look like a bellend. Ooh check me I can cycle fastest. What a tosser.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
"I really don't understand the attitude here. Someone overtook you without warning and you take this as a signal to start cycling aggressively?"

"There i was out on the bike when he passed me again!! The bloke who's passed me about 4 or 5 times", is what i said.There's a clue in the "again"bit duh:tongue:! As in it's happened often before, meaning it's not a one off.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I really don't understand your attitude here. Someone overtook you several times without warning and you took this as a signal to start cycling aggressively.

Most of us would have allowed the overtakings to pass (sic) without response. Riding your bike shouldn't be a willy waving contest.

sazzaa

"I really don't understand the attitude here. Someone overtook you without warning and you take this as a signal to start cycling aggressively?"

"There i was out on the bike when he passed me again!! The bloke who's passed me about 4 or 5 times", is what i said.There's a clue in the "again"bit duh:tongue:! As in it's happened often before, meaning it's not a one off.
So this guy is faster than you and does the same route, I still don't get why it's an issue.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I often don't overtake other cyclists when I could, especially when they're on a road bike and I'm on my Brompton. It would destroy their self belief.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Maybe i didn't explain myself clearly enough? What peed me off was that i know this bloke and he knows me. Off the bike he's fine.on it he thinks he's in the peleton! He's the one doing the aggressive cycling as you can hear him almost grunting to overtake! I don't usually overtake someone who's just overtaken me,but i thought i'd do it to him to let him see what it's like to be overtaken. The next time it happens i'll just laugh at him because he now knows that he isn't unbeatable and that if i want to i can do unto him as he does to others! Anyway as far as i'm concerned the subject is now closed. If you want you can decipher every word i used in my opening post,but that's up to you! Oh and please no more name calling,it isn't needed as it lowers the tone of the conversation and detracts from the original topic!:thumbsup:

Top Bottom