I take it all back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You have my sincere sympathy!
I could handle a bit of rain if it was only an occasional shower; or if it only rained every other day for a few months in winter.
However ........ as I sit listening to the rain battering off my windows yet again, I am reminded that this year has been wetter and windier than any I remember - and there have been a lot of wet and windy years recently. Cycling in constant rain without respite is just no fun, despite what the infantile rules say. It is feckin miserable; end of! Worse than that - it's not doing your bike much good either.
I suspect that those who say otherwise don't live on the west coast of Scotland, and they might not be subject to the same damp, grey, sodden climate.
For me, cycling is recreational and is supposed to be fun. Therefore you can take cycling in the rain and shove it where the sun don't shine. I know just the place............
My commiserations to you all the way from sunny west-f^%$#ing coast. "It is only weather", I was told when I complained shortly after moving here. Then one one dreary but not-yet-raining day someone else greeted me cheerfully with a "cracking day, innit?" Well, my standards are somewhat higher than that. I want some sun or I want my money back.

arch684

Veteran
Errrm, your location is London, I rest my case. It might be "fun" to do now and again. Now imagine that it's raining like that for most days of the year, including May, June, July, August, September....... The novelty might soon wear off ;).
You never do get used to it,it eventually wears you down

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Indeed.
Wind has dropped now. I've been out walking but it's raining now. More house sorting I think :smile: It needs doing but, with the nice weather, it's been neglected.
I was planning to go out later but it depends on how i feel , bike i use for the turbo is at the LBS for a quote for repairs after the RTC .

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I'd quite like to buy a better commuting wardrobe, but I don't have a couple of hundred quid going spare this close to xmas. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a few bargains while still working in the bike shop.
To be honest, it's not the getting wet or blown away that bothers me, it's the being wet and bedraggled when I get to work and knowing I'll have to get back into the wet trousers for the ride home I don't get on with. If we had showers and drying facilities I'd probably be happier about it, it's actually not a bad ride most of the time.
I think I'm just lazy. And soft.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I'd quite like to buy a better commuting wardrobe, but I don't have a couple of hundred quid going spare this close to xmas. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a few bargains while still working in the bike shop.
To be honest, it's not the getting wet or blown away that bothers me, it's the being wet and bedraggled when I get to work and knowing I'll have to get back into the wet trousers for the ride home I don't get on with. If we had showers and drying facilities I'd probably be happier about it, it's actually not a bad ride most of the time.
Have you left there? I must have missed a massive post.

petek

Über Member
If it is raining I don't cycle.
Wind we always have here on this 'bracing' coast.
Easy way to tell if it is TOO windy to cycle is the 'Seagull Test'.
Look out to sea.
1: If seagulls are flying backwards, stay in, it's too windy.
2: If seagulls are standing on the beach in a posse and all facing the same way, it's going to become too windy and rain. Stay in.
3: If seagulls have chips and/or burger-kebab related comestibles in their beaks or are squabbling over same on the beach. Cycle on dude, it is going to be a lovely day.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

FWIW I can sympathise with you about a wet journey into work, although mine is somewhat longer than yours. Our drying facilities were removed thanks to some numpties, so the only place I can dry stuff is a small radiator next to my usual desk, (assuming I haven't been hot desked to one elsewhere). And the heating is switched off May to October anyway.
Tops and shorts tend to dry quickly, but socks and shoes are almost always damp for the journey home if they been soaked in the morning.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
leafxpro.png

Top Bottom