I take it all back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Any kind of rice would do, for example pudding rice.

But, not rice pudding.
Not sure pudding rice would work.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Looks like its winter bike weather for commuting now , dont like doing unlit lanes when its hard to see pot holes etc on skinny slicks so its the drop bar beast tomorrow .

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Commuting in bad weather is easy because you don't have a choice, you have to get to work. Grinding out a long 'leisure' ride in awful weather is worse, because you have the option to pack it in.
I have the choice of getting the bus though.
I've bought some fairly cheap lights off amazon. The rear one is useless, but the front has 1000 lumens and has made a huge difference to the unlit portion of my commute.
I still don't like the dark though.

crazyjoe101

I've bought some fairly cheap lights off amazon. The rear one is useless, but the front has 1000 lumens and has made a huge difference to the unlit portion of my commute.
Last winter I had a collision 2 weeks into my new job and I had to use the bus to get in for a spell, never again. I could leave at the same time every morning and some days I would be over 45m early and others I would barely arrive on time, riding is just way more reliable and less stressful. If in London then trains & tube are OK when they are OK but not as pleasant as bike.

Lights make all the difference, the bike I use for commuting is set up with nice dynamo lights so as a bare minimum I have a full headlight and tailight without thinking which is useful for the daily grind of to and from work, no worry about dead batteries.

Lonestar

Veteran
I would use public transport as a real last resort.I did it years ago in the rush hour and I found it very unpleasant.Last time I used the tube was when I had a collision with Stratford High Street,last December...The pedal broke off from the crank.I reckon corrosion.Another option is boris bike.Although I have used a boris bike once ,I have never used one on my commute.I absolutely love riding in the dark and never have a problem with flat batteries.I carry spares anyway.I've just redone my rear lights and now have two smart lights and one magicshine on the rear (on two bikes).Rain doesn't bother me that much but the worst thing about that is putting on soggy stuff for the commute back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Last winter I had a collision 2 weeks into my new job and I had to use the bus to get in for a spell, never again. I could leave at the same time every morning and some days I would be over 45m early and others I would barely arrive on time, riding is just way more reliable and less stressful. If in London then trains & tube are OK when they are OK but not as pleasant as bike.

Lights make all the difference, the bike I use for commuting is set up with nice dynamo lights so as a bare minimum I have a full headlight and tailight without thinking which is useful for the daily grind of to and from work, no worry about dead batteries.
I have to leave atleast half an hour earlier to catch the bus to get to work at the same time as I do if I cycle. It's ridiculous really, but some days lazy wins!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

I've liked your post for getting out in the dark, but get yourself a decent rear light and use the "useless" one as a secondary light on your bike. You might have control over someone in front of you, but someone coming behind.........

And of course no reason to hand give some f*ckwit an excuse.

Riding in the dark isn't for everyone. Mrs B cannot get her head around me enjoying it, but if you can see and be seen I would say it can only help your confidence.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The problem with using public transport for me is that I have to be out of the house and at the bus stop on time, because if I'm a minute late and miss that bus it's 30 minutes until the next one. It's odd really as the bus will be packed and standing room only well before reaching the city centre, yet the bus company claim there is insufficient demand to justify a more frequent service before 7am...yet during the day they'll happily run an 'every 10 minutes' service with buses flying about two-thirds empty :wacko:

Plus it takes longer and is ridiculously unreliable.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I've liked your post for getting out in the dark, but get yourself a decent rear light and use the "useless" one as a secondary light on your bike. You might have control over someone in front of you, but someone coming behind.........

And of course no reason to hand give some f*ckwit an excuse.

Riding in the dark isn't for everyone. Mrs B cannot get her head around me enjoying it, but if you can see and be seen I would say it can only help your confidence.
Don't worry, my existing rear light is a good one, moon something or other.
I'm not riding in traffic as I use a shared path for the entire commute now, so my main concern was actually seeing where I'm going as a couple of sections are completely unlit, but I am still visible from the rear.

Top Bottom