I think he did it on purpose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ranger

First post, but I have been lurking for a while

On my commute into Edinburgh there is a slip road that has a shared bus/cycle lane (near the Brig o' Cramond pub for those that know it). Today a bus comes up behind me, (I am a godd 2-3m from the kerb) pulls alongside really really close so I am alongside the door and then proceeds to move closer and closer to the kerb:ohmy: This continues for some 2-300 metres until self preservation took over from my usual principles of "I'm allowed to be here" and I headed for the safety of the pub car park.

I had to put this up as I need to tell someone as this is the first time in 4 years of cycle commuting I have felt really in danger from someone else's actions and if I tell the wife she will just worry more about me cycling into work every day.

What I find even worse is the other bus company in Edinburgh (Lothian buses) has brilliant drivers who are polite, give me room and don't overtake if they know a stop is coming up.

Arch

Married to Night Train
So, tell the bus company. It's not acceptable. And make sure you mention that you have always felt the other bus company to be good, it'll show that you aren't just a bloke with a monomania against buses.

I'd relate the story pretty much as you have here, calmly, with as much detail about time/place as you can (no reg number I guess?), and explain that the driver's behaviour was dangerous and unacceptable. Ask them how they intend to deal with it - if they can't ID the specific driver, they should at least remind all drivers of the vulnerability of cyclists.

You might like to direct them to the coverage of Magnatom's Give Cyclists Room campaign with First bus in Glasgow - Magnatom, have you got the link to the press release?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's not good. Do as above but don't tell the missus, they will worry and bad you from biking. Give as much detail as you can, as the time should place a particular driver, or one of a few drivers.

Tetedelacourse

I know where you are mate. Sounds horrific. So did he come alongside you on the Burnshot slip and stay with you right down to the Cramond Brig? So did he continue to do this as you both joined the Dual Carriageway? 2 -3 metres out = primary position, so you could not have avoided this incident.

Did he stop in the bus stop there? I would absolutely 100% report him but additionally if he had stopped, there would have been a serious exchange.

Where do you come in from, what time approx, and what bike? I'll say hello if I see you.

I'm on a silver Specialized Allez road bike, usually on the road between 7.20 and 8am, coming in from Rosyth to Gyle Crescent. Although I usually go B800 now that's open again.

OP
OP
R

Ranger

Arch, reasoned and calm (I hope) e-mail sent to stagecoach and I wait to see what happens on that, fortunately I got the bus number and as it is one of these once an hour intercity jobs it was easy to track it down using their timetables.

Tete, unfortunately (maybe fortunately) he didn't stop at the bus stop. I very rarely get angry/upset but this would have been the first time I would
have actually spoken to a driver because of their behaviour and I'm not quite sure I would have had an large enough vocabulary to explain quite how much he had pi**ed me off.
I come in from Inverkeithing park and ride and am now using the B800 after reading one of your previous posts, in fact you may have passed me this morning on my Ridgeback hybrid with the most yellow pannier in the world on it. Oh and LED's in my helmet

Tynan

Veteran
If I'm holding up a bus and there's room for them to pass safely I let them through, ditto black cabs

Silly to hold them up for no good reason imho

not suggesting that's what you did

I'd report that, it sounds deliberate and dangerous

Tetedelacourse

Ranger said:
Arch, reasoned and calm (I hope) e-mail sent to stagecoach and I wait to see what happens on that, fortunately I got the bus number and as it is one of these once an hour intercity jobs it was easy to track it down using their timetables.

Tete, unfortunately (maybe fortunately) he didn't stop at the bus stop. I very rarely get angry/upset but this would have been the first time I would
have actually spoken to a driver because of their behaviour and I'm not quite sure I would have had an large enough vocabulary to explain quite how much he had pi**ed me off.
I come in from Inverkeithing park and ride and am now using the B800 after reading one of your previous posts, in fact you may have passed me this morning on my Ridgeback hybrid with the most yellow pannier in the world on it. Oh and LED's in my helmet

Ah-ha! That was indeed me. Was gonna comment on your LEDs in your helmet but was toiling a bit this AM so a bit out of breath! They look good! I'll say hello if I see you again.

BTW you need a new sig line - you're definitely not the slowest commuter in town, by a long chalk!

Tynan said:
If I'm holding up a bus and there's room for them to pass safely I let them through, ditto black cabs

Silly to hold them up for no good reason imho

not suggesting that's what you did

I'd report that, it sounds deliberate and dangerous

Agreed.Same here.A bus driver gave the the old indicator flash the other day.:sad:

I do agree though buses can just cut in to the nearest bus stop a bit like a poorly aimed SCUD missile.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Welcome from another newby, Ranger.
Having had a similar experience here in Nottingham, I wouldn't bother complaining to the bus company as I did last time; I'd report it to the Police and insist they take action.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Terminator said:
Agreed.Same here.A bus driver gave the the old indicator flash the other day.:sad:

I do agree though buses can just cut in to the nearest bus stop a bit like a poorly aimed SCUD missile.

Bus passed me this morning, one of the closest yet, thro a set of lights on a dual carriageway. He was pulling into the bus stop 20m beyond the junction (crossroads).

Strange thing was, when overtook again he was completely in the right hand lane.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Poacher said:
Welcome from another newby, Ranger.
Having had a similar experience here in Nottingham, I wouldn't bother complaining to the bus company as I did last time; I'd report it to the Police and insist they take action.

It is always worth complaining to the bus company, the Police and in an open letter to the local paper as well. Try writing to Souter and Gloag, just don't expect to get a reply from the Schemie scum...

buggi

Bird Saviour
had a problem with a coach driver the other day so held up the traffic (i did apologise to them after) and had a major rant/wobbly in the street at him, called him all names under the sun and told him i was gonna report him.

was it over the top?

maybe. but it worked. when he overtook me half a mile down the road he gave me the whole road! he redeemed himself and i decided not to phone his company when i got to work.

maybe i should have been more calm and just phoned and complained, but i personally think i did more good losing my cool.

you could do the old trick of pressing the emergency engine stop button at the back of the bus.

Top Bottom