I think I’m going to convert my old road bike to single speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Strangely enough I have a similar build project coming up

My Dad was a v keen cyclist..hill climb champion, cyclo-cross etc. He died a few years ago. My mum died this year and in the garage is an old single speed of my Dad's. It's a bit battered but looks recoverable. Of course round here single speeds are useless, there's nowhere flat enough. But it might be fun to restore it a bit and then drive out to Cheshire flatlands to give it a spin

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have a similar project in the works, a Facet (Like FRAM automotive) BioTour 2000. It was made in the same shop that made Scorpion BMX bikes in California. It had an add-on derailleur set up, no brazed hangers, and I think this frame was originated as a single speed. Facet wanted a 10 speed though. It was given some nice SunTour components. I'm told the frame was Ishiwata. The rumor at the time was that the frame was made by Trek, but better informed sources say it was made by Scorpion in Chatsworth. It would have better geometry and performance, I think, as a single speed. I also want to take it to 700c, and proper SS wheels. Maybe Pista bars as well.
face-biotour-and-trail_edited-1.jpg
In 10-speed guise.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Strangely enough I have a similar build project coming up

My Dad was a v keen cyclist..hill climb champion, cyclo-cross etc. He died a few years ago. My mum died this year and in the garage is an old single speed of my Dad's. It's a bit battered but looks recoverable. Of course round here single speeds are useless, there's nowhere flat enough. But it might be fun to restore it a bit and then drive out to Cheshire flatlands to give it a spin
Your Llandudno and Scarborough routes are very good for singlespeed. The hills after Flint on the way to Llandudno are a bit tough without climbing gears but I have almost managed them and you are fitter than me so I reckon you probably could! (I'd suggest about a 70-inch gear.)

Top Bottom