I think I may have killed a driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
So I'm proceeding at a fair old lick along a two lane road, I'm in the RH lane as I want to turn right at the lights which are ahead (the left hand lane goes straight on without traffic lights) and I know the timing such that I need to be going some to make the lights... I reach them and they turn Amber just as I enter the ASL so no chance of stopping... I sail through and round the 'S' bend only to be followed by 3 cars. :ohmy:

Now the first one *may* have had an excuse for not braking as he was reasonably close behind me... but the other two were definitely jumping the red!! I look over my shoulder and clock them all, then sit up and applaud them for such great driving whilst shaking my head and then it all kicks off...

The driver of the third car reaches across his passenger and tries to wind the window down whilst beeping at me and shouting. As he's passing me now hurling abuse about me just being "a f*cking cyclist" I simply shout that he ran the red and maybe he should learn to drive. Cue much more ranting and shaking of fist at me whilst I wave nicely (possibly suggesting that maybe he pleasures himself whilst alone) and continue shaking my head. ;)

At the next set of lights about 1/2 a mile down the road I catch him again and he's at the front of the queue, in the ASL (which he enters after the lights have changed)... here we go.... :biggrin::biggrin:

I breeze past him in the cycle lane and stop in front of his nearside light (as there's another cyclist already on the left so I give them a bit of room). He starts beeping me again and hanging out of his window shouting so I reiterate that he shouldn't have jumped the red, and now he was breaking the law by being in the ASL and that he can get fined and points on his license and maybe he really should pass a test or something... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

He's almost at the point of a coronary as the lights change and I leave him there messing with his gears. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he stalled it too as it seemed to take him a bit until he passed me again on the way to the next lights... still beeping and shouting across his passenger, to which I just shake my head again. :smile:

At the next lights he's a few cars from the front and has pulled across a bit to block the cycle lane somewhat... no matter though, I'll simply go round the other side of his car whilst he frantically tries to wind his window down to shout again at me.... he's keen, I'll give him that. :smile:

I wave to him again and smile before leaving him fuming in traffic. The lights change and off I go.

I didn't see him again after that and think he may have passed away from a heart attack. Shame really, I was just getting used to his amusing shouting and beeping and gesticulating. :smile::evil:

Hope his car didn't hold too many other people up though as they carted him away in the ambulance/hearse...

Am I evil? :biggrin:;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL! Now where was your helmet camera? I'd have loved that to be up on youtube!

OTOH I'm much more wary of going ahead of an angry or wound up driver just in case they decide to use their vehicle as a weapon to assault/murder me.

col

Legendary Member
I would say lucky,that he wasnt a bloke who acted on being wound up by someone who amber gambered themselves.

Twiggy

col said:
I would say lucky,that he wasnt a bloke who acted on being wound up by someone who amber gambered themselves.

It's legal to go through an amber light if stopping would be unsafe.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
col said:

You're wrong on the amber gambling:

Sh4rkyBloke said:
I reach them and they turn Amber just as I enter the ASL so no chance of stopping...

He could have been further back, capable of stopping, and still go through legally if he thought the cars behind him were too close and unlikely to stop without knocking him off.

col

Legendary Member
Twiggy said:
It's legal to go through an amber light if stopping would be unsafe.

So why was there a massive tv add saying not to do it some time ago as it is dangerous to do it,you can use that excuse for a few things,if its dangerous you obviously were driving in an unsafe manner,are we not supposed to slow down as we approach lights,to be ready for a change so we can stop?Instead of racing through amber and then purposely winding up others who followed you through.?And then seemingly likeing the fact that the driver could have a heart attack because of your nasty behaviour,i hope someone is there with a helmet cam when you do it to someone who takes you to task for your disgusting behaviour.No wonder we are disliked more and more on the roads.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
You're wrong on the amber gambling:

He could have been further back, capable of stopping, and still go through legally if he thought the cars behind him were too close and unlikely to stop without knocking him off.

Explain why its ok to amber gamber?

He admitted to knowing the timings of the lights,and having to go some and even then he was too late,but still decided to carry on at his fair lick.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
LOL ;)
Brilliant, i reckon he broke his window winder and was busy trying to fix it for when you come past on that side again :smile:
We scared a guy on the club ride, he came past close then at the traffic lights we surrounded his car, and a few was there shouting at him. His face was a picture, he did put his hand up and smile(after he abuse and someone saying they wonted to rip him out his car) but how could yu argue with about 6 people that had gone around his car and more sitting at the back :smile:

medals

LOL!
That did make me laugh.;)
Maybe he should cut down on the caffine.

grhm

Veteran
col said:
So why was there a massive tv add saying not to do it some time ago as it is dangerous to do it?

I believe the TV ad was saying you shouldn't try to drive through an amber light, if you can stop. If you put your foot down to get through before it goes red, you probably have enough time to stop safely and thats the correct course of action.

I don't believe the ad was saying you should never drive through an amber - but that may have been lost in the simplification to get the point across in the short ad.

I though that, when driving at the speed limit approaching the green light, the amber is supposed to be phased to allow a vehicle moving at the speed limit to stop in a normal (non-emergnecy) stopping distance/time, before the light goes red. Thus, if you are closer to the light than safe to stop, you can (and should) proceed - it just most drivers (myself included sometimes) think "quick get through before it goes red".

col

Legendary Member
grhm said:
I believe the TV ad was saying you shouldn't try to drive through an amber light, if you can stop. If you put your foot down to get through before it goes red, you probably have enough time to stop safely and thats the correct course of action.

I don't believe the ad was saying you should never drive through an amber - but that may have been lost in the simplification to get the point across in the short ad.

I though that, when driving at the speed limit approaching the green light, the amber is supposed to be phased to allow a vehicle moving at the speed limit to stop in a normal (non-emergnecy) stopping distance/time, before the light goes red. Thus, if you are closer to the light than safe to stop, you can (and should) proceed - it just most drivers (myself included sometimes) think "quick get through before it goes red".

I agree,when we drive safely.
A premeditated cycle through on amber,when claiming to know the time of the lights,and only just making the amber,is a dangerous way to go.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Made me laugh - although there will be a fair few more cyclists about on Sunday.

Crap car if he only had winders !!!

You were very inconsiderate in not suggesting that he may want to go on an anger management course and also get his blood pressure checked.

I think 'jesticulating' might have wound the three drivers up.

Top Bottom