I walked a mile!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Obviously if a patient has arm/elbow/hand issues/injuries, more thought will be needed, and personal preference/previous experience of the patient will also play a part.
I think this is why I was sent home with a Zimmer frame rather than crutches - in the hope that my collar bone would heal. But I'd have never got upstairs with the frame.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Brilliant, well done! Whenever the walking gets really tough (usually steep mountains or deep snow in my case) the chorus of this song starts to go incessantly through my mind and it helps beyond any reasonable expectation. If you do not already know it, learn the chorus and you will probably not be able to stop it coming to mind. Warning! It is a grade-A ear worm, once learnt it will be there for the rest of your life. Best wishes, and ever onward…

tyred

Legendary Member
What I found is that as you increase weight bearing it becomes easier. I now walk a reasonable distance most days but my speed is low. It now takes me about 75 or 80 minutes to do my 3 mile route on one crutch.

I am hopeful of being able to bin the crutch this week. I'll see what the physio says on Tuesday.

tyred

Legendary Member
That sounds good. The physio told me I should just be using one outside (none in the house) but I'm a bit cautious when the weather is windy. I don't like windy days at the best of times.
I find using just one crutch gives me a sore shoulder after a bit. I found it easier to use two but realise it is another step along the road to recovery to go down to one.

Crutches on a windy day can sound like pan pipes if the wind blows in the adjustment holes :smile:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Ten days ago the consultant gave me the go ahead to put weight on my injured leg and last Friday I traded in my Zimmer for a pair of crutches and got a lesson on managing flights of stairs.

Since the beginning of the week I've been able to get upstairs and sleep in my own bed! I've been able to cancel my daily carers.

I've also been taking slow walks along the street when the weather has been good trying to build up my muscles again. I went a bit further today as it was bright and sunny. I've just mapped out my walk online and it was just over a mile! It's no distance at all and it took me ages but compared to this time last week it's amazing:wahhey:

Excellent news! Well done you!

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Wow, you have been determined and carefully putting in effort and are now starting to earn your rewards for it, Anne. Before too long you will be back to walking a mile or 2 and realize it didn’t even take ANY effort, then seeing even more hope in the return to riding. I hope your parakeets sang you a special sweet song to celebrate your progress! Benny raised his head to say, “Good job and continued successful progress!

F7315629-086C-4D0E-8B12-8E2B660F3AE4.jpeg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've read that the universe is expanding but I don't think I've ever noticed it before. But since November the distance from my front door to the shop has definitely got longer. How amazing is that!! :laugh:

Being on crutches for three months post-operation I found that the so-called 'Disabled' facilities were pretty awful in most places. Getting doors open on crutches and getting across smooth surfaces when raining was almost impossible; i.e. I could get into my university's underground car park, up the lift and out but not the 10 feet across tiled surface that was open to the elements if it was wet, and the 'disabled' double doors weren't self-opening so I had to wait for someone to open them for me, etc.

And yes, it seemed much further to anywhere than before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom