I want an ice free car in the morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As said upthread, an old sheet or similar. Tuck it under the wipers and the door shuts to hold it in place. Lift in the morning and throw it in the boot.
Or if you have a general anaesthetic hospital visit planned, ask for the thermal blanket they wrap you in. That will cover your windscreen and side windows, leaving just the back ones to be defrosted with warm water.

sheddy

Legendary Member
2 hot water bottles along the dash will start the windscreen thawing as you chomp breakfast.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The correct answer is get on the bike. I do miss cycle commuting and no de-icing !

Except that my brakes froze this morning. I suspect that theres dampness somewhere after all the rain recently.

I stopped & managed to get the lever working again only to find that the brakes were frozen on & the wheel wouldn't move.

Everywhere was very pretty in the frost though :smile:

keithmac

Guru
Our first Focus had heated screen, boy did we miss that when the second one didn't!.

Our Kuga has one again and it's a godsend. You would have to focus on the heating elements to even see them, never been an issue for us?.

Seen people use a "bag" of warm water to defrost windows and that looked a good idea.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Except that my brakes froze this morning. I suspect that theres dampness somewhere after all the rain recently.

I stopped & managed to get the lever working again only to find that the brakes were frozen on & the wheel wouldn't move.

Everywhere was very pretty in the frost though :smile:

Cold nights, if the bike is stored outside, I used to bring mine in, especially after lots of wet weather (freehub freezing). Wasn't an issue on the fixed gear though, and riding in lots of traffic, the brakes were 'well used'.

lane

Veteran
Big silver windscreen cover or you can get covers to go over the entire car. Park so windscreen faces morning sun. Pay a neighbour's teenager to scape it each morning for pocket money.

You would need to get them out of bed first - easier to de ice the windscreen - much

lane

Veteran
Retire!

We stumbled out of bed a 9:15 this morning.

7 am - yer 'avin a larf!

Few more years yet - wonder how many times I will have to de ice before then?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
We pop a fan heater into the car as it sits on the drive. Power from the garage. Get in and the windows are clear, and it is nice & warm inside.

Top Bottom