I want to be alone (or how to be barred from the fraternity of cyclists)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Your mistake was to say Hello. You should have just ridden past him. It was an invitation for him to join you.

Yesterday I had a numptee on 29er hybrid busting a gut to catch me who I saw in my mirrors a long way back. He just drifted by me then eased off about 10m in front of me. Suffice to say I continued at my same cadence and easily caught him as he faded..

According to dictionary.com, 'suffice it to say' means "it is enough to say this and no more" - if only you had :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't have any stories like this. :sad: I must be doing something wrong, or wearing the wrong clothes or something.

Although .... come to think of it ... some woman kept riding up behind me shouting "all up!" the other night.

OP
OP
Y

yello

wait, wait, wait ... @yello, you did a group ride and are now complaining you weren't riding alone???? Can I suggest if you want to ride on your own, you should go for a ride on your own?

...and vegetarians shouldn't wear leather shoes. I was expecting someone to make that comment and you win first prize. You ought be proud ;)

No, obviously it's a consideration isn't it? That is, if I really want to avoid all human contact then I might just become a jungle living recluse or something. But, no, there's no contradiction in wanting to ride an organised event but wanting to ride by myself. Many people do it. In fact, I was passed by some.

You see, you've twisted meanings to make it sound like you've said something quite profound, something that's escaped everyone's attention, but you present a false picture in doing that. A desire to ride by myself doesn't equate to me wanting nobody else on the road. But I think you knew that. :smile:

Edit: indeed User30090, point well made.

Audaxing in my experience is a strange mixture of solo and group riding. You ride along with someone for a while, then you ride alone for a long long time on your own, then you ride with someone else.

If you really object to sticking with someone for 1/2 hour and you are both doing an audax, then you must use your words. There is an unstated companionship on these rides, and if you want something else, you must state it.
...and vegetarians shouldn't wear leather shoes. I was expecting someone to make that comment and you win first prize. You ought be proud ;).
Ah, so when I thought you were trolling, I was right?

(I had to separate from someone I'd spent a day riding with on LEL. It was actually quite horrible to do, afterwards I felt like Joe Simpon's mate. Neither of us finished ,so that makes it even worse. But I can't see the problem of blowing off a complete stranger, or putting up with someone for 15km. )

OP
OP
Y

yello

Ah, so when I thought you were trolling, I was right?

No but you are again demonstrating the point I was making; a willingness to twist words to fabricate criticism.

Re audaxes, I don't think I see your point. Is it that you must state your riding preference, solo or in group, to others?? I have ridden many so I am aware of what happens. I've ridden them with others (either in full or in part) and I've ridden them solo. At no time has anyone ever stated anything, it all has happened naturally. You realise pretty quickly if someone doesn't want to talk!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Why not get a jersey printed with the words "I don't want company" written on it?
thumb.jpg

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I'm confused by all of this. You like to ride alone, yet you attended a popular local ride knowing that the odds of finding yourself in company would be greatly increased...what else were you expecting?

OP
OP
Y

yello

I'm confused by all of this. You like to ride alone, yet you attended a popular local ride knowing that the odds of finding yourself in company would be greatly increased...what else were you expecting?

Don't be confused JoeyB, just read the reply I gave earlier.

No but you are again demonstrating the point I was making; a willingness to twist words to fabricate criticism.

Re audaxes, I don't think I see your point. Is it that you must state your riding preference, solo or in group, to others?? I have ridden many so I am aware of what happens. I've ridden them with others (either in full or in part) and I've ridden them solo. At no time has anyone ever stated anything, it all has happened naturally. You realise pretty quickly if someone doesn't want to talk!
My experience is when i catch up with (or more likely) am passed by another audax rider, we tend to engage in conversation and stick together until one of us needs to move away. This is unstated, cause it seems to be what everyone does. My feeling is that is you don't want to do that, you have to say.

Anyway, I am still (genuinely) mystified why you rode that route that day. What is the appeal of a popular ride, if you like to ride alone? Why not ride the same route a different day?

Top Bottom