I Want!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Miserable buggers. It's a bit of cycling history. Just because it's not got a Brookes saddle, fancy lugs and a BB made of bronze.
It's cycling history the same way flared trousers and tank tops are fashion history.

I went to the cycling exhibition at the Design Museum a couple of years ago. To my eye the loveliest bike they had was Eddy Mercx's hour machine. Minimalist. Straight tubes. Lovely.

J1888

Über Member
that frame is bent, send it back. Quite clearly built on Friday after a long lunch.

Chain's knackered as well

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
:laugh: You lost me at 'ceramic' to be fair

Both Jockey's are original. Instead of a metal 'tube' running against another bigger 'tube' to get the slight sideways movement, both are ceramic on the old DA. They must cost a fortune to replace, oh and the upper jockey has metal teeth rather than plastic.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I heart Shimano but I think they've swapped material and engineering excellence for technological innovation in more recent series. I've dura ace 9000 Di2 on the ponce bike and it's just great. Really great. But I've chewed through a set of chainrings quicksharp and the non-Ti cassette sprockets are on their way out. The BB has been replaced and the jockey wheels are meh. When they go I'll look at the 3rd party stuff.

All of them have gone a bit far with weight - have you seen a SRAM rear mech weight, even the cheaper stuff, OMG. Sunrace do some good cassettes.

GuyBoden

Guru
Nice, but I prefer Chris Boardman's original hour record bike.
Rouleur_LaDrome_Corima-60.jpg

Oldbloke

Guru
Nice, but I prefer Chris Boardman's original hour record bike.
View attachment 359305

Me too.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It's cycling history the same way flared trousers and tank tops are fashion history.

I went to the cycling exhibition at the Design Museum a couple of years ago. To my eye the loveliest bike they had was Eddy Mercx's hour machine. Minimalist. Straight tubes. Lovely.
I agree with the loveliness of a classic '70s top spec road bike in the same way its easy to appreciate, for example, the elegance of a Spitfire. Both represent the best use of materials and engineering excellence with the technology available at that time and they both have, for want of a better word, charisma. But at the same time there has to be room for innovation and pushing the envelope of what's possible. Even if that leads to the occasional monstrosity (I don't think the bike in the OP is especially ugly BTW) or dead end, it still helps direct and mould the future. You can see a lot of that Look bike in any modern TT or Tri bike. What's probably missing is a lack of emotional connection.

Flairs? Don't deny your inner hippy Tim!

Top Bottom