I was bored today, so I went looking at bikes and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Absolutely. It is exactly the sort of thing Roadkill does, usually just after payday.
Many a true word spoken in ( semi ) jest.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Anyway, not to worry, I decided to chicken out. Although it was a thing of beauty ( at least from an engineering standpoint). Even I couldn't justify this N+1. I often get these rushes of blood to the head, sometimes I stick to my guns, sometimes I realise what else I could do with a smidgeon over 11 grand.

Tim Hall

If I'd spent 11 grand on a bike, I'd be more than a trifle miffed if it went "ta-pocketa ta-pocketa ta-pocketa".

Shaun

Founder

Onomatopoeia describing the hydroplane engines in the story:
“We’re going through!” The Commander’s voice was like thin ice breaking. He wore his full-dress uniform, with the heavily braided white cap pulled down rakishly over one cold gray eye. “We can’t make it, sir. It’s spoiling for a hurricane, if you ask me.” “I’m not asking you, Lieutenant Berg,” said the Commander. “Throw on the power lights! Rev her up to 8,500! We’re going through!” The pounding of the cylinders increased: ta-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa. The Commander stared at the ice forming on the pilot window. He walked over and twisted a row of complicated dials. “Switch on No. 8 auxiliary!” he shouted. “Switch on No. 8 auxiliary!” repeated Lieutenant Berg. “Full strength in No. 3 turret!” shouted the Commander. “Full strength in No. 3 turret!” The crew, bending to their various tasks in the huge, hurtling eight-engined Navy hydroplane, looked at each other and grinned. “The Old Man’ll get us through,” they said to one another. “The Old Man ain’t afraid of Hell!” . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom