I was deliberately knocked off.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I have no option but to ride 1/4 - 1/2 mile between ending of one pavement and a track I then take.

Close passed at great speed with oncoming car despite signalling to following car to slow down and wait. I dive to side of verge to avoid being killed as the car squeezes by. I think I am going to die waiting for a big bang, but manage to stay on just. I give the passing car a piece of my mind. Car slams on brakes further up and backs up toward me at speed right into my path as I am now cycling, causing me to swerve to avoid being struck. A deranged pasty faced male 35-40, unshaven, unkempt nutter appearance with only three front teeth starts shouting "Wos yor f*ckin problem!" ""Slow down and give cyclists lots more room!" Driver of car positions his car very close to me to intimidate me. I take my hand off my handle bar to avoid it being crushed. Car engine is reved several times. Car is a batttered up P-reg Ford Mondeo Estate. There is an Alsation dog in the back going bananas. Driver of car then deliberately drives his car across into me, pushing me and my bike off the road into the adjacent grass verge of long grass and nettles. I go down at about 10 mph. He drives off pretty sharpish. I am lying on my side in this verge ditch of grass and long nettles still clipped in with my bike on top of me. No one around. I am not happy. Less than 1/2 mile I have to cycle on this bloody road and I'm deliberately targetted by some lunatic! I get up pick all the grass and nettles out the bike, check myself out, shaking but fortunately ok. Bike seems ok. I have lots of nettle stings on my legs and have collected a couple of bruises. Later I find front mech is out of alignment so changing front rings is not so easy.

Today was back to driving to and from the GBW. Thought that it would be quiet with not much traffic over the holiday period. Yeah right.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Thats awful, did you manage to get his registration plate in all that?

sabian92

Über Member
Good God, I hope you're ok. That's definitely one to report even without a registration plate - that's awful.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Thats awful, did you manage to get his registration plate in all that?

I got a reg but not that sure of it, as it all happened so quick. I tried to look as I was going down and he was speeding off but was more concerned with avoiding the nettles. I got stung quite a bit. Savlon cream is great. If I ever see this driver again ................................

sabian92

Über Member
I got a reg but not that sure of it, as it all happened so quick. I tried to look as I was going down and he was speeding off but was more concerned with avoiding the nettles. I got stung quite a bit. Savlon cream is great. If I ever see this driver again ................................

Report it anyway. They can do wildcard searches and if you know the type of car, the colour and a description of the driver they might already have something against it. If you don't report it he'll think he got away with it and possibly do it again.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
If you were to use http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/ or an insurance quote site entering his registration, it should tell you what make/model car it is if its right or if you have a couple of possible numbers in your head. Might be worth doing, i dunno.

Hope you and the bike are fixed up quickly :smile:

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Good God, I hope you're ok. That's definitely one to report even without a registration plate - that's awful.

Yeah pretty bad expecially as I was cycling full distance as it was holidays. I reported lots of incidents to cambs police that happened to me over the years and they have done absolutely bugger all. I really wanted to report it but I can see them just doing nothing yet again. I shan't be doing any more road riding zilch, nada. Car for me I am afraid which is a great pity, as save for this 1/2 mile stretch which I could not avoid and was deliberately targetted, I can basically ride from my front door all the way to work 30 miles along paths, tracks, pavements and the GBW and back again.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Report it anyway. They can do wildcard searches and if you know the type of car, the colour and a description of the driver they might already have something against it. If you don't report it he'll think he got away with it and possibly do it again.

I'm sure he believes this too, laughing loudly as he sees me land in the nettles then drives off at speed laughing all the way and then with his mates. I have the impression that he may have done this before or intimidated cyclists in an equally agressive manner short of knocking them down. Bastard!

monkeylc

Über Member
Thats just really bad mate!
Worst thing is,if you had got his reg fully he'd prob get away with it anyway.
:banghead:
Glad you ok though.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
If you were to use http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/ or an insurance quote site entering his registration, it should tell you what make/model car it is if its right or if you have a couple of possible numbers in your head. Might be worth doing, i dunno.

Hope you and the bike are fixed up quickly :smile:

Thanks for the advices and sympathies. My stings aren't quite so bad now and the couple of small bruises on my legs will mature nicely. Bike is ok. Front mech re-aligned and adjusted.

I believe it is a turquoise/blue Ford Mondeo Estate possible reg P465 GDN. It had decorators stuff as well as the Alsatian dog in the back. Not sure on the numbers of the reg though but fairly certain P*** GDN. The driver of the approaching car blue it's horn as nutter man tried to pass me but did not stop. No other people around as rural in the middle of nowhere so no witnesses. I was going to report it but realistically what are the police going to do even if they were by a miracle able to trace the car? Nothing. Actually this is not true. When I was knocked down in january 2011 and injured, they came when I called 999 for an ambulance. The driver was sent on a driver awareness course instead of prosecution for driving without due care and attention. However this one I shall put down to yet another deranged pyscho loose on the roads.

sabian92

Über Member
The DVLA will give you an owner's details for a registration number if you can provide a reasonable justification. That includes "asking for the name and address of a keeper following an accident".

See http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_193598.pdf

I reckon this is probably the best bet. Once you have this and you go to the police with what happened they should do something as you've basically given them a case on a plate. If they don't then push it and threaten to go to the IPCC.

Top Bottom