I was hit by a van on Wilmslow Rd 8am Today, Advice Needed Pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sorry to hear about this incident.

Do NOT ride the bike, not only for safety issues, but you do not want to damage your case when you claim for a new frame. It might be unlikely, but if spotted riding it, they may argue that it is still rideable and try to reduce the payout.

New bike, or repair - that's a hard one.

Being new, I wouldn't want to ride a repaired bike (just like I wouldn't want to use refurbished goods like some companies replace your few day hold faulty item with, grrr).

But then - how long will it take for the insurers to sort it out?

They might even argue about the cost of repair vs the cost to replace - frames aren't usually cheap on their own, I would never see this frame as repairable so the cost to fit a new frame(and other bits) + labour might even cost more than a new bike. You'd need to get a quote for this (most insurers would want multiple if possible).

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Do NOT ride the bike, not only for safety issues, but you do not want to damage your case when you claim for a new frame. It might be unlikely, but if spotted riding it, they may argue that it is still rideable and try to reduce the payout.

That's my take on it as well, get some legal bods on it pronto and glad you are OK

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Ouch! I'm gutted for you gaz, I really hope you're ok mate?

As for the bike it's a big NO  as to riding it or any othe bike for that matter, not only might there be hidden damage to the frame and other part (The cube), but also to yourself, that haven't arose yet, I take it from you having been put on a spinal boad and the like you didn't jump up right away after the impact?

I'd caution on the safe side and leave the bike as is and not ride it at all, have it evaluated (for insurance purposes) you'll need a cycle mechanics full written report on the damage.

Good luck with every thing Gaz and rest for now mate

Best wishes

Norm

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
God damn! Glad you're perky enough to tippy tap at the keyboard. I'd just endorse what others have said - claim a new bike and don't ride that one whatever you do. That's a nasty looking knock and aluminium's not a metal to mess with. (Steel's a bit more forgiving and predictable.) I'd definitely get advice from a CTC lawyer - you should be looking to get not just a new bike but compensation for injury, time off work etc - you might even be able to add an interim bike while your overall claim's sorted out to that list. 

Davidc

Guru
Glad you're going to be OK, that's the most important thing.

I wouldn't ride that bike. Apart from anything else there could be hidden damage and partially damaged welds.

As said by many I'd get a solicitor on the job and be looking for a new bike, compensation for injuries, trauma, damaged clothes, and anything else I or my solicitor could think of.

If you get a new bike and the damaged one doesn't get taken away by his insurers you can strip it for spares as well :biggrin:

rh100

I'm glad you came out of it OK Gaz, I can't add much to the above except to say get well soon.

Paul_L

Über Member
jeez man, sounds like - all things considered - you came off lightly.

You also want to be claiming for temporary transport on the basis you can't use your bike due to the damage, and i'm guessing your bike is your mode of commute?

I suggest you keep all stuff like train tickets etc.

good luck

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If they argue frame only, also claim for every single scratched part - I did on an old bike where kit got scratched up.....new pedals, saddle, bar ends, skewers, but in my case it was me that took the hit, not the bike frame...........

Deffo need a solicitor. I do hope you are CTC/BC member you should be, as you know how much we bleat on about it !

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Remember to claim for everything that was damaged in the crash, handle bar scuffs, seat scratch, everything plus labour to fit it all. I'm sure your LBS will do you an insurance quote for all the work.
Also claim for time off work - lost earnings. Especially important if you are self-employed.

Helly79

I'm so sorry to hear that you were knock off your bike and your bike is 2days old, what a bummer. I'm glad you still able to tell us the tale and I wish you a speedy recovery. I hope the claiming goes well and that you able to get a new/repaired bike. I was knock off my moped a few months ago and the other guyz insurance was fantastic and gave me the money to buy another bike as i only brought the ped a few weeks before. So I hope you have the same luck. All the best Helen

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Evening everyone, I am feeling a million times worse right now, so not sticking around, just wanted to say thanks for all your messages of support and informaton, for those that want to know what happened

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wor...up-in-ae-pictures-of-bike-and-rider-enclosed/

I wanted to get it all down, before I forgot anything, for now im off to bed, hopfully I can add some proper comments to this topic tomorrow.

Thanks Again

Gaz

Paul_L

Über Member
do i take it from your blog that you weren't wearing a helmet?

It might not have affected what happened today and i wish you all the best but on another day it could have been a very different story.

Personally i think any cyclist without a helmet is being pretty wreckless. Sorry.

taxing

All the best for your recovery. Driver sounds like a right twat and I'd be trying to take him for all he was worth.

Paul - Nothing like being judgemental, is there? Kick a man while he's down, that's what I always say.

Top Bottom